Would you buy a $39.99 iOS Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, Aug 5, 2012.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I forgot to finish the sentence :p I'd be more than happy to buy a 40$ game then :p

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I could see oblivion running on an iPad 2 & 3.

3. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I don't think it's sad at all. I love that the major game developers are still struggling to find a foothold and that iOS gaming is still a frontier where literally anyone can potentially have a hit product. iOS has been a huge boon for indie gaming, both in creating a market for develops to sell their product and creating a huge audience for indie games that never existed before. I'm really in no rush to see the keys to the castle handed over to EA and Rockstar and Square and the other huge development houses that own the console world.

4. Myrmidon76

Myrmidon76 Active Member

Aug 23, 2012
    At the moment I can't think of any existing game that I'd pay that much on iOS devices. The ones I'd pay a lot of money for can't at the moment be realistically ported. The game should have a long playtime, a lot of captivating content and/or a large game world.

5. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    No because a game with that price must be very big, and therefore take up a lot of space on my device , which is the issue as I wouldent want to delete a £40 game but would have to as I have limited space

6. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    FF: Dimensions is going to cost $28.99 for all the episodes. Anyone going to be getting it?

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woah, really?

Pretty sure I'm going to wait and see if an HD version is in the works... but yeah, I'm gonna be gettin it. =oD

8. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
  9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I'll buy. Im sure this is "per episode" so i'll buy the first one, and if i like it, i'll buy all of them. If SE thinks the game deserves the game to be at that price point, then i trust the game to be good.

I am also looking forward to shelling out $20 to $30 for The World Ends With You which is a port of an SE RPG game from the DS. I remember it was like $30 when i bought it for my now-dead NDSL.

And i bought the TWEWY soundtrack too, that's how good it was.

11. UnleashthePower

UnleashthePower Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I would not unless the price decreased over time. I never buy video games when they first come out all of times I wait a year or so when the prices are a lot lower or for sales.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    They do decrease over time, and discounted prices come up every once in a while, but i usually dont have the luxury of waiting for that, especially if it's a game ive been looking forward to. In the general sense, even including what im going to spend for FF: D and TWEWY, im still spending a lot less than when i did during the console/portable console days. Til now, im holding back on getting a Vita just because the iOS is so much cheaper, and they have quality games as well.

EDIT: LOL i had to put a space between "FF:" and "D" because the post read it as a smiley. Hahahaha!

13. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #113 xStatiCa, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    $5 is usually the limit for me. It all depends though. There are some classics I would pay $30 instantly if they were to become available like Frontier Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters (elite 3).

14. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Wow. I don't know if that's a testament to your patience or your cheapness.

Personally I can't be bothered to wait for sales. I used to buy games at full price ( including over $100 for FF 3 ) when I was a kid. I make more than enough money to not need to wait months to enjoy a game, just to save a couple of dollars.

I hope FF: dimensions does well ( + is good ). Bring on the $30 + dollar games.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There is a disable smiles option below the text editor. See:
    :)
    :D
    ;)
    FF:D

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    According to the TA article, it sounds like this is only a $1 discount off buying the episodes individually. Personally, I've spent $60 on console titles (not recently as I've cut back --- by buying more iOS games, of course!). If I didn't like the fact that I can spread out my iOS purchases by spending a little here and a little there, I'd probably be more willing to spend $28.99.

There's certainly no reason a AAA title can't charge that much.

In this case, I'll probably opt for the episodic purchases just for financial reasons (and to stay more under the radar from the wife!).

That said, I've spent $10-$12 on SE (Chaos Rings) and Cave games so I'm not one of those "oh, it's more than $.99" guys.

17. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    SNES games are about 3mb and were $50 or more when they were released. Size has nothing to do with value of the product.

What I mean to say is, if I had to, I would pay $40 for an official Nintendo game ;).

18. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Of course I would, if the game was worth it.

19. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well said, this is a pretty strong point.
    App store should be a land of oppoturnities for indie and newcomers, they charge us as less as 1 to 7 dollar and make their business sucessful.
    We need prosperous and diversity, big company grab all money away is a bad thing.
    The sad thing is people willing to pay that much for ninetendo games, I'm not saying ninetendo is bad. But they should leave some living space for other companys.
    As we can see developers of Paper Monsters and Chop Chop Caveman pricing their games 1 dollar and still could make money. Of course they deserve more, and the real problem is pirate. If Apple could stop pirating somehow, I believe developers could earns double money than now.

20. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I am strongly against in app purchases as it degrades the quality of the game and makes it subservient to $$$. I bought Horn the other day for $7.49 yet weapon/armor upgrades depend on IAP unless you want to grind forever.
    So although $7.49 is already too much I am forced to keep feeding ths greed to get an enjoyable experience. Then what was the $7.49 for just admission? I used to love Gameloft now I don't even look at their games anymore IAP. I pay for a game I want the FULL EXPERIENCE to be included in the cost. Charge more but give me the real deal not a tapered down version with sections depending on IAP. I regret I bought Horn and asked for a refund.