Trade my iPhone 7 for a 7 Plus?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scottsoapbox, Dec 22, 2016.

1. scottsoapbox

scottsoapbox Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I currently have the iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2, but lately I've been gaming more and more on my phone than the iPad. So I'm wondering if I should sell my 7 and get a 7 plus for the added screen real estate even with the extra bulk.

I realize 1) some games (particularly PC ports) basically need a 9.7" screen or it's just annoyingly small and 2) some people have no problem gaming with the SE's tiny 4" screen.

But in general, what do TA members that have moved to the plus phones think? Totally worth it? Minor upgrade? Anyone gone plus and then back to a smaller phone?

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #2 ramzarules, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    i went from a 4s to an ipad air 2 like you. At first i loved the awesome bigger screen, but some games are unwieldy to play while on the couch or in bed, when you have to hold the ipad up against gravity, especially ones that require taps to move/ act and not v-sticks and buttons - Crashlands, Aquaria, Xcom etc and you have to hold them up with one hand and control with the other.

Last year after much thinking and reading the rumors about the +, i went to the store, and told them : Can i try to fit the 6s+ in my jeans to see how it feels? They said yes -of course. In that magical moment, i found that all this talk about big clunky movement restricting and whatnot were extremely exaggerated. You get used to it in a couple of days max. The + is the perfect size in my opinion. Big screen, can hold in one hand for gaming /reading at night and on the go. This week i was without it for service, i couldnt even do anything on the 4s except phonecalls anymore, and i had to switch positions every so often to hold the ipad while gaming.

Note, i am male, 1.74m and 80 kilos, on the slightly chubby and muscular body type, wearing normal jeans. If you think you weigh/ bulk too much, or want/ need/ to wear skintight clothes i'd give it a pass. Go for it in all other cases, you won't look back. But the best advice i can give, is go to the store, and try it for yourself, in your least comfortable clothes to see how it feels.

3. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    My experience:

I went from 4, 5S and now finally 7 Plus.

Totally worth it since i'm a big player. I would never go back to a smaller screen.

For portability while I drive, I bought on amazon a cover to put it in AND inside my bag with documents, keys, money, ...

This is the only difference in portability. I have already learned to write with one hand (this post is written with one hand on Tapatalk)

What else?

This is the best iPhone I've ever had. Battery lasts more than 2 days.

3 years from now I'll buy another iPhone with the same screen size to replace this.

4. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

Yeah I thought about going to the store but the closest Apple or Verizon store is a bit of a drive for me so I thought I'd get some feedback before making the trip.

I appreciate your thoughts and on the plus - looks like I'll be making that drive. :)

5. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

Thanks for your thoughts on the plus. :)

Follow up question: What bag do you use for documents, keys, money...?

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I got a 6 Plus and immediately regretted it. I eventually pulled all sorts of shenanigans to "downgrade" to a regular 6 and haven't looked back since. The larger screen is nice, but I'm big into carrying a minimal amount of stuff and the Plus-sized models just felt way too huge in my pockets. It was great for games though!

7. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

In Italy we use something like this: MeCool Borsa da Uomo di Tela Spalla Borsello Studenti Scuola Militare Viaggio Tracolla per Firmate Scontate Economiche Griffate Sportive Outdoor Sport Vintage università Mare Borse https://www.amazon.it/dp/B011LOTFPO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5Kuxyb23J2KQ0

And inside of that, this: Shocksock Neoprene Custodia Sacchetto Manicotto con Carabiner per iPhone 7 Plus Custodia, Colore: Nero https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01JYEZX6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mMuxybTZ4XAKV

Maximum security.

8. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

Thanks Eli. I'm a minimalist as well (no watch, key ring has two keys, ultraslim wallet) and thus my concern. I was even occasionally annoyed by my previous 6 in certain light weight shorts (more from the weight than the size) as it bounced around when I walked. However, now that I'm a professor instead of a grad student I find myself usually wearing grownup pants instead of shorts and flip flops all the time... And in my pants pocket I never notice the 7 to the point I sometimes check to see if I forgot it at home, so I wonder if the 7+ would be an issue. And with each passing year I feel like I (everyone?) spend more and more time staring at my phone.

My hope is that the next iPhone will reduce the bezels and make the plus model smaller with the same screen, but then Fall seems so far away... #FirstWorldProblems

9. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

Nice. For maximum security I go with Bluffworks pants which have a zippered pocket inside the front pocket - which I certainly hope I could notice a pickpocket unzipping. ;) I actually use these as my primary "grownup" pants I mentioned above. (https://shop.bluffworks.com/products/chino-tailored-fit-travel-pants-stone)

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    When iPhones first jumped in size with the regular 6 and 6 Plus, I tried out the Plus model at the demo area of the event and was like THIS THING IS HUGE. The regular 6 felt like the best compromise, slightly larger but not too much. So when the S models came out I didn't even think about it and got the regular size 6S.

When the 7 was announced, I was REALLY interested in that dual camera. Also, for the past several months, I'd been feeling like playing games on my 6S felt really small and oftentimes hard to read. Not even just games actually, but web browsing and stuff too. I'm probably just getting old but it got to the point where it felt like I couldn't deal with it anymore.

So I was curious about the Plus model, but I was also deathly scared that it would end up being too huge and I'd be stuck with it for a year or more. I made myself a fake Plus phone out of cardboard and that aluminum tape you use to tape up dryer ducts, and carried it around in my pocket for several days ahead of the pre-orders for the 7 opening up. I decided I was going to go for the Plus and hope for the best.

Well, the fist day getting it and any and all my fears vanished. I really was use to the size by the end of that first day, it took almost no time at all. Now I know I will NEVER go back to a smaller phone and I wish I had done this years ago. There are occasions where it feels big in my pocket, mostly just when I sit down in a chair and lean over to tie my shoes, but that's about it.

The other big revelation was that the Plus isn't the most one hand friendly phone, but neither are the regular size models, at least for me. Everything up to the 5S I could always do everything with a single hand, my thumb could reach anywhere on the screen. With the bump up in size of the regular iPhone 6, it became difficult to do many things with that single thumb, and over the course of two phone generations I'd learned how to get used to that. Well, the funny thing is all those things that were difficult to do one handed on a regular size iPhone are all equally hard on the Plus model anyway, and I'd pretty much already trained myself to work around those issues. If someone wants a TRULY one handed phone, that's what the SE is for.

tl;dr: I was hesitant about a Plus size phone but once I finally got one I fell in love and I'll never look back.

11. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #11 Dankrio, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    That's my fear. I am thinking a lot about moving to a plus since I game more and more on my phone.

However, I think it might not be very convenient to carry around.

Edit: Now Jared got me even more confused. Lol

12. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

If your priority in life is gaming at the best for next years, and having the best experience overall with all your apps, plus is must not a choice.

Otherwise if wish to sacrifice your gaming life for a smaller "old" screen, with a difference of price really minimum than go with the normal size.

Any gamer that tried the plus experience, with Netflix, landscape mode for iOS (like iPad), whatsapp with more log chat visible, ecc... knows which way is the best.

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    The problem is that I am a minimalist myself and don't carry bags most os the time.

I have no doubt that the screen is great, however I fear that I might have trouble carrying it around.

Also, one-handed handling is not an issue.

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I love my 7 plus and have had a plus ever since the first one of its kind came out. I can never go back to a smaller phone as I love gaming on it. I have no issues putting it in my pockets or anything so not sure what that is all about. I have the Apple case on it the poly one not the leather one and its amazing.

15. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback! I am planning getting a new one as soon as my plan expires (April).

Let's see how this works out.

16. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

Not tl; did read. :)

Well I took the plunge and got the 7 plus on Christmas eve. :D

My experience thus far has mirrored the above. The 7 plus is not too big. For me it is right at the edge though - any bigger would be too much so I can see why many stay with the 6/7 size after trying it.

The width difference is negligible, but man is it TALL. The bezels at the top and bottom are ridiculous - I really hope Apple makes them smaller in the next version. But the added screen is definitely worth the trade off in size for me. Everything is just a touch bigger 10%? 20%? which is nice. Web text isn't quite as tiny and landscape fits more sites 100%. Typing has fewer misses too.

The 7 plus is a two handed phone. Not for holding - you can do that comfortably in one hand - but anything else is two handed. Now as Boardumb mentioned I was really *mostly* doing that on my 6/7 anyway, so it really isn't that big of a difference. I had already switched as I found the "reachability" solution more annoying than two hands on the 4.7" screen.

Gaming: yes it is better! :D
    A) The added screen is more enjoyable in general
    B) certain games that were iffy for me on the 6/7 are much better on the Plus. For instance, Neon Chrome was playable on my 7, but not really as enjoyable as the iPad. Everything was just a bit too small from controls to aiming. On the 7 Plus it's not. It's like there is an additional usability threshold that the 5.5" screen is on other side of from the 4.7" screen.

The next test will be this weekend where I'm traveling to the Florida beach for a wedding... How will the bigger phone work in shorts? :confused: ;)

17. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    April? Hold out and see what the ip8 is all about early fall :)

18. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

As you are a minimalist, you may want to hold off for the iPhone 8 which one set of rumors says will get smaller bezels (another says the screen is going to get even bigger but I personally find that unlikely). However, by April the rumors may be more clear on what we'll get in the next iPhone. They certainly had issues keeping the 7 under wraps.

That said, buying a case and using the 14 day return policy if needed is the route I went. I figured I could try it out a lot better for a few days at home than just seeing if it fit in my pocket in the store. So you could also do that in April.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #19 Talbs, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Careful of media hype with this iPhone 8 thing. Historically speaking iPhone 7s is next with maybe a processor overclock as the improvement. Every "s" year some media sources say the next model will be a whole integer change as opposed to an "s" upgrade, only to see an "s" as normal. That said, Apple does need to compete with the Samsung 8, as per the media's reasoning, but then again, what else is new. Would love to see an iPhone 8 with reduced bezels and to anyone that's taken a look at the inside of they're iPhone 6/7 will see that there isn't any room for reducing bezels so that really would be impressive.

As to this 7/7plus talk. Plus is the way to go. I'm on my 6 plus from release and never looked back. Sure in some pockets the top of the phone peaks out, but 90% of my clothing it fits. And gaming is worlds away from the none plus model. That and if you can jailbreak, you can play iPad games on your iPhone (not all but most work), where you'll truly appreciate the plus size - anyone for FTL on their iPhone???

20. scottsoapbox

Patreon Bronze

I'd agree except the iPhone 7 was really more of an iPhone 6SS. The somewhat premature removal of the headphone jack is likely more about next year's phone than this one. Separating the bad press about that from the newly redesigned model will help it be fully praised in the media. The current taptic engine is huge and could be downsized. A more efficient processor and screen could reduce battery. Etc. Etc.

And look if nothing else Andriod phones are having no problem reducing their bezels and still fitting everything in.

I don't think the bezels are going to get tiny, but if they shrink to half there current size the 8 plus will be the same height as the 7. And THAT is the type of change that makes for a great keynote slide and a great advertisement. :cool:

Me! :D