Wireless syncing?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Aussie2, May 6, 2010.

1. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I saw an app on YouTube which showed someone wirelessly syncing their iPhone with iTunes on there computer. Anybody know what this app is and if it is out?

2. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Doesn't exist, unless something was added to Cydia recently.

You're not alone, it's been one the most requested features in iTunes for the past 2 years. Sadly, Apple still doesn't seem to appreciate that we live in the 21st century, that most of us can't fit our entire media library onto our devices, and that subsequently it would be very convenient to be able to sync and unsync a few songs/albums as we wanted to listen to them (say, from a coffee shop, or even at home when you're AFK) without having to be with 2 feet or our computer.

Streaming would be great too, but again, don't get your hopes up. :(

3. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    Do you mean sync the app or sync the CAL/ADDRESS?

4. Aussie2

Mar 24, 2010
    No, syncing of any files (music, video, apps) etc

5. wmcwmc

wmcwmc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Sumwhere
    No it's not out yet

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I'm sure it would be out, by this was most likely rejected :(

7. Aussie2

Mar 24, 2010
    Ok I've done a bit of research on YouTube and there is an app coming called wifi sync, I've emailed to ask when it is coming out and what operating systems it can be used on because it is being used with a mac on the video. I will get back to you on this

8. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    #8 bmn0210, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    If you're talking about the one submitted to the app store, I wouldn't get my hopes up, since it violates pretty much every SDK rule in the book. I think he'd have more luck selling it on Cydia.

The main problem is that there's a limit to what an iPhone app alone can do, since the sync process on iTunes' side also depends heavily on the USB interface (as some folks who tried to enable firewire syncing a few years back realized), meaning that in order for performance to be anywhere near ideal (for 802.11n at an average speed of 70Mb/s, transferring a typical album should barely take a few seconds, and 1-3 minutes at a typical Starbucks hotspot), someone would need to rewrite the process that takes place within iTunes itself, possibly through some sort of patch. More than likely we'll still be waiting by the time iTunes 12 or whatever come around and Apple finally decides to implement wifi and OTA tranfers.

The other problem is the risk of disconnection, mainly for 3G users. Which actually shouldn't be a problem in theory, yet if you've ever knocked your sync cable out of the USB port during a sync, you'll know that it takes quite a while to recover from. Of course, fixing this would requires Apple to come up with a syncing system that actually works properly.

In short, until Apple (or someone else) fixes their sync process, this isn't getting out of beta.