Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    3DS XL and New Super Mario Bros. 2 comes out today in the US!

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Can't wait! NSMB2 is going to be awesome!

3. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Me and my bro picked up the new mario and its a blast! Co-op has always been a lot of fun in these games and this one is no different!

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Is the co-op download and play or do you need two copies of the game?

5. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    You need 2 copies

6. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Going to gamestop now with my brother to pick up his XL. Pretty excited to see how it looks.

7. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    picked up an XL last night, can't believe how much of a difference the bigger screen makes for 3D. I can honestly say that I have never seen anything "pop" out of the 3ds' screen as obvious as it has on the XL. In Starfox64's intro, the arwing's wingtip kinda came out of the screen by a milimeter or two on the 3DS, but on the XL it looks like the entire wing is out by almost a quarter inch.

I think this is how the 3DS should have launched, to be honest. The form factor is great, and I'm happy to be moving away from the notion that handhelds need to be tiny, but rather comfortable to hold for extended periods of time, and naturally - easy to see.

8. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Haha really happy! As an early birthday present my bro decided to purchase one for me!

Haha trying to the transfer now

9. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I picked mine up as a bday present to myself, released on the same day!

Transfer takes quite a bit of time, but it worked quite flawlessly. The only thing to note is that the original 3ds came with a smaller SD card I think, the XL has 4gb. I bought an 8gb for my original 3ds, and as the last step in the transfer process, it asks you to physically move the SD card from the source 3ds to the target (XL) to finish the transfer. Worked well for me since I was going to move my 8gb to the xl anyway, not sure if its going to be that smooth for others.

10. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to stick with my 3DS.

I would really love to buy the XL, but I don't have enough at the moment.

Also, I bought NSMB2 and it's wonderful.

11. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Picked up my XL yesterday and am in love with the system. There's just something to the larger screen size that adds more depth (pardon the pun) to the 3D and makes it "pop" more.

I'm sure it will wear off, but I'm always in awe when I get a new system. The XL is just so beautiful looking as a piece of hardware. The only thing that stands out is the cartridge color now - contrasts with the black color of the system.

On a side note, I told my wife that I traded in my 3DS and showed her the XL. She looked and asked me "why, what's the difference between that and your old one"?

12. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
  13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Picked up a 3DS XL yesterday (in exchange for my old one at GameStop), and I really like it. I think the design looks better than that of the original 3DS, and the big screen looks really nice with most games- Resident Evil: Revelations, Kingdom Hearts: 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time especially. Putting games in 2D mode looks better to me for some reason- I think it's because with the smaller screen, having it 2D made it look even smaller (I still mainly play in 3D). I also think the screen is a little bit more colorful than the older screen. It definitely has a slightly different hue- has a more warm look than a cold look. The 3D also seems to have more depth to it- the 3D itself hasn't changed though, it's just due to the larger screen.

It's also much more comfortable to hold. The original 3DS cramped my hands, the pointy corners would start to hurt my palms, and my fingers on the shoulder buttons would sometimes touch. Those issues are gone for me.

My only issues so far are that it sounds a lot quieter than the original 3DS (but the sound quality sounds a lot better and less tinny- so I'm okay with it), and that I have one stuck pixel (it's only when the screen shows really dark colors though). I might exchange it if it weren't for the stupid transfer system. I guess could send it into Nintendo- but I'm hoping it gets better by itself (has in the past for me).

14. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I agree. I was praying for a system with no dead pixels and was lucky enough to get one. The transfer system is a huge pain. I'm sure if you wait a week then explain your situation with the people who you bought it from at gamestop they would be happy to exchange it for you.

15. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm so hoping they unveil TWEWY 2 for the 3DS

16. Looks like that's not happening anytime soon.

What is up with Square Enix lately? Fans want a TWEWY sequel, and SE responds by making an iOS port. Fans dislike the FFXIII games, and SE responds by hinting at a new FFXIII project. Fans want to see more of FF Versus XIII, and SE responds by merely saying it's not canceled.

17. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Just bought the xl two days ago. Awesome system and the screen is bigger than the dsi xl.

Also, GameStop has kingdom hearts 3ds for $29.99 and just bought that

18. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    The director of Versus recently said that it's "unbelievably amazing" when he was asked about it the other day. Basically- Trololol :p

19. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

I found a way to fix a "stuck" pixel.

Press on the screen where the pixel is at until the discoloration appears, as soon the weird black blotch appears release.

It should be gone.

Worked for me.