Universal Cabals: The Card Game (by Kyy Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Wow, ok. It would be really good to have that info in the game somewhere - I had no idea about that aspect of the game. I actually thought those symbols indicated the rarity of the card and its faction.

Well, I'd like to put in my vote that 1) single player games be saved either locally or on the server and 2) an option (agreed upon by both players) exist for longer turn times (like 30 min, 1 hour, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days) - something you'd select after choosing multiplayer game and before it starts matching you up.

2. Kyy Games

Kyy Games Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    We're considering many things, some are more current than others ;)
    That's as much as I can reveal at the moment.

Cheers,
    Mika

[​IMG]

Play Cabals!

3. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Fwiw, I downloaded the update and do not see the new cards listed in the store.

4. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Everything working fine now, cards inserted to shop and Android download fixed.

5. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Cabals Updated - New Cards and Maps!

New cards:

• Vasilisa's Doll (Bearclaw Brotherhood) Action | 2B | Target unit gains +1 Stamina and Toughness. Draw 1 card.
    • Cursed Duchess (Danann Covenant) Unit (4) | 5GG | When conquers a tile: +1 stamina.
    • Aviator (Vril Society) Unit (3) | 5R | Fast attack.
    • Carve the Skin (Order of Zahir) Action | 3Y | Target unit gains +2 power and Slow attack.
    List of changes:

• Two new maps: Valley & Squared.
    • Clone / Mimic bug fixed.
    • Other bug fixes.

[​IMG]

Install Cabals: The Card Game
    iTunes AppStore
    Android Market
    PC
    Mac

6. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Great stuff. Any news on the mooted ladder reset?

7. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Ladder reset will happen in few weeks.

When it takes place, the new season will start with a week-tournament followed by several major additions to the game.

Cheers,
    Mika
    Ceo, Founder

8. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    It's grand to see the game slowly growing; this is really living up to the potential I saw in it.

One thing I'd like to suggest, however, is that there be a way to permanently delete a deck. If there's currently a way to do this, I must have missed it somehow.

9. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Trashcan - icon inside the deck editor lets you delete the selected deck.
    Later on you'll also be able to name the decks individually, so that 5 decks of same hero will be easier to tell apart.

10. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Great. The symbols have always been a bit lame. Being able to name a deck is a much better way to go.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    With the latest and definitively greatest update of Cabals and the introduction of rewards for multiplayer, I'm going to start playing online big time, in preparation for async.

However, Kyy Games, might we beseech you for some more traditional friend functionality? Adding users by their names/email, a list where we can see if they are online (combined with user profiles, etc, all very conductive to an active multiplayer community), and, if so, invite them to a game? While yer at it, a traditional lobby, where we can create both open and password-protected/invite only games.

Challenging friend with an accompanying push notification, a mechanic used in async games and in some realtime multiplayer games, would also do wonders for friendly matchmaking.

The current system is extremely limited. To be able to actually play against a friend, we'd basically have to be on another phone, since we can't even exit Cabals to send the friend code without breaking the matchmaking connection. This also puts a very effective stopper to building up a number of online-only friends, or friend-adding strangers after nice games.

Furthermore, might we eventually see actual Influence as a reward for multiplayer matches (even if in very small amounts, as to not make purchasing influence redundant)? Awarding small amounts of the IAP currency is done in different ways and works very well in many TGCs for iOS. Urban Rivals, Shadow Era and Assassin's Creed: Recollection are three great examples of how.

12. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Great to hear Ayjona!

We have a lot planned for this, it will be implemented in updates during season 2.
    And yes, season 1 is coming to an end in few weeks.
    It will be initiated by a ladder reset and a tournament with great prizes.

Daily quests, influence rewards and more coming in Season 2 as well.

Official announcement will be made later.

[​IMG]

Cabals: The Card Game

13. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    iPad Retina update?

14. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Cabals: The Card Game – the first season is coming to an end

First season complete

Cabals has been out for almost five months. During this seemingly short period of time a lot has happened. Last November the game was released on four different platforms, and in a few months its content has almost been doubled with 24 new cards, four new maps and various enhancements throughout the game. Tournaments have been arranged by both the developers and the community.

Kyy Games has interacted closely with the community. We will keep improving the game together with the helpful feedback from the players. The Cabals forum has been a particularly productive medium in this regard and we continue to read every message we receive through the forum, email and instant feedback.

The Kyy Games developers' bag is full of ideas and features for the second season. We will be announcing them in due time. The key topics that we'll focus on during season two will be the social, rewarding and competing elements of the game. The first major expansion of Cabals is under development and will be released during summer 2012. More details will be released soon.

Leaderboard reset and a Tournament launches the 2nd Season of Cabals

Second season starts with a tournament on this Friday the 13th. Leaderboard will be reset at 16.00 CKT "Central Kyy Time" (GMT +3) starting the tournament. Tournament ends on April 20th. Rules are simple: Play as well as you can and after a week we have a winner. Top 5 leaderboard players will receive prizes. Winner will also receive a Cabals painting.

Welcome to participate and Good Luck!

[​IMG]
    Free Downloads here. (iOS, Android, Mac, Pc)

15. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #495 LCDDreams, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    [edit] Didn't mean to post - how do I delete this?

16. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I've been experiencing some problems with multiplayer games recently (or else I still don't understand everything about the game). A few instances have occurred in which my opponent does something to my units that I completely miss, either because any messaging is so brief I don't get to read it, or because no alert occurs at all. For example, in one of my last games, my opponent got rid of one of my pieces - I think he sent it back to my hand, but I'm not sure (I couldn't tell whether the card got added to my hand after that action or after his turn). There was no message or anything. And I know it wasn't his character ability because he was playing Rasputin. If this is a problem due to lag, it would be really nice if that could be fixed. However, if it's by design that there are actions that can be taken that don't alert the other player (either by showing the card or by posting a message), then that absolutely needs to be fixed.

Also, half the time I try to get in a game, it just sits there on the "looking for opponent" screen and nothing happens (even on high speed cable wifi). At this point, I'm too frustrated trying to play mp games with these issues to continue. If they get fixed, I'll give it another shot.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #497 Ayjona, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    Oh, good stuff, all of this! I've held off getting into Cabals in a big way, while waiting for these very features. Seems I'll be dustin' off those bloodthirsty celtic witches before too long... ;)

One last query: is async still planned? It is sorely needed. I recently took a long look at online multiplayer iPhone card games, and this is what I found:

There is currently no iOS card title that offer a combination of asynchronous play and the sense of progression and context that comes from constructed, constantly evolving and improving decks.

There are some very, very good asynchronous deck building (on-the-fly deck building from a common pool, as opposed to players using their own constructed decks) games for iOS, namely Ascension and Nightfall. These offer the amenities, convenience and accessibility of async (plus the balanced matches and level playfield tactics of a game where all players start with the same resources), but without the sense of progression and greater context, and extended, long-term deck construction tactics, of constantly working to purchase new cards for and to optimize our decks.

There are some really, really good realtime trading/collectible card games for iOS, most notably Assassin's Creed: Recollection and Urban Rivals. These offer the frantic pace of timed games, and most importantly, the sense of progression, greater sense of context, longevity and "character development" mechanics of an evolving and personalized deck, of using match winnings to purchase new cards and optimizing our personal strategies. In many ways, this leads to a greater sense of in-depth strategy (at the cost of the level playfield).

(Both these genres of card games offer unique advantages over each other, and it is, of course, impossible to combine some aspects, such timed games and async, or level playfield and long-term deck building.)

But whenever I play Assassin's Creed: Recollection, I start wishing for an async card game for greater accessibility (I rarely have time to squeeze in an realtime online match), and whenever I get into Nightfall, I start longing for the context and progress of a deck that I can improve and alter in between matches.

With async, Cabals would combine those two interests, two rather common desires among iOS card gamers, in my experience.

Implementing async in Cabals would also resolve one of the largest shortcomings of other, non-card game turn-based async titles for iOS, that of above-mentioned lack of progression and greater context. (I've been participating in async games of Carcassonne and Starbase Orion for a long time now, and while every match is very fun in its self-contained glory, in the long run, they become just an endless series of random games, with absolutely no sense of evolution.)

Or I could just have saved myself and you this wall of text by rephrasing my plea: lure the async community into Cabals, and you'll earn more dough ;)

18. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    New update!

New cards:

• Changeling Trick Action | 4GGG | Target unit is healed, loses its abilities and has the power of 1.
    • Faberge Egg Action | 5BBB | Deploy an exhausted unit for free in a non-stronghold tile adjacent to any friendly unit.
    • Escalating Inflation Action | 4RR | Empty both resource pools. Play one card for free.
    • Disciple of the Third Eye Unit | 3Y | When attacking: return the defending unit to its owner's hand.
    List of changes:

• Obsessed Monk no longer targetable by Psychic Lapse
    • All active effect indicators clickable
    • Can't select multiple decks in Deck Selection
    • Card ability descriptions have more consistent capitalization
    • Clone ability cost increased to two.
    • Mimic ability: "Once per game: Pay 2 resources: Mimic gains the abilities of the target enemy unit."

[​IMG]
    iTunes AppStore
    Android Market
    www.cabalsgame.com

19. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Double influence weekend

Clear you calendar because it's CABALS WEEKEND!
    Double your chances to build the dream deck:
    If you've been considering about reloading or starting Cabals, Now is the right time!

DOUBLE influence for each purchase
    DOUBLE influence for New players
    For the next 48 hours!

Challenge your friends and family.

[​IMG]

PLAY NOW!

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    What's the best starter deck for a beginner?

Also, re: the requests for asynchronous multiplayer--is this something that is going to happen at some point?