Universal Mr. Mustachio 2 - Grid based brain teaser (Sequel!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by shobhit.samaria, May 1, 2017.

1. shobhit.samaria

shobhit.samaria Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    #1 shobhit.samaria, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    EDIT : Releasing on 7th June 2017!

Last year I released my game 'Mr. Mustachio' on iOS. I posted about it on this forum and got great support and encouragement. It was also on the Indian App Store Educational Games list for a while.

This year I have been working on much bigger and much better sequel to it. The concept remains the same - Given a rule and and some values, the player has to match a row/column of the grid to it. (It's actually not that easy!). While the original game was only 'numbers' based, the new version is far more expansive and has several worlds to complete.

I have added a lot more stuff to the game such as Boosters to upgrade every aspect of your game, Funny News Flashes, Proficiency Tracker, Scoring performance tracker, comprehensive statistics etc. and would share those updates soon as well.

And like before, the further you go, the longer Mr. Mustachio’s moustache grows!

Hopefully the game should see its release in a few weeks!

The original Mr. Mustachio Development thread on Touch Arcade - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=291574
    The original Mr. Mustachio Release thread on Touch Arcade - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=295966

(In case anyone wants to try out the original game, here's the AppStore link - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mr.-mustachio/id1143957161)

Presenting some screenshots from 'Mr. Mustachio - 2'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Looking forward to some good feedback! Thanks!

2. shobhit.samaria

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Dev Update

In the first version of the game, I had put in four difficulty levels -Kid Easy, Easy, Normal and Hard. This served the purpose well as players could choose the level they were comfortable with and play as long as possible. Also there was a provision for earning diamonds (in-game currency) for solving the grids. There was a small problem here as there wasn't much to do with the diamonds except for trading them for more Aids.

In Mr. Mustachio 2, I have decided to do away with the different difficulty levels. I have taken a leaf out of the endless runners, and instead of the difficulty levels, there are now 'Upgrades' available to boost the many facets of the game! This gives the players more options to use their diamonds that they have earned and the boosts allow them to go farther in the game!

Attaching a gif showing the 'Booster Upgrade' screen:

[​IMG]

3. shobhit.samaria

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Dev Update

Apart from introducing a whole lot of features and changing and shaking things up a bit from the first version, there are some UI changes being done as well. Some subtle changes to make the screens look better and in some cases redesigning or re-colouring of the screens to provide a better experience.

Some examples:

Small change in the game start up scene:
    Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Added a bit of colour and flair to some screens:

Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Redesigned the Store screen for trading Aids for in-game currency:
    Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quite a bit of changes to the actual grid UI as well. Will provide an update on that as well soon.

4. shobhit.samaria

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Dev Update

Some minor changes to have been made to the Grid UI as well to make it cleaner and a bit better looking.

Starting with the change in the rounded rectangles which housed the operators, which are now replaced by simple and cleaner demarkation lines giving a bit more space to the content in the the grid as well. The triangle buttons are also a bit better looking now.
    Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The row/column marking which were simple rectangles are also a bit modified now.
    Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The correct and wrong markers have also been changed from the huge grid surrounding blocks to a bit more subtle bordered rectangles with better appear animation.
    Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Before & After:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Working on quite a few such minor changes to make it a better experience!

5. shobhit.samaria

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Dev Update

Good news! The iOS version has a release date - 7th June 2017

Also working on the Android version. Hopefully that should also be ready for release soon!

Mr. Mustachio 2 also has a web presence and a downloadable presskit: http://shobhitsamaria.com/games/mr-mustachio-2/

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best!

6. shobhit.samaria

Jan 28, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Release on 7th June!

Well Monument Valley 2 has just dropped on the App Store! Not sure whether I am more excited about that or about my own game releasing this week. The whole world would be playing MV2 this week but just hoping for some good things for my little game as well.

Releasing on 7th June on the App store!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]