The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jdragoon19, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

massive criticism that gave it 88/100. That says something I think.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Ya. This says that this game must be the bloody best ever. Infintepic.

One more hour and the Steam download is finished.

4. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
  5. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Damn I want this. looks insane, but just got MW3 as a gift, and it will probably be until next year when I can find the time for Skyrim. Anyways, I gotta wait for it to go down in price, can't spend too much on games ;)

6. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Looks OK, but I don't see any make or break quality differences over the console versions.

Seems like they worked on the 2 points that made me stop playing Oblivion (empty world and lifeless NPCs) but still not perfect. I will give it a try soon.

7. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    This game is a huge improvement over oblivion (and i loved oblivion), menus are slicker and the world has more life. What does everyone else think?

8. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Is this worth trading RAGE for? I don't really know how to play this type of game (ie magic, looting, blocking etc). How many hours of gameplay does it have?

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well Royal Mail screwed up and didn't deliver my preorded copy of Skyrim (they probably lost it). Not to worry though, I bought it at my nearest GAME instead.

I have played it for most of the evening and HOLY SHIT! What an improvement over Oblivion. It's better in almost every way possible. So far I have only explored Riverwood and the surrounding forest, just a small part of the map and it already feels awesome. The graphics, the attention to detail, the music, the gameplay it all feels pretty much perfect to me. I'm extremely impressed so far and this is easily the best game I've played this year.

[​IMG]

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Played over 20 hours now, and found 20 locations of about... what, 500+ or something according to the guide? I've done 5 quests of 300+, cleared 3 dungeons of 150+... this game is never going to end. I'm rapidly approaching my playtimes for Arkham City and Battlefield 3 and it feels like I've seen practically nothing. I freakin' love it.

11. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Just got this about an hour ago. Didn't play much because I have to go to sleep. From what I played its simply amazing. Graphics are stellar on xbox. According to ign the best graphics go from PC->Xbox->PS3. That actually surprised me because PS3 usually beats out Xbox but I guess Bethedesa did a worse job with the PS3 version. I played oblivion somewhat and everything that I didn't like has been reworked this time around. Loading times are alright if you can wait 20 seconds. Overall great game so far!

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I'm also playing it on PS3, and I agree, it looks great. From the comparison videos I've seen, the game looks pretty much identical on all three platforms. Most of the difference seems to be in the colour which can be adjusted on the TV/monitor settings. Although I was surprised to hear about the texture bug with the 360 version, it's the lead platform after all. If the game is installed on a 360 then the textures look quite bad.

Performance wise, the game runs well on my PS3. The frame rate seems to be about 30fps for most of the time, it only rarely stutters when there are lots of enemies on the screen. And best of all, I haven't had a single freeze/crash from over 8 hours of playing it. Fallout 3 was unplayable for me because of the freezes and bad frame rate. It would permanently freeze at least once every hour, sometimes more. So because of my bad experience with FO3 I was worried about Skyrim, but luckily it runs fine.

13. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Can someone like... Sorta tell me how to play it? I'm getting it on Wednesday and I have never played an RPG game before.

Are there villages, if so how many?

Can you block using a sword?

Is it easy to slay a dragon?

How does magic work?

Sorry for all the questions. :eek:

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I counted 9 cities and 7 villages on the map.

Yes you can block using a two handed weapon or one handed weapon, or you can equip a shield (for extra protection) in your left hand if your using a one handed weapon.

Depends on the dragon and the difficulty level you choose. I chose the medium difficulty and killing the first dragon wasn't too hard. You can always change the difficulty if you find it too easy or hard.

So far I haven't used any magic, and I don't plan to. But from what I understand you can equip magic spells in either hand, they can be different or the same and if they are the same then you can combine them to make an even stronger spell. But you only have so much magicka, which gradually recharges over time. I think the magicka can be increased and made to recharge quicker when you level up.

15. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    The only big thing I've noticed is that water looks slightly better on Xbox and PC. I'm also sorry to hear about your problems with fallout its such a great game! I know tons of die hard fallout 3 fans that play on PS3 so I wonder if its just your disk.

The games stuttered on me for a few seconds but I guess its just some behind the signs world generation.

16. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

magic works like "ordinary" weapons.. you can equip a spell to the right or left hand and if you activate it it consumes your mana, similar to weapons use up stamina..

everything (health , mana, stamina) auto fills up over time or with potions/spells

its actually pretty straight forwards.. the same goes for leveling up skills.. it works the same across everything

every time you level up you can increase one of the three values and get one point to spend in an extensive skill tree visually looking like star constellations..

skyrim is actually a good example why there is still a huge gap between full experience games on classic platforms and iOS..

17. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Could someone please explain to me what the deal is with side quests? Whenever I select one in the quests menu, there doesn't appear a location marker on the mini map to direct me where I should be heading! Oh, I'm playing it on PS3 by the way and aside from this little gripe, really loving it.

18. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Thanks for the help. :)

19. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
  20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I'm assuming your talking about side quests in the miscellaneous section. To make a particular side quest active you have to highlight "miscellaneous", press X to to switch to it to active (an arrow will appear next to it) then press RIGHT on the d-pad and then use the up and down arrows to highlight a particular quest, then press X again to make it active. If you did it correctly then the diamond next of the quest should turn into an arrow and it should show on your compass. It's pretty simple once you get used to it.