Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Nope the first thing I noticed was no proper cockpit view then how empty the roads are, then had a police chase which lasted about 20 seconds and was no challenge or fun.

As well as that I don't like the handling or having to use the trigger buttons these are all my first impressions on the game, I'll try to give it a proper play in the next few days though.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #3382 squarezero, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    Just running through town it dips below 20 FPS, and it never goes over 30 FPS. I think "slideshow" is an exaggeration, but it's nowhere near as fluid as the console or PC version.

I don't think it's a terrible game (unlike Uncharted and Resistance, which are dreadful), but it is kind of a mediocre mess -- which is reflected in the professional reviews.

BTW Sony called the Vita "a marathon, not a sprint." Unfortunately I think it's a race against time, with mobile devices catching up (and even surpassing) the Vita much faster than Sony could have anticipated.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPad 4 are theoretically on par or more powerful than the vita. The iPhone 5 and iPad 3 have roughly equally powerful GPUs (the iPad coming out ahead) and the iPad 3's is the same as the Vita's. that's not even counting the iPad 4 with 2x GPU upgrade...

Of course all this has to be tempered with the higher resolution, but still, mobile devices have surpassed the vita surprisingly quickly. I wonder how powerful the Vita actually is compared with the PS3, I heard last year it was almost equal, but obviously that's not the case with AC: L and NFS. It's a bummer really that AC turned out to be a flop, as it looked so good from the trailers.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think it's about equal when you take the screen size into account the vitas biggest problem in my opinion is developers doing the bare minimum and just not putting in the effort to push it in anyway. Sad thing is most people seem to think this is acceptable and the Vita will never get going until it stops, I'm really not joking when I say PSP games were better (not graphicly but in content and effort).

That said I think the worst vita games are still miles ahead of any phone games, when I see a phone game as good as something like wipeout I'll reconsider.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I've had way more fun with games like Wimp than I've has with pretty much anything made for the Vita. Regardless. I bought the device to play $40-50 console-quality games and I have yet to. The fact that a Sony-funded full-price game has more content and better production values than a 2.99 indie title is unsurprising. But I actually have fun playing something like, say Bug Princess, while Uncharted and Resistance pissed me off and Gravity Rush just bored me. (To be fair, Wipeout could very well be a cool game, but I just couldn't get in to it -- races for me hinged much more on luck than skill). I can list dozens of iOS games that have blown me away; the only Vita one that reaches that height for me is Rayman: Origin, and that's a direct PS3 port.

Production values matter only if the game is actually good. Modern Combat 3 is a much better shooter than Resistance (and it even looks better); a piece of lint is better than Uncharted Vita, which I consider to be one of the worst professionally made games of this generation.

6. ^ Just out of curiosity, what PSP games did you enjoy and consider console-quality? It doesn't sound like the Vita is for you...

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I enjoyed many PSP titles, among them God of War (especially the first one) to Daxter, Trails in the Sky. It helped that I picked up many of those games heavily discounted, as that I expected them to be, well, PSP games. But since then two things happened: 1) iOS and mobile gaming in general; and 2) the Vita was marketed as a platform for console-level games ("nearly as powerful as a PS3" the hype went). Unfortunately, so far the device has not lived up to that promise (not even close). The games have either been super-casual titles dressed up like hardcore games (Uncharted), sloppy and poorly made (Resistance), or based on simple and uninteresting mechanics (Gravity Rush's combat). But I'm holding our hope for games like Sly Fox that are being developed for the PS3 and the Vita jointly. I like all kinds of games, and a handheld system fits my life much better than a home console. I want great games on the Vita, not overpriced watered down experiences. Being a fanboy doesn't help to improve the quality of games ;).

8. I don't know, I've felt like I've gotten my $40 worth with games like NFS Most Wanted and Disgaea 3. The graphics of a lot of current Vita games aren't that great, but the fun factor and content of the games I've bought are enough to justify the price for me. Honestly, I feel like iPhone gaming lost a bit of its magic ever since I got my Vita, but that's just me.

9. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    Obviously you haven't played LittleBigPlanet or the new NFS, both very high quality and both have blown me away.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I got my money's worth with Rayman: Origin. The jury is still out on AC.

Wish I like Disgaea -- the gameplay is right up my alley, but I can't stand the jokey tone.

11. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #3391 tygamr, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    The iPad 4 has a better GPU in terms of power (it uses a SGX554MP4, though the resolution means it has to compensate with a more powerful GPU to get similar performance to say, the iPhone 5), but the other devices use a different model of the SGX543- the Vita has the + model with four cores, while the iPad 3 has the non+ three core version and so does the iPhone 5. iPad mini/2 and similar devices (iPhone 4S, iPod touch 5) use the non+ two core version.

I think part of the problem with Vita games graphics is that a lot of the big budget Vita games aren't using graphical engines developed for the Vita- a lot of devs just port over their PS3/360 engines over and make games with that. Another issue is that Sony is limiting the Vita's power- it's under clocked (like the PSP was for the first few years of it's life) likely in order to make the battery life longer, and to prevent overheating. They will probably allow developers to utilize more power in the next few years, and release new Vita models that will probably resolve battery life and heat issues- that's what they did with the PSP (though it meant that the PSP-1000 didn't perform as well, especially because Sony also doubled the RAM in the models that followed it, which also limited new features to the new PSPs only).

Games like PlayStation All-Stars look really nice on the Vita- it has good graphical effects, runs native resolution, and runs at a smooth 60 frames. The engine it runs on was actually developed by the developers handling the Vita version of the game. If more games were built on engines built for the Vita, games would probably look and perform a lot better.

As for NFS:MW looking better on iOS/ Android, I don't think it's as straight as that. If the Vita version of MW ran native resolution (but was graphically the same otherwise), I think a lot of people would think the opposite. MW on smart phones looks pretty good, but it doesn't have as many graphical effects- there's no real time shadowing or lighting as far as I can tell, cars have reflections but don't actually reflect scenery, there doesn't look to be any grime or filth, etc. in addition to not being openworld and having even less traffic than the Vita version. The car models on the Vita version look really good, and are the same models used in the home console versions. Running sub-native resolution really mars up the graphical fidelity of many Vita games. If a game is going to run sub-native, it should do it how LittleBigPlanet does- LBP has really good filtering which makes it hard to tell, while still looking really good.

12. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I know what you mean. Phone games even high quality ones just don't and I think ever will have the depth you get from a higher priced game. I just can't get into phone games anymore. I'm almost wasting money now because I'll buy a game play it for maybe 3 days max then dump it. Nothing on iOS provides a similar experience to anything I've played on the vita..

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Not that I want to get into this discussion, but have you played Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling together?

Not a Vita game, but it's playable on the Vita and it's awesome.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes, that's a good point. Ported games always take up more system resources than ones developed specifically for the platform.

What device you playing on? On my 4th gen iPad everything you mentioned is there, plus some really nice motion blur.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    They're there on my 4S as well.

16. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Nexus 7 (I don't have any iOS devices right now :(. Getting an iPhone 5 hopefully in a few weeks). Haven't played a ton of it yet- only did one race. I don't own the Vita version- but I have watched several high quality (albeit off-screen) videos of it, and seen several screenshots.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Hate the platforming on LBP -- way too floaty -- though I know it's a well made game.

I may pick to NFS later on. Frankly, the "open world" bit doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me, and I'm really enjoying the iOS version. I wish there was a demo on PSN -- I'm always iffy about driving controls on handhelds (Burnout was fine on the PSP, but I didn't like the handling on Wipeout.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Love Tactics Ogre, but I could have played it on my old PSP ;). As it happens, I've been using my Vita to play PSP and PS One games. Can't justify the expense of a Vita that way.

19. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    The handling and controls in Most Wanted are the same as the console versions. WipEout's handling is and always has been a part of WipEout- 2048 actually handles better than most of the other games in the series. The PSP games were great, but could be brutal. WipEout revolves around corner mastery and use of the airbrake- plus, they are anti-gravity hovercraft, so they are going to handle differently than cars.

20. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Really regretting getting Ragnarok Odyssey. At first it was a fantastic game, but after 2 hours, it's just the same attacks and same type quests over and over. It's basically like that the whole game from what I've heard. I'll be swapping it out for Liberation or Virtue's Last Reward tomorrow.