Wrong art style for you?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by HalfLucifer, Nov 4, 2013.

1. HalfLucifer

HalfLucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Taiwan
    Hello developers, I’m Jheng from Monkey Potion, a tiny game studio based in Taiwan.

We recently released our first game Jade Ninja on iOS and it had been featured on 10+ Asian App Stores last month. As a result, we managed to get decent downloads from Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Taiwan, but US/UK contributed very few.

Regardless we tried hard to reach U.S. players and media but our efforts seemed to go in vain. We posted the game impression on TA forum thread and keep updating it but the response is so cold too. The ratings and comments on App Store are quite positive, though the game still can’t get attention from western players.

I’m wondering if the art style for Jade Ninja is so wrong for Westerners? Aside from a developer, do you consider the graphics is too ‘cute’ for you? What's your first impression in the screenshots? What would make you think that “this is not my type”?

We're depressed and lost. Any feedback is welcome, I wish to hear your critics. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I must admit i've never liked this type of art style. I've seen a few games with 'similar' graphics. Cant quite put my finger on it, might be the 'big heads' of the other graphics i'm not sure

I've been brought up on Nintendo style graphics, not saying theyre 'cute' but you know what i mean.

But perhaps its a bit like 'anime' for me, eg big heads with big eyes etc, unsure what it is. For me personally i dont like swipe games so despite not being keen on the graphics because of the swipe control i wouldnt buy it anyway. (Sorry!)

3. HalfLucifer

Feb 7, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Taiwan
    Hey, no worry. Your opinion is valuable. Thank you for being honest to us! :)

4. Aso

Have you addressed App Store Optimization? (ASO) and especially in this field keywords and their relationship with multiculturalism?
    A good site (i'm not affiliated with them) is Appcode, they help optimize keywords for maximum exposure. A common mistake in ASO is linking common words with 1000 other companies, making it a free for all. Intelligent keyword marketing helps you move ahead of the pack & stand out in the crowd. If only by a nose.

5. HalfLucifer

Feb 7, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Taiwan
    Do you mean localize the iTunes search keywords in as many languages as possible to improve its chance to be found?

If we localized the app name and description too, will it be useful?

6. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    You should, probably start with some good market like Italy, Spain, Japan, Netherlands and France.

7. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I have no problem with the art style, but looking at the screenshots it looks very similar to loads of other games I've downloaded for free over the years - none of which stayed on my devices for long - so from what I can see so far I don't have a reason to try it.

This is no reflection on the game of course. I might be missing out on the best game ever.

8. HalfLucifer

Feb 7, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Taiwan
    Thanks for your advice. We already have Japanese and Chinese localizations in the game. We will try to localize at least the app name and the description in German, French and so on.

Right. It's our fault to make it look like a mediocre endless runner game. That's maybe a big no-no for TA users and editors. Miserable.

Thank you for your input. :)

9. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    First off congrats on the game, I personally like the look of it. I think the problem that your facing is that there is so many other games in your genre with a similar look and similar mechanics that it can be hard to stand out. What sort of marketing did you do for it?

10. Yeah. By improving your keywords in searches, especially being more broad in languages as you say, you should be more visible in searches.

You would also be surprised what changes to a name & description may do also.
    A quick example of the search engine -
    A search of your game shows that as Jade Ninja its a solo display(Good) but when ninja is put in search, well I stopped counting at 100 (Bad) See what these other games are using as keywords to help distinguish yourself from the pack maybe? example, searching for ninja assassins only 9 games come up. (better)

Your App description looks good, but maybe add some review comments also?

I hope this helps a bit.

11. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    Hi, I for one is not a big fan of the 'asian' style (so I never got into any of the pokemon games etc), but if you look at many of the big hit games, 'cute' art not very far from yours seems to be the best way to attrackt the masses.

I dont think the problem is the art, but (as mentioned), it looks so much like hundreds of other games. Do I need to try another game with 'simple controlls to swipe to attack the enemies ? ' no, I dont. So for me (and this is just me), I never even bother download free games, as I know they are filled with IAP crap, and I would not buy your game even for a dollar, just because it looks like a gametype I dont enjoy much (and have tried quite some variations of)

12. HalfLucifer

Feb 7, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Taiwan
    We will try to optimize and localize the search keywords. Although I don't know if it can be effective or not, at least, it's a good direction. Thank you.

I see your points. Much appreciated for your input. As for Jade Ninja, we didn't mean to appeal to mass markets, however, we might choose an inappropriate art style and gameplay for our target audience. For our next game title, we will work harder to stand out from the crowds.