Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-13-2014, 04:35 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I hope your game gets better sales on other platforms. How are your sales doing on the Apple end? I hope good. This is probably the best solo letter game on the entire appstore and it's.... FREE. And I wouldn't even call it freemium. I bought the bonus doubler but I don't even use it because I feel like you would buy everything too quickly. Anyhow, wanted to say thanks for the gigantic update (which surprised me).

Just a couple things on my mind. The icon is still a bit iffy to me (maybe the color - which I guess was used to make it pop on the app store) but anyhow, it looks like the edges are cut off a bit. On your new release you can make the app pngs a full square and the iOS device will cut the edges automatically once the app is installed (I'm actually a designer and have made dozens of app icons in the past). If you ever make a new icon, I'd recommend something with a Letter? Maybe blend it in with a creature or Grimm. Or an upclose face of Grimm. Those styles are really cool and aren't used too often.

The other comment is just an idea, but how about adding leveling up to your character as a new mechanic. This way instead of just leveling character's books, the more you play, the stronger your character gets. I saw in other games, leveling up means you can put attack points into certain letters. That's an idea, or you can just increase general attack or general HP. I think it'd be a great way to make people more invested in playing longer.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
I hope your game gets better sales on other platforms. How are your sales doing on the Apple end? I hope good. This is probably the best solo letter game on the entire appstore and it's.... FREE. And I wouldn't even call it freemium. I bought the bonus doubler but I don't even use it because I feel like you would buy everything too quickly. Anyhow, wanted to say thanks for the gigantic update (which surprised me).

Just a couple things on my mind. The icon is still a bit iffy to me (maybe the color - which I guess was used to make it pop on the app store) but anyhow, it looks like the edges are cut off a bit. On your new release you can make the app pngs a full square and the iOS device will cut the edges automatically once the app is installed (I'm actually a designer and have made dozens of app icons in the past). If you ever make a new icon, I'd recommend something with a Letter? Maybe blend it in with a creature or Grimm. Or an upclose face of Grimm. Those styles are really cool and aren't used too often.

The other comment is just an idea, but how about adding leveling up to your character as a new mechanic. This way instead of just leveling character's books, the more you play, the stronger your character gets. I saw in other games, leveling up means you can put attack points into certain letters. That's an idea, or you can just increase general attack or general HP. I think it'd be a great way to make people more invested in playing longer.
We're doing okay on Apple - better now since the most recent update with some ads and the reworking of how you get access to the premium content (merging it into the main store via more tabs). Still nothing great though, not even close to enough to keep one person going full-time, let alone two. Oh well, no one ever said this was going to be easy! Thank you for the compliments on the game, and you're very welcome for the update, we're really happy with how it turned out.

As for the icon's shape - we intentionally rounded the corners, because we use the same code-base and assets for Google Play and App Store, and PC too...and Google Play doesn't cut the corners off automatically. So this way we get nice rounded icon corners on all platforms, which is what we want. As for your recommendations about actual changes to the icon art itself - I've passed those along to our artist, I'm not much for art. Thank you for the suggestions though!

As for leveling up the player - that's a pretty major change this late in the game (no pun intended), and honestly I don't feel that we need it. We already have that functionality with the upgrades for max health and damage, they're just controlled by the player via purchasing rather than happening automatically. The idea about putting points into making certain letters stronger is interesting, but a bit of a balancing challenge for sure at this point. It's something we'll look into, or maybe could be good in a sequel someday?

Thanks again for all of the feedback! Cheers!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I see. Well as for the corners, they are round but what I was explaining is that they're not cut perfectly on the app store version. If you look, there's black lines on each corner showing that the corners were cut too early originally (because the size doesn't match the app store's). Anyhow, it's a minor issue since many people probably won't notice.

Best of luck.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
I see. Well as for the corners, they are round but what I was explaining is that they're not cut perfectly on the app store version. If you look, there's black lines on each corner showing that the corners were cut too early originally (because the size doesn't match the app store's). Anyhow, it's a minor issue since many people probably won't notice.

Best of luck.
Sorry, I misunderstood that when I originally read your post (bit tired since I've been working 14+ hour days for months now lol) - we'll definitely look into cutting the icon to the right size for the next release, thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Anyone interested in winning a free copy of Letter Quest for PC? The early-access version will be ready soon. Check here for details!