Crashlands - Butterscotch Shenanigans' next game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JCho133, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #1 JCho133, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

From their website:

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2014/01/the-last-game-i-make-before-i-die.html?m=1

Three development posts:

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2014/02/the-world-of-crashlands.html?m=1

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2014/02/crashlands-dev-session-2-crafting.html?m=1

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2014/04/the-creatures-of-crashlands.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who don't know, this is from the guys who made Towelfight 2 and Quadropus Rampage. So I'm pretty excited.

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Butterscotch Shenanigans name being on it means I'm buying a copy.
    I don't need more info to know that. I'll still be glad to see more though.

3. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I believe they're going to outline the creature management systems in a week or so

4. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Insta buy no matter what. These guys rock

5. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Kinda giving me a dont starve vibe. Regardless excellent debelopers, so will be watching this.

6. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Loving...

Loving this game!

7. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    HOOO HOOO HELLOOOO! I heard whispers on the internets. AND HERE WE FIND OURSELVES. FACE TO FACES YET AGAIN, TOUCHARCADE PEEPS.

You guys blasted Seth and I's hearts off with your kind words. So here's the latest devlog. It's all about creatures, taming, and how you can make your own menagerie. Check it, share it, and let us know what you think. We'll check back here in a few days, as we're deep in le development hole.

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2014/04/the-creatures-of-crashlands.html

WOOP,
    samuel

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome! You found your way to the thread! :D

Glad to see you guys here, and even happier to hear this won't be your last game Sam ;)

I'm updating the first post with the new link as well.

You guys rock! And I think a lot of other TAers would agree :p

P.S. Sorry for the late response, I ran out of data haha

9. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    About Beta!

Well I thought the closed beta was going to happen in April but now it's on May 9! Oh well! Was so darn excited!

10. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Damn straight this won't be my last game! Chemo finished 3 weeks ago and I AM FEELING SPRITELY AS EVER. You guys can't get rid of us that easily. Or difficultly. What I'm trying to say is we'll be around for A GOOD WHILE.

Closed beta will be happening when we wrap up the 2nd biome, which will be in about a month. We won't be testing on iOS devices until closer to the end of development but are aiming to have previews of the game out for iOS around the time of the android launch. We do android first because it's extremely easy to iterate on and, being two people, we don't really have a QA team. Android therefore becomes our QA and market test so we can deliver the game once on iOS and not have to make you guys suffer through bugs.

LIKE THAT ONE TIME TOWELFIGHT 2 WAS DISPLAYED IN PORTRAIT MODE ON IPHONE 5's. REMEMBER THAT ONE BECAUSE I WISH I DIDN'T.

Anywho, thanks for keeping up with us and the support. I'll check back here every so often to say hey.

BEST,
    samuel

ps We make a game every Monday, in 10 hours, and stream it on twitch if you want to watch us swear at each other. come say hello!

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha well I guess I'll see ya around the ol' internet then! I'll definitely check in on those livestreams, they seem like they'll be a good time

Also, any chance on a quadropus cameo in crashlands? Maybe as a pet? ;) (Although the glidopi look pretty close)

12. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Oh yes I been receiving mails about this one. Looking forward to it :)

13. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    It's unlikely that Tack will stumble into Crashlands, though we love placing all our games in the same universe, so there will be some hat tips to our other games along the way.

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Ahh, alright. Is it likely we'll be seeing another god then?

15. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    I can't say anything about that JUUUUST yet. We actually added Pete into QR in the last week of development...so narrative may take a similarly spontaneous role here :D

Also we're streaming today. You guys should come say hey! http://www.twitch.tv/bscotch

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hehe well fingers crossed haha

I stopped in there for a sec, did you see me? :p
    I'll try and stop in again later today when I have more time

17. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
  18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #18 JCho133, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Haha I was actually coming here today to post that because I didn't see it till yesterday. But it seems totally gnarly if you ask me, there's never anything wrong with giving me more reasons to pound some sawgrass! Also, strangely convenient that the Bureau of Science has the same abbreviation as Butterscotch Shenanigans, don'tcha think? ;)

Haha hopefully you'll add another god in 3 days again, I'd love to see Quetzalcoatl make an appearance now that Pete has, haha.

And yeah, I had a positively smashing time! Sorry I couldn't really check in this week, I was a bit pressed for time.

All this "BS" talk encouraged me to redownload TF2 and QR, and hot dog are they fantastic! I've downloaded them on my newest device so I'm starting from scratch, which kinda bums me out, but it's good because I get to "re-experience the madness."

What I've taken away from my return is that QR feels much more refined gameplay wise, but the sheer amount of variety and content in TF2 is incredible. The little touches like the long descriptions of every 'Jectile and and Ruin etc. to the words that pop up when you hit an enemy are just fantastic. It gives it loads of personality, which all your games already overflow with. I mustn't forget QR's random weapon names though, haha. And the dialogue in both is just spot on, it really expresses the drama and intensity of the situation, and makes me love and care for the characters, especially Bingo. Every time he bloops, it really hits me right in the love bone.

Edit: Wait a second, the Compendium post on the BS site was posted on the 10th, yet your post here was posted on the 4th. What is this blasphemy?!

19. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    It IS awfully convenient. I didn't even notice the abbreviation was the same... ;)

We learned a hell of a lot from Towelfight, and equally from Quadropus. We're aiming to bring the content-heavy arm from Towelfight (complete with all manner of absurd descriptions) to Crashlands as well as the refined gameplay and replayability from Quadropus. There are currently 116 recipes in the game and 200+ items to find, and we only just finished the first biome yesterday. So there should be roughly 2.5x that in total at the end of the day. We're hoping we don't break too many phones.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. We had another devblog day, this time about housing. You can check it out here. Hopefully it scratches some survivalist itches.

A giffy taste:

[​IMG]

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I LOVE FISH.

Is there a hunger system?