Looking for suggestions for contest guidelines for this forum.

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Eli, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Hey guys,

In light of some recent forum drama with a couple oddly high value contests from very low post count new developers going totally south, I figured it was good time to draw up some rules for contests that are posted here to follow. I don't remember the last time we've had developers not honor their contests, but, here we are.

Here's basically a bullet list of what kind of things I was thinking:

-Developers are solely responsible for the integrity of their own contests. If you're going to run a contest that involves scoring or doing something in game, you are responsible for making sure your game can't be otherwise hacked or manipulated in a way to game your contest.

-Abnormally high rewards need to be verified by a moderator or admin before the contest goes live. Open for suggestions on what this threshold should be. Maybe anything of a cash value over $20? I'm not sure anyone would be too incredibly bummed if someone never paid up on a $20 iTunes card, versus $1,000 cash or a new iPad or something. Maybe we even arrange some kind of escrow thing for that high of a value?

-Developers must honor their contest obligations, or face being banned/blacklisted from TA.

What other big things are we missing that are already in place? Basically, what happened that caused this is some new developers decided they'd offer up $1,000 cash for people to leave them iTunes reviews and then score highly in their game with the idea being the person with the highest score gets the cash. Unsurprisingly, when it was time to pay up, everyone who had satisfied the requirements of the contest on TA had apparently cheated according to the developers.

Who is telling the truth? Hard to say, but we didn't have anything in place that prevented developers from offering ridiculous prizes or actually paying up on them. So let's fix that. I'm up for drafting a whole list of rules that prize and contest threads here should have. If you guys are active in this forum, let me know what kind of problems you'd like solved or anything else we can start doing to make this all run a little more smooth!

Thanks, and sorry it took something terrible happening for us to do this, but, hopefully it won't happen again.

--Joy-- likes this.
  2. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    I like the new set of rules. It's been a long time since I encountered another fake contest. Mostly are below $100 and only asking for reviews on their game. I also think that high prized contest should be verified first by the developers specially the newly registered devs. I think it is good to skip the long time registered devs though.

3. DillweedLtd

DillweedLtd Member

Dec 28, 2013
    It's a bummer you didn't get the 500 iAnimex that was real crappy.

4. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    It is actually $1,000. Lol. No problem if they didn't give me that prize. Already used to it because I've been into a few fake contest before. :D

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    We've also had a TA member recently enter competitions with multiple accounts, which increased his chances of winning... and reduced the odds of other TA members winning. I believe he was banned.

6. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Glad you guys can track multiple accounts. Seen them on review contest.

7. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    There are a bunch of contests here on TA when devs don't pay out prizes. But mostly it's a small prizes like 15-25$ iTunes gift card, that's why nobody cares. And everytime when I see some contest where you can win 1,000$ I'm 99% sure that it's fake contest. I can post here if anyone wants several links as an example. So it's not first time when it happened

8. #8 markymarkanddafunkybunch, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    I'm still waiting on my manhattan bridge prize I won from last week

9. It doesn't matter what the prize value is, there will always be fake contests. I honestly don't see what the point is going through the trouble to host a contest and canceling. Contest entrants should be aware "when it is too good to be true." Worst case scenario is when I have to pay for an app and spend time to enter a fake contest. Example http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=213487 @armoko Did you end up winning anything? Time is money so wasting $0.99 and 1 hour is actually not as bad as wasting $0 and 2 hours.

Just as Twitter has verified accounts and eBay has feedback scores. TA can have verified developer accounts for those who has hosted paid contests before.

Good luck everyone and happy gaming!

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #10 klink, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Maybe cap the prize amount new developers can offer to $50 dollars or less. If the developer is established or has a history on TA they can offer bigger prizes. It seems like a lot of work to get involved in creating and managing escrow accounts. Or maybe all contest prizes could be capped at $100 dollars. I have fun entering small contest and supporting developers. I think big prizes sort of spoils the whole thing.

I hope a few bad apples don't spoil it for everyone.

11. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    I think that if they announce a contest on TA then they're obligated to announce the winner on this site as well as any other social media they promoted it on. Lots of times they announce the winner on Facebook but don't have the decency to return here to inform the members who entered

12. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
  13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #13 psj3809, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Whenever that happens please report it to the mods so we can contact the devs directly or possibly ban them depending on the reasons.

We normally delete tons of spam, shill accounts from the forums but cant track every single competition.

Even if you think a competition 'might' be suspicious its better to report it than not so we can look into it and check. Most of the time its probably nothing but its best to check if you arent sure so we can sort something out

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    They're might be something suspicious about the gentlemen promoting all his magazines.. Draw date for his contest was yesterday at 10pm.. I checked in here last night 20 times to see if a winner was announced.. Nothing.. If this is another one of these cases you guys have a serious problem..

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Give him a bit of time yet. I must admit it's 'amazing' that many people seem to love all 3 of his magazines, what are the chances of that eh ?! To me fake reviews (to enter competitions) are just as bad as any devs tricking people to get reviews.

16. iANiMeX

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Some contest here takes 1-2 weeks before they announce a winner. They were probably busy or something. Just give them some time.

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    What guy doesn't like half naked women and BBQ dude?? Those ain't fake reviews lol

18. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Just got my prize from one of those magazine contests just now with a 3 star review so have a little faith

19. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Congrats dude :)

20. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Thanks, these things are hit or miss but I'd rather miss and spoke my mind than sold out and still lost