Good iPad board games for beginners?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DarkLo, Apr 7, 2014.

1. DarkLo

DarkLo Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I've never really been into board games but after doing a lot of reading tonight, I'm interested in getting started playing board games on iOS. It seems to be a genre that really plays to the strengths of the platform.

With that said, most of the board games I've looked at look insanely complicated, especially for a board game newbie (I haven't played a board game since Monopoly back in my early teens). Any suggestions on good board games that are accessible for beginners (a tutorial with a single player/AI game option would be optimal) that can help me slowly work my way towards more complicated games eventually?

2. Monopoly on ios is very good, give it a shot first.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    My favorite is Ticket to Ride. It is very accessible. I am also a fan of Cafe Internationale, which is quite simple but well put together.

4. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Ticket To Ride and Lords of Waterdeep.

Honestly though, looks are deceiving. Most board games only "look" complicated and with your device doing all the heavily lifting (rules, dice, number tracking, etc...) they're all become incredibly easy to pick-up and play. At most these types of titles take the tutorial a few games to get the hang of; some are decently challenging but you're not supposed to win most games, coming in second or third will probably be common and that's just fine.

Just find a style or theme that appeals to you or look at YouTube videos of the actual board games being played.

5. AxBattler

AxBattler Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Programmer at 48h Studio
    Italy
    #5 AxBattler, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    I second the Ticket to Ride suggestion. Also Carcassonne, SmallWorld 2, Ascension (it's a card game), Samurai.