Fans of Freemium Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stormourner, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    anyone who is neutral (like me) to freemium games are welcome. freemium haters, please keep your distance. keep in mind that I'm not against non-freemium games. if anyone is against non-freemium games (like the ones in TA articles) then they shouldn't be here.

I wanna know if anyone here is a fan of freemium games wether is popular or unpopular? the reason I'm asking because some people aren't aware about them especially for the fan arts

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #2 Echoen, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    I'm a fan of the games, not the pay model. It just so happens a lot of freemium games have atrocious pay walls, premium-only items aka pay-to-win, long energy meters, TIMERS, absurd prices, in-your-face social features, scanty inflow of currency, shallow gameplay, or often require a constant internet connection.

But, there are some that are fair despite having some of those features. I leave myself open to try out free-to-download games because some are actually decent. Somehow, I've stuck to Spirit Stones. I love Pocket Avenger. Phoenix HD is a blast (bought all the ships). Asphalt 8 (which I paid for day 1) is an absolute gem.

To name some more,

Quadropus Rampage
    Nimble Quest
    Cardinal Quest 2
    Punch Quest
    Robot Unicorn Attack 2
    Deep Dungeons of Doom
    Tap & Blast
    Yukon Warrior

Free-to-download games with full game unlocks are technically freemium but they just don't feel like the same pay model as the ones above.

3. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I personally need at least 1 freemium timer based game in my device at all times as long as there are no paywalls and is playable offline.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Freemium is one thing, i've 'kinda' accepted them as devs need to make money and sadly people seem to buy lots of IAP's

But timers ? Why would anyone want timers ? Ridiculous

5. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    As I said, I kinda like having a timer based game on my device. It's just a good distraction.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why ?

Are we talking about the same thing. A timer based game is one where it basically dictates when you can play it, you play it for 30 mins then it says 'you've run out of energy, either buy some more or come back in 1 hour...' ? Is that really good ?

If i've got an app which basically tells me when i can/cant play i'll simply play something else and delete it. If i've invested in app, bought some IAP's and then this app dictates when i can/cant play then thats terrible. How is that good?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    To add to this great list of freemium titles...

Temple Run 2
    Run N Gun
    Robot Unicorn Attack 2
    Into The Dead
    Dead Ahead
    Zombie Tsunami
    Aurum Blade
    Stone Of Life
    Zen Pinball
    Atomic Fusion
    Block Block Block
    Asphalt 8
    Drakerider
    Heroes & Castles Free
    Saturday Morning RPG
    Super Monsters Ate My Condo
    Scurvy Scallywags

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Why is there basic F2P? Some of these games are just free. That's not true Freemuim. We're talking about EA and crap like Real money grabber Racing 3.

9. Stormourner

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    I also don't like timers and energies but I still play them. in the past I avoided online games after that I decided to try them. one of the game like Lost Raider have timers despite begin a paid game.

btw does Asphalt 8 have timers when it became free?

I have more than 1 ;P sometimes paywalls can bother me, I would punch the paywalls instead of pressing X button

let's just forget about EA's freemium games for a while

10. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    There is really two types of freemium games, the type where you pay a fee to unlock the full game, and the type where you use consumable IAP.
    I don't really believe anyone could hate the first option, it's basically just a "lite" it's great to be able to have a little taste test of the game before shelling out cash, so I think that is actually wonderful.
    Now moving onto the second freemium scheme..
    If it is done tastefully is completely okay with me.

A couple freemium games I believe are fair with their IAP model-

Tiny tower - you can earn bux without IAP
    Growtopia- you can earn gems and coins without IAP
    Dragonvale- as above.

There are many freemium games that allow paid currency to be harvested without spending cash, it's these games I believe are fair and tasteful. As long as earning said currency isn't absolutely tedious and slow.. All games I listed are quite generous with their currencies and in turn, that's why I spent cash on them and allowed myself to play them.
    If I play a freemie and the IAP scheme is atrocious I immediately delete the app. I don't want to get addicted to something that'll cost me a lot of money.
    And the principle of the matter.

It's sad that freemium games have such a stigma, they can actually be thoroughly enjoyable and you can get hundreds of hours of play time for absolutely nothing. I know some people have played hundreds of hours of growtopia without spending a cent, where else can you get that a org of entertainment?

The only thing better than paying 99c for a full game with no IAP, is paying NOTHING for a great game with no IAP. There's definitely a bunch of completely free games on the AppStore, without ads, Manyland is one of them, I've come across more but can't think right now.

It really messes up the saying "you get what you pay for" you can get great software for free/cheap, but anything physical, that quote is still quite accurate.

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I love timers, keeps me coming back to a game throughout the day. I like playing in chunks... So it's perfect for me. I can't play in one sitting, especially mobile.

12. Stormourner

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    I agree there's an alternative ways to get more stuff without paying the real money especially when TA makes freemium game guides. what's funny on the app store when the reviewers say (insert any freemium game with too much paywalls, timers and energies) is addictive...........sssssooooorrryyyyy!!!! I don't believe these kind of lies

when Bombcats released I finished every level before finishing the missions but it wasn't until they fooled me with the update, I didn't know about the update until I found they add the attempt feature I kinda disappoint about it, well at least they brought the special edition of Bombcats which I replaced the freemium version. when Where My Water? 2 had energy I didn't delete the game that's when the energy was removed on the update :D

Tunnel Tail is another example of totally free game but sadly the people are focusing too much on their hatred toward the freemium games :(

13. Stormourner

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    LOL!! it's funny for a person like you :D

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha very good !

I enjoy the Clear Vision games, completed the first two, was happy the third came out but nervous as it was free. Been playing through it, all good, failed at one mission a few times and 'surprise surprise' i now cant take the mission again as i've ran out of 'whatever', so i have to 'surprise' buy some of it now if i want to continue. Just wish i could buy the game outright like the other two

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I enjoy video games.

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woah same

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #17 awp69, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    I enjoy video games too and don't rule out freemium games just because they're freemium.

And while I agree with some of what was said in the front page article on freemium, I still find the comparison of paying to play games in arcades to freemium IAPs to be flawed. If all iOS games were one off arcade style games, that would be a fair comparison. But when lengthy adventure, RPG, racing and other games are fiddled with too much with IAPs, to me that takes the enjoyment out of video games. Big experiences that came with PC and console games just aren't the same as playing a five minute arcade game.

So hardcore gamers got used to paying a set price and playing through games that could take hours, days or even weeks to complete.

Now, timers and consumables where you have no idea when the spending on your purchase will end, that is just not enjoyable. At all.

Full game unlocks, reasonably priced IAPs for shortcuts or extra characters and even bigger IAPs for expansions are perfectly acceptable.

But any game that has IAPs that directly impact the way you play the game (most notably timers and consumables) are like a huge vacuum that sucks enjoyment out of video games.

So with all that said, I keep an open mind on freemium games until I know what it really involves.

I could mention at least a dozen freemium games I have enjoyed and often bought IAPs to support the dev if there was no other need for them. Most of those are listed above in posts by Exact-Psience and others so I won't reiterate them. And I'm sure there are others that I could list as well.

I'm not a freemium hater. Just a hater of freemium games that push possibly endless IAPs just to be able to enjoy the game.

So I will seek out premium games and freemium games that still allow me to do that one simple thing -- enjoy playing a video game without worrying about when the next wall will hit.

18. No. Way. Me too dude! Lets be best friends!

19. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I find them quite trying.

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #20 JCho133, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Foursaken is a studio I commend for knowing how to do F2P without it effecting gameplay at all. Bug Heroes is an early example (but it came about before freemium became such a huge controversy. Heroes & Castles free is a better example as it is contemporary. No paywalls, no sneaky mechanics, no timers. I'm looking forward to them nailing F2P again with BH2.

Nimblebit too