Devs requesting: "5 star reviews please!"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Oct 13, 2011.

?

What are your opinions on devs 'gaming' the rating system? Yay or nay?

1. Yay! More updates = better!

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Nay! Just seems a bit dirty and low.

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Don't care. I buy games based off TA forums/reviews.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Notice this happening a lot for Gamevil games, where you do tend to get benefits for reviewing their game 5 stars (not too entirely sure if they can check). It does seem all their games this year are 4.5 star or 5 star on itunes.

What are your opinions on devs 'gaming' the rating system? Yay or nay?

This is also happens a lot for those 'mafia war' type games. But I rarely see the statement basically saying "5 star reviews = more updates and stuff!"

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Lol not just Gamevil do it. Just take a look at Promo codes and contests, everyone does it. And I don't like it. If I enter I usually don't give 5 stars... Maybe 3 or 4.

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It's pretty shady, but it works because many people think the game actually has a way to check if you wrote the review. If I want whatever the freebie is, I just hit "yes" and then exit the App Store to return to playing. I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of those games just award the stuff right when you hit accept.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    i'm okay if they ask for just reviews. but asking for five star reviews is really annoying. i'd like to be able to decide if i like the game or not on my own... :\

5. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Asking for a five star rating seems kinda desperate to me. But asking for a rating and a review is ok, it could potentially help the dev should the user write an honest review with pros and cons.

6. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    The thing is that I'm pretty sure they can't actually check right away if you gave them a 5 or not.

So it's pretty much a scam if you think about it...

7. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    When the games simply ask for a rating (any) and/or a review, I don't mind; in fact, I actually go ahead and write a brief review. Can't remember details 'cause it's been so long since I tried it but Queen's Crown seemed to be pretty shady about that, not to mention there sure is TONS of positive reviews for the game when a lot of people seem to hate it.

8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    This is exactly what I do. I think the only people that get screwed by possibly false ratings are people who don't do their research prior to buying the game.

9. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I don't really have a problem with them asking for reviews/rates but I really dislike it when there is no "never show again" option for such pop ups.

10. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think it's a little dodge, but at the end of the day people wont leave a review/rating if they dont want to... Very few do either way.

And yeah, there should always be a dont bother me again type button. No point nagging people, that will probably get you a 1 star rating :p

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I say if they do that write them a one star review then get the reward anyway.
    If enough people do it they will get the hint.

12. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Probably. I don't let others' opinions color my own but I do like to read/watch reviews/gameplay vids/etc. to get the overall gist of something before I drop cash on it.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm smart enough to make up my own mind if what I'm paying for is going to be worth it.

If I ever do read reviews (whether they're from big name sites, users or whatever) it's to pick out the worst points.

I only tend to review the games I really like though, so every once in a while I'll look up everything on my phone and give that a review.

Back on topic though (what is the topic at this point, anyway? :p) I don't mind being asked for 5-star reviews, because I'll review the game fairly no matter what they say.

14. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Personally, I hate getting asked for any review/Facebook posting/Tweet from within a game, and the fact that the "5 star" part is clearly banking on the ignorance of players just lowers my opinion of the dev even more. It's bad enough that I have to see FB/Twitter logos on every website I visit (but that's fine, since I'm not paying to use any of those sites), but for games, I already supported the dev with my monetary purchase. I don't want to be asked to advertise more for them. Of course, it's become such a standard in iOS games, that to avoid all games with this stuff would basically be the same as quitting iOS gaming, so we're forced to just deal with it.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #15 psj3809, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    On this site there was a thread recently where the devs asked for 5 star reviews in exchange to possibly win itunes vouchers.

And yep there were quite a few 'lemmings' ready to give it 5 stars whatever it was like which was a shame.

I hate games which want me to log into facebook/twitter (nope), my friends (real ones not ones i said hello to once at school and now added them on facebook) would hate it if i was spamming tons of updates about some iOS game.

When it pops up saying 'please give us 5 stars...' etc you dont obviously have to do that, the code wont change in the game or that ! I always give an honest review of a game, whether it was free or $9.99

But its a shame theres too many 'sheep' you just give out 5 star reviews whatever

I mean just looking in the promo codes and contest section....

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=109573

Write a review and copy/paste it to them and 'possibly' win an ipad 2. Obviously any 2 star reviews wont win so you have to write a 5 star 'its so great this app....' lie. I mean check some of the replies in that thread where Mantisbrian says 'This app is really amazing and funny!i will buy the full version when i load my itunes account i really do believe that this app is worth every penny!!!'

I bet the guy deleted it seconds later.

Shame as it makes ratings/reviews on the app store useless when devs (and even worse users) write rubbish like that just to win something.

16. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Everyone is (including myself) whether they do that or not. I only do it because I like seeing different perspectives other than my own; not just games but darn near everything. And I think that's why a lot of people, if not a lot of gamers, actually like watching/reading reviews. It's interesting to see a piece of gameplay or a mechanic that you may have missed but someone else picked up on. Or to see someone's gripe about a level they hated even though you actually love it.