Tail Drift - An Arcade Flight Racing Game. Coming June 2014

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mr_Snuffle, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Mr_Snuffle, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Hey everyone - here to introduce the game we’ve been working on - Tail Drift. I’m part of a small new studio called Attract Mode Games, and we’re looking to bring a fully featured version of our game to iOS in June 2014. Tail Drift is a unique arcade flight racing game where you compete on tubular track, moving through floating islands, clouds and caves.

Tail Drift won Unity’s Flash in a Flash competition back in 2012, and we’re excited to take that idea and create a fun racing experience.

Some of the features we’re adding are:
    - Upgradeable racers
    - Heaps of tracks with unique environments
    - Multiple racing leagues to play through
    - Plenty of game modes, including classic racing, time trial and elimination
    - Daily challenges with rewards
    - Leaderboards to compete against your friends, and the world.

If anyone wants to check out the “Flash in a Flash” version, you can here play it right now - it requires the Unity web plugin. You can play the prototype demo here.

Here is some concept art

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We will be regularly posting updates here, but you’re welcome to also follow us on twitter at @attract_mode, like us on facebook at facebook.com/taildrift, or read our blog at blog.attractmodegames.com

Let us know what you think - we’re super keen to get your feedback on what we have so far.

What kind of things do you like to see in racing games? We want to make a game that the community loves, so let us know what you like.

UPDATES
    22 Jan 2014 - Dev Blog: Designing a Racing League
    28 Jan 2014 - Dev Diary: Episode 1
    29 Jan 2014 - This week Elliot talks about the environmental art in TailDrift
    30 Jan 2014 - Today Elliot discusses the aircraft design in Tail Drift.
    4 Feb 2014 - Dev Blog: Creating a Workshop for Upgrading Aircraft
    17 Feb 2014 - Dev Diary: Episode 2
    24 Feb 2014 - Dev Diary: Episode 3
    3 Mar 2014 - Dev Diary: Episode 4
    15 Jun 2014 - Android Beta Update!

2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Looks great! Will keep an eye on this for sure.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It makes me think of thatgamecompany

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#4 Bronxsta, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Related in any way? Or inspired by Proun?

Not saying you're copying or anything, just curious. Proun was the first game that came to mind when I saw your game.

5. #5 Mr_Snuffle, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Proun does look great - I hadn't actually seen that track before. Looks like a user created level from back in 2011.

We're massive fans of Proun at Attract Mode. Tail Drift is going for more of an arcade experience with multiple racing leagues, different racing modes, vehicle upgrades and stuff like that. It's more Mario Kart meets F-Zero on a tube than the hardcore reflex based gameplay of Proun.

If you like Proun, then you should like Tail Drift too :)

Check out the demo and let us know what you think: http://bit.ly/1aCLZv6

6. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Those floating isles are looking good indeed ;)
    Would love to see a gameplay video :)

7. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Wait until that time.

8. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Looks great! But... June? Aww. : (

- Online multiplayer
    - Ghost racing
    - iCloud syncing

9. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    Like Mike said, them islands look swee...uh, wait (checks words not related to candy and saga) really great :)
    Hope you will include weather to affect the racers, or flying whales, huge rabbits, stuff like that :p

10. We're still nailing down the final art direction, but at the moment we do have a giant sky-volcano :) We have an art update coming soon!

The idea of a flying sky-whale does sound awesome...

11. Our artist - Elliot - just posted an article talking about the environmental art in Tail Drift.

You can check it out here.

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Is this game only planned for mobile or do you hope to bring Tail Drift to PC?

13. Right now we're just mobile. We've had some discussion about bringing Tail Drift to PC and console, but we wouldn't want to just take the mobile version and directly port it over. We'd want it to be a separate game, playing to the strengths of the platform.

So the short answer is not yet, but hopefully down the track :)

14. We have a few of our Chibi class racers textured now!

[​IMG]

What's your favourite colour?

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Blue!

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I love watching gameplay videos of this! The visuals are fantastic. They remind me of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and The Witness.

And on your question of multiplayer modes: yes, I think multiple modes is a must. I think a good place to look for inspiration would be the Asphalt games. A mode we here you could collect power ups/traps Mario Kart style would be awesome, although it might be a little difficult to implement now, I'm not sure. But if possible that would be awesome

I really like what you've done with a the grade screens, they're not cluttered etc. like most games, which fits the soothing feel of the game.

A few crazy planes would be a cool addition as well :D (maybe a paper airplane, a UFO, a boat, etc. to add some more personality).

Will this game be free to play or premium (or paymium)?

And will there be online multiplayer with multiple people?