Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM

I can't refund this cause I've stopped getting receipts. Anyone else got this problem?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Right then here's the good the bad and the ugly

-- THE GOOD --
You don't have to do the tutorials, but it seems to ask every time if you want to (you can say no).
The graphics are infinitely improved, much sharper and long draw distance with nice details. Still fairly empty but it's perfectly good.
The frame rate is not nauseatingly jerky. It still does have the odd stutter but it's pretty smooth overall (iPad Air though so YMMV).
Nicer interface, easier to change the points and see where you are meant to be stopping. Didn't try the map maker tool yet.
Free routes you can download (and upload your own) so can't vouch for the quality of these.

-- THE BAD --
Popup boxes telling you what to do, that pause the game until you tick, so driving along it will say something like stop at the station, and the train pauses. I guess these might only be shown once?
I went over the speed limit, it said emergency brakes will be applied, and I must continue when I regain control, but the controls never came back (bug I think)
Worst, is LOTS of in apps! I counted 25 at a dollar each. They are taking the piss a bit when every single mission is a separate purchase, I mean on a new map, each task is a separate purchase even free drive! There are some more fun sounding missions in the "featured" section but all paid!

-- THE UGLY --
We'll, yeah, the gouging for extra content on a premium priced game. I don't mind a few in apps but 69p for a single task is way too much, should be that price for a set of tasks on a new map really.

Here's an example, but there are about 15 pages some with 2 items some with 6 kind of thing

There is still plenty of included stuff but I feel it's too heavy on prices for the extras.

Anyway it's probably worth the initial download and buying any specific stuff you might want, but shame you cannot just mess around with it all out of the box.
Thanks for the rundown.

Why in heaven's name is there so much IAP??? I really don't understand the Trainz folks...are they just looking to bleed their customers dry? Come on, it's not THAT great a sim.

So now I'm not forced to complete the training missions, but I am forced to spend more money to do even a simple free drive!

Sorry, pass on this poor attempt to market a Trainz sim.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

I'm not sure if I'm being overly unfair or not but this game seems like a train wreck to me, pun intended.
Total rip off for the price and my last game from this dev team
Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Yeah, thanks for the imps and for TOFTT

Last edited by ojtitus; 05-29-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 04:05 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaZ-OiD View Post
I'm not sure if I'm being overly unfair or not but this game seems like a train wreck to me, pun intended.
Total rip off for the price and my last game from this dev team
Well, I think it's a bit out of perspective of you to be fair. It's that old problem of perception of value on the AppStore compared to other desktop/console platforms and the tons of super cheap (or free) games we see every week for iOS.

Look at it any other way and this wouldn't be purchasable for as cheap anywhere else. Development is hard, it takes time (I am a game designer so I know this all too well!), the product is niche, they probably need to price it quite high for the limited audience as it's not a mass market game (like hardcore war games are not mass market and have a higher price, which is generally accepted by fans).

As I said above, there should be more actual content for each extra dollar, that IS lame, but I don't think it's out of order to have *some* IAP for DLC in a game like this.

If you like this kind of game it is by far the best offering on iPad. And can you afford $30 if you wanted ALL of it? If you did want all of it I would assume you like the game, you don't have to buy it all at once, and there is hours of driving in the base game without extras.

Yeah it's not the best game in the world, and if you wanted to take train sims seriously you would probably be on a PC for it anyway. Look at the masses of add-ons available for the PC scene, you could spend thousands on new scenarios and trains. Yeah they would be bigger and better, but it's a PC!

Not saying I wasn't shocked to see IAP in the game (I was) but I can understand it.

EDIT: they should probably have put "extra content is available for purchase from within the app" in their description!

Last edited by Baracus; 05-29-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 04:12 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
Yeah, thanks for the imps and for TOFTT
No worries, I've no problem spending a mere 5.50 for a game I might be mildly interested in!
And yeah TOFTT'ing does happen from me sometimes lol
Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Well, I think it's a bit out of perspective of you to be fair. It's that old problem of perception of value on the AppStore compared to other desktop/console platforms and the tons of super cheap (or free) games we see every week for iOS.

Look at it any other way and this wouldn't be purchasable for as cheap anywhere else. Development is hard, it takes time (I am a game designer so I know this all too well!), the product is niche, they probably need to price it quite high for the limited audience as it's not a mass market game (like hardcore war games are not mass market and have a higher price, which is generally accepted by fans).

As I said above, there should be more actual content for each extra dollar, that IS lame, but I don't think it's out of order to have *some* IAP for DLC in a game like this.

If you like this kind of game it is by far the best offering on iPad. And can you afford $30 if you wanted ALL of it? If you did want all of it I would assume you like the game, you don't have to buy it all at once, and there is hours of driving in the base game without extras.

Yeah it's not the best game in the world, and if you wanted to take train sims seriously you would probably be on a PC for it anyway. Look at the masses of add-ons available for the PC scene, you could spend thousands on new scenarios and trains. Yeah they would be bigger and better, but it's a PC!

Not saying I wasn't shocked to see IAP in the game (I was) but I can understand it.

EDIT: they should probably have put "extra content is available for purchase from within the app" in their description!
5.50 is not the end of the world but performance/graphics is poor even on an iPad Air, I can't download any free stuff because when I created an account it said I was banned!! and I can't see any real difference to the original 2012 game.
I feel the quality and IAPS to play properly are a rip off and could not advise anyone to get this.

It may be the best ios has to offer but in this case that means very little with big disappointment to many who get this imo

GaZ
Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
For example, Train Simulator 2014 on PC: the base game costs US$39.99 and offers 169 items of DLC that reach a grand total of US$3771.31 (and that's with two items currently on sale).

As for the rest, train simulators are such a niche title on PC that the userbase would be tiny on mobile devices, mandating the higher base price to begin with, and there's still every chance the developers won't even make back what they spent on iOS development from that entry fee alone.

Train sim developers also know from extensive experience that people who buy the base software have a habit of grabbing DLC items as well, so it wouldn't make sense for them to leave that option out on this end, especially when they're only asking a dollar each instead of the $10-$40 each individual piece of DLC goes for in the PC incarnations.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM

For me the problem isn't the price it's the graphics. The pics show lovely shiny metal trains and all you get are dull boxes and they still haven't added any iconic steam trains like the Mallard or the Flying Scotsman. The BigBoy is nice tho.