Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jacob007, Jun 26, 2012.

1. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I want one but not convinced just yet. I'm putting my money towards an iPad (mini hopefully) first then if the Wii U is successful I will get it

2. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012

Don't forget Assassin's Creed 3!

3. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Wii U Discussion Thread

Well, the Wii U will be out in less than a month. Much to my surprise, Game Stop had a demo unit setup so I got to try it. All I can say is that if all of the demo units are setup with the same software, most people will probably walk away disappointed.

The first issue was that I could only find 1 actual demo to play for Rayman. The game looked fantastic on the large screen, but I really wanted to see it play on the controller screen itself as well. I thought there was a way to force games to play on the controller, but I couldn't remember if it was a button command or something else.

The rest of the titles had "video". I say that loosely since the ones I tried were just a slideshow of images from the games, not actual gameplay video.

The controller itself feels pretty decent. It was lightweight and felt comfortable enough to hold, but the controller felt a little cheap. Not sure how to describe it.

The analog sticks felt fine and the triggers up front never felt like they would be an issue to reach. The size of the triggers surprised me as they are fairly large compared to other controllers.

The screen itself had a decent resolution, but viewing angles were pretty tight. For the most part, you would probably be looking straight on, but it didn't seem as ample as other handhelds or screens I've seen. It didn't help that the screen was smudged so this probably wouldn't be an issue at home as much.

I'm walking away as somewhat intrigued. I'm curious about what it will be like a few months in and whether titles will continuously release for the system. This will not be a day 1 purchase for me until it proves that it will retain a large library and justification for the high price point (compared to other older consoles). I'm highly intrigued to see if ALL games can be played on the controller screen as that's a big reason for why I play handhelds. I'm the demographic that loves games, but doesn't have the luxury of playing on the TV as much. I was hoping the Vita paired with Remote play would fit that niche, but it's been lacking.

So TA, what's your opinion? Anyone getting one from Day 1?

Also, seems like Triforce is already in line for a Wii U... :eek:

http://kotaku.com/5953848/at-least-one-person-is-already-waiting-in-line-for-the-wii-u

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have one pre-ordered at Best Buy (US), but I may have to cancel. I would really like one, because we like Nintendo games, and HD Nintendo is a win, but money is just tight. That is all. So may have to wait until next year.

I *am* disappointed that they f'd up the voice chat. It is only possible through the gamepad controller, because that is the only controller that has a headset jack. Also you can't use the mic/speaker on the gamepad for voice chat. Wha? So basically no one is going to use voice chat because you don't get it out of the box, and the Pro Controllers are a bust because you have to stay tethered to the gamepad controller to do voice chat, AND there's no way to have multiple local players play online, all with voice chat. :( Well, Nintendo has to screw something up, I suppose. LOL. Having said that, perhaps they have the ability to use bluetooth headsets, perhaps just not enabled yet, or maybe it's just gone unmentioned. We will find out.

5. Dx_0628

Dx_0628 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Creating ideas for future gaming.
    Xbox 360!!!! Yeah buddy

Anyways lol I'll probably get it later on it's not something I'd get right away.

6. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #26 tygamr, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Yeah, I'm waiting on the Wii U for a while. Don't really need any other systems at the moment. Plus, the only title exclusive to the Wii U I am really interested in is Zombie U. Will probably buy it not long after a new Zelda or Metroid game is released on it.

The screen switching thing is a button combo on the Wii U remote but I can't remember exactly what it was. I think it is the start and select buttons (+ & -) at the same time?

As for the mic thing, I read something about USB mics working with the Wii U. Here is the link- http://kotaku.com/5952858/you-can-voice+chat-on-the-wii-u-while-gaming-but-theres-a-catch

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    how is this appealing for the "hardcore" gamer who already beat batman (1&2) ages ago, and can also buy the next call of duty for the consoles they already own?

imho the only way nintendo can make a dent is with their exclusive titles.. not with new, old or ancient multiplatform titles..

8. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Pre ordered the ZombiU deluxe pack along with Mario and Nintendoland a couple of months ago, getting excited now the release is so close (although as I'm in the UK I have to wait till the 30th).

Any of you guys stateside picking one up on Sunday?

Just read that IGN have apparently put back the review of ZombiU till the 18th now :( (was supposed to be tomorrow it hit) disappointed now cause I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they think of it.

9. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    What the hell did I just watch.

10. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #31 Rasterico, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    So the first lot of New Super Mario Wii U reviews have hit and it looks great! Only read one review that was anywhere near negative, even Destructoid's Jim Sterling heaped praise on it! Still interested to know if any of you guys are picking one up this Sunday and what games you will be buying alongside it if you're taking the plunge.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have one pre-ordered, but I am still possibly going to cancel. Not because I don't want one - I definitely do - just not sure we should be spending that much right now. I will probalby keep my pre-order of NSMBU at newegg because it was a deal and that's a game that's not likely to drop. Eventually we'll get a WiiU, just probably not this year.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I decided to keep my pre-order, but I haven't picked it up yet. It's theoretically waiting for me at Best Buy. I wasn't in a big hurry because it will be an Xmas gift. One friend of mine got one and has been playing it and likes it a lot and I've been hearing good things from others too... aside from a dog-slow system update.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Unfortunately nearly everything I've read so far has been pretty negative, just today I read accounts are tied to the console they were made on and can't be used on any other and also seems the day 1 update is bricking a lot of consoles and there is no way to recover them.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #35 crunc, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    Accounts tied to the console does suck (one hopes they change this in an update, but that's probably wishful thinking - they do mention later being able to log in with other devices, whatever that means), but I've certainly not been mostly reading negative stuff. Mostly it's been very positive. The system update has been a pain for everyone, but I don't know anybody that's had theirs bricked by it. Just failed a few times (apparently it resumes where left off when you retry) and generally been dog slow to download.

15. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #36 K.D!, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    Accounts are 'currently' tied to systems, Nintendo have already said that it will change and the few instances of the update bricking the console seems to have been only when the user turned their console off whilst it was still updating... whilst it is an unfortunate thing to happen, I'm not sure why anyone would turn their system of mid update anyway, bricking or not. And as crunc mentioned, they weren't permanently 'bricked', just temporarily frozen. The update is said to have taken most people around an hour to download and the update size is apparently about 5gig. Still, given how slow my PS3 downloads stuff, it's not new to me.

16. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yes, this is true. Nintendo has said that they will update the accounts in the future so that all purchases are tied to it, and you can log into other systems with the same account. They are also supposed to bring accounts to the 3DS to replace friend codes, and you're supposed to be able to use the same account on your 3DS as your Wii U.

As for turning off systems, a lot of people on the east coast (in the US) where the power is unstable have been having random power outages, so a lot of people who bought the Wii U have had it get bricked while updating due to power outages. The people that actually turned it off while updating are dumb.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd like to have good reason for owning every console out there, but I'm struggling with this one. The way I see it, we'll be able to bundle the games into three groups.

Nintendo-developed games: The most convincing reason to buy the console, but realistically... just not enough of them.

Shovelware: The most convincing reason to avoid the console.

Multi-platform games: The neutral zone. These will cater to more serious/hardcore gamers, but they don't particularly draw you to the Wii U since they're available on other consoles which already have impressive games libraries. Then there's the small issue of Sony and MS releasing new consoles within a couple of years, Nintendo will once again be getting lumbered with the weakest ports.

As much as I admire the hardware (except the second screen, I don't buy it at all), it's all about the games, and the focus these days leans heavily towards multi-platform, so if you're attempting to do something different with your console you run the risk of being ignored.

18. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Demo'd one of these at a local GameStop today, and I'm not too impressed. The console felt incomplete and... strange to control from the pad to screen in some games.

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Demo) on the Wii U