Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Let me know if this or CoC is better please.
Is it just a choice of preference on the themes... Vikings/Romans?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
Let me know if this or CoC is better please.
Is it just a choice of preference on the themes... Vikings/Romans?
My feeling is this: the people who are "too cool for school" will flock to this game as the anti-CoC, praising how much better it is than CoC that all them dummies are playing... even though it's just a reskin with more nudges to spend money. I have yet to find one element in the game that I can't map 1:1 to CoC.

Throw in Gameloft's standard half-arsed network code and I don't really see the competition. If you're going to play one of those two games, CoC, or at least wait for one of the upcoming CoC inspired games that aren't just soulless copies.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
My feeling is this: the people who are "too cool for school" will flock to this game as the anti-CoC, praising how much better it is than CoC that all them dummies are playing... even though it's just a reskin with more nudges to spend money. I have yet to find one element in the game that I can't map 1:1 to CoC.

Throw in Gameloft's standard half-arsed network code and I don't really see the competition. If you're going to play one of those two games, CoC, or at least wait for one of the upcoming CoC inspired games that aren't just soulless copies.
I agree 100%. CoC for sure. This game is pretty good but, I would never pick it had I had to choose. Clash of Clans is one of the truely FREE games on the App Store there is not one thing you cant earn in game without spending actual cash. Plus there is no adds. Which this game has by the way...
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

I noticed my deal breaker with this game this morning: in true Gameloft fashion, there is not only no actual enforced strategy, the interface is designed to take your money.

When you go into a battle, the way you deploy troops is identical to CoC. What is not identical is that after you've deployed, say, your last archer, no worries, if you press that deploy archer button again instead of getting the "select another troop type..." message CoC gives you, TC will "helpfully" deploy an extra archer for a mere 5 crowns... press it again, hey, here's another archer and there goes another 5 crowns.

So, yeah, if you're not paying extremely careful attention there goes a bunch of your premium currency you were saving. Not to mention the absolutely stupid idea of having a blatant pay to win mechanic built right in.

What makes CoC work, and what makes its continually high earning revenue puzzling to me, is that, as was said above, it's one of the few truly free games if you want it to be. I dropped $5 into it last October for the 4th builder and have never been tempted to spend money again because no matter how much you drop into it, it just pushes you into a higher bracket of competition. Put $1000 into it and, ok, you're higher up on the leader boards pretty quickly, but now you're competing with people who are just as decked out as you, you don't gain any real advantage. Further, they carefully stagger raising tech and economy caps to keep things competitive even at the most developed kingdoms.

Gameloft just said, screw all that, if somebody is willing to spend $20 a day on this game, they should win dammit, unless the other guy is willing to spend $21
Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Always wonder if Gameloft's coders cry themselves to sleep at night after spending their day squinting at lines of code to recreate and reskin someone else's work.
Yeah.. True.. I also wondered this

Though i have to admit - some rip-offs of Gameloft are quite good on quality and when they rip PC games bringing them to mobile (as they did with Order&Chaos mmorpg and moba) - they do good for us, gamers

But still - some rips are just shameless...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:22 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

New update just came out today to help address some of the bugs that we discovered and also to help with the server stability (:

Make sure you get it!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Coolness!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:34 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Fair warning to anyone playing this, I would advise against spending too much time on it currently (and especially not money).

There is an issue on iOS and Android where you will log-in and get someone elses game and yours will be gone.

Here's what happened to me:

Same issue here! I bought the 3rd Architect, and had the Forum building and the next time I logged in it wasn't my game anymore, Architect was gone, Forum was gone and all my funds. The really weird thing is the next day I got the notification saying my Forum was done building... obviously it wasn't there.

Links on the Gameloft forums of the same issues (and no Gameloft response).

http://www.gameloft.com/?request=for...goto%3Dnewpost

http://www.gameloft.com/?request=for...goto%3Dnewpost
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapshin View Post
Fair warning to anyone playing this, I would advise against spending too much time on it currently (and especially not money).

There is an issue on iOS and Android where you will log-in and get someone elses game and yours will be gone.

Here's what happened to me:

Same issue here! I bought the 3rd Architect, and had the Forum building and the next time I logged in it wasn't my game anymore, Architect was gone, Forum was gone and all my funds. The really weird thing is the next day I got the notification saying my Forum was done building... obviously it wasn't there.
This is something that's being addressed currently with the next update for the game. It's been a hot topic that I brought to the Dev team and they believe they've got it figured out.

In the meantime definitely contact our support if you have experienced this issue so they can work on restoring your progress or reimbursing your purchases!