★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Need more games on my iPhone! (rant)

09-12-2009, 07:26 PM
#1
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Need more games on my iPhone! (rant)

Anyone else find the 11-page limit on the iPhone completely annoying? Since really getting interested in iPhone apps and games and buying wayyyyyy too many of them, I'm seriously way over the maximum apps/pages limit on my iPhone. Yes, I know you can install a virtually unlimited amount of apps or games, however they're all hidden in a beyond-the-visible-realm area and quite frankly, you forget that they're there.

I know I might be classified as a pack rat, but I like to have apps and games on my phone in the 'just in case' event that I need an app for something or feel like playing a particular game at a particular time.

I'm a huge fan of games that can be replayed over and over again and don't necessarily have a pre-determined 'ending' (I'm looking at you Doodle Jump!) and thus have no reason to just remove from the phone. Perhaps that's one of the reasons my pages of apps are bursting at the seams. Also, aren't all game saves and information lost when removing a game or app to make room for another? What happens when you decide you want to play that game again later after deleting?

Sorry for the somewhat long-winded nature of this post, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts and frustration I do about the limit?

Clearly my wishlist would be as follows-

1. Let us add categories/stacks/folders/whatever so that we can consolidate similar apps/games together and free up space to add even more apps.

2. The 11-page limitation is (now I'm not a mobile hardware/software expert, so I may be wrong here) completely arbitrary. The app limit went from 148 apps to I believe 180 now-but that's just displayed apps. You can (as far as I know) install an unlimited number of apps, it's just that the only way to access them is to search explicitly for them once you fill up 11 pages. I see no particular visual design reason for 11 pages vs 15 or 20 or more, it's just dots on the bottom of the screen anyway. And if too many dots are a visual problem for Apple's designers, see #1 on my wishlist. Bottom line is, give us more pages for apps!

Anyone else have any ideas, or is there a solution to all of this (without jailbreaking) that I've missed?
09-12-2009, 07:31 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Behind You!
Posts: 862
I know you don't want find a solution without jailbreaking but why not? You can get Categories, 5 icon springboard, etc.

Add me on Game Center: weisome
Beta Tested: America's Next Top Model, Earth Vs Moon, iPlutoid, Minigore, Ground Effect, GeoSpin, Contre Jour

09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by red9 View Post
Anyone else find the 11-page limit on the iPhone completely annoying? Since really getting interested in iPhone apps and games and buying wayyyyyy too many of them, I'm seriously way over the maximum apps/pages limit on my iPhone. Yes, I know you can install a virtually unlimited amount of apps or games, however they're all hidden in a beyond-the-visible-realm area and quite frankly, you forget that they're there.

I know I might be classified as a pack rat, but I like to have apps and games on my phone in the 'just in case' event that I need an app for something or feel like playing a particular game at a particular time.

I'm a huge fan of games that can be replayed over and over again and don't necessarily have a pre-determined 'ending' (I'm looking at you Doodle Jump!) and thus have no reason to just remove from the phone. Perhaps that's one of the reasons my pages of apps are bursting at the seams. Also, aren't all game saves and information lost when removing a game or app to make room for another? What happens when you decide you want to play that game again later after deleting?

Sorry for the somewhat long-winded nature of this post, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts and frustration I do about the limit?

Clearly my wishlist would be as follows-

1. Let us add categories/stacks/folders/whatever so that we can consolidate similar apps/games together and free up space to add even more apps.

2. The 11-page limitation is (now I'm not a mobile hardware/software expert, so I may be wrong here) completely arbitrary. The app limit went from 148 apps to I believe 180 now-but that's just displayed apps. You can (as far as I know) install an unlimited number of apps, it's just that the only way to access them is to search explicitly for them once you fill up 11 pages. I see no particular visual design reason for 11 pages vs 15 or 20 or more, it's just dots on the bottom of the screen anyway. And if too many dots are a visual problem for Apple's designers, see #1 on my wishlist. Bottom line is, give us more pages for apps!

Anyone else have any ideas, or is there a solution to all of this (without jailbreaking) that I've missed?

Haha, I'm fine with the limit... I mean, I don't even have enough memory for all of the apps/games and I don't even spend that much money on apps/games to even worry about the limit. But, I can see why, in your case, you're annoyed.

All networks-xSouRx
09-12-2009, 11:14 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,509
This is like the 27th essay (and yes, I mean essay, there's an intro, three body paragraphs, and a frickin' conclusions for god's sake). We get it, it's frustrating. Jailbreak and move on.
09-12-2009, 11:22 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: the next whiskey bar
Posts: 5,549
I think you should just jailbreak. With redsn0w it only takes a few minutes and you can just install what weisome mentioned, categories and five column springboard, to fit more apps.
09-13-2009, 12:23 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisome View Post
I know you don't want find a solution without jailbreaking but why not? You can get Categories, 5 icon springboard, etc.
6 icon dock, as of a couple hours ago.
Downloading it now

Hakuna Matata
09-13-2009, 12:52 PM
#7
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: WHO KNOWS
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
6 icon dock, as of a couple hours ago.
Downloading it now
You can get an 8 icon dock...
09-13-2009, 10:20 PM
#8
Did I just read a 12 paragraph essay sent to a forum filled with strangers about how a man wants to spend more money on games that will be worthless in a month???
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 9,125
I have 16 pages

back
09-13-2009, 10:36 PM
#10
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: WHO KNOWS
Posts: 3,138
tl;dr