Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BeholdStudios

BeholdStudios Member

Jan 13, 2012
    That particular quest is really meant to be ass-whooping hard. It's like trying to beat the strongest Weapons in final fantasy 7 while still doing a time-run (just to compare to something real hard here).

It's something you can look forward to do while waiting for the next campaign. If any of you actually finishes it, send me a mail. [email protected]

2. Malthan

Malthan Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Bugged items?

Are the shop items that decrease travel costs bugged? I got the carpet, map and GM and the costs went up instead of down, for example a level 18 area now costs 23 gold to travel to.

3. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I think a severe level of grinding is required before that quest can be beaten. All characters need to have around 500-600 HP before the beloved character can be tackled.

4. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Can anyone explain exactly what is going On with berserk (the barbarian skill)? There seems to be a buncha stuff that's not in the explanation -- like you lose the ability to pick you target and you take damage every turn...?

5. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=163717][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163443][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163111][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163728][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=163714][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163775][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163413][​IMG][/thread] [thread=163720][​IMG][/thread] [thread=164155][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]KNIGHTS OF PEN & PAPER[/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    31/10/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this indie turn-based retro style pixel-art RPG?

[size=+3][thread=164002]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    11-07-2012 at 06:32 PM

6. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Where is the tavern?

7. raggedrobin

raggedrobin New Member

Nov 5, 2012
    gold?

Two things I still don't understand (apologies if someone already commented on them):

1) There's a percentage next to the towns, on the map. What does that percentage mean?

2) Is it days passed or your relative level which affects the gold monsters give you? I've noticed the game progressively stops giving you gold for lower encounters, but I'm not sure the exact cause. Is it days?

It seems like the best thing to do is start the game with ATK boosts on your AoE guys, particularly the Hunter, and then upgrade his weapons ASAP by gathering up the free Grindstones in the nearby caves. Then the Hunter can waste large groups without blinking. If the Hunter has the character with mana steal, he makes his mana back with every Volley.

8. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    #268 limmyfox, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    I'm only sure that the percentage next to towns are completion rates for some of us completionists. You need to finish up all the quests including slays.

I'm really loving the fact that there is a lot of replayability but there is a lot of things regarding skills which I'm not sure of mainly because sometimes I feel that the skills are buggy as opposed to work like I expect it to.

And yes the shop stuff are buggy too. Took me 250gold to go to 5dragon place. Looking forward to beating it and sending you an email. :) Will be a while though I'm starting again with new characters.

Question: For the mage, the skill that adds MP, the description also says that it adds magic damage. What is that magic damage?

9. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Bard is in yoga village but the quest starts in sunset castle.

Necro in wizards of the east.

Shaman starts out in the plains temple

10. Savahni

Savahni Member

Nov 1, 2012
    #270 Savahni, Nov 5, 2012
    Game Impressions

Finally decided to grab this after reading the whole thread. First impression is: Whoa.. it really IS that good! Should have been an insta-buy! A truly unique take on classical RPG. You are both the dungeon master and players.

I've been considering whether the game is any good mainly because of the screenshots which shows 'dated' graphics. I'm not one to judge a game mainly by its graphical presentation, but it is one of the indicator to see the production value. Thankfully all praises within the numerous reviews regarding the gameplay made me go for it. This is one of the rare gems which prove that Graphic is not everything and gameplay is the most important. The low price made it a steal! :D

This game brings back the wonderful feeling when playing Game Dev Story for the first time. Can't.. put.. this.. down.. :p

IMO, from what I experienced, for each point your standard spell damage is increased by 1? My level 1 fire spell gets more powerful (for example from 7 dmg to 8 dmg) after increasing that skill.. I may be wrong though since every skill point is got after leveled up (the damage increase may also because of lvl up).

11. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    It seems to increase damage by 0.5 or something. The damage doesn't always go up, but I've definitely seen it increase before, having compared the damage before using the skill point to afterward.

IMO it's often (but not always) better than upgrading the spells themselves, because the MP cost doesn't increase, your MP max does, and it gives a small power boost to all the spells, not just one.

12. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    #272 limmyfox, Nov 5, 2012
    I thought that might be the case too, but I leveled up 1 shaman and 1 mage side by side and it showed that their damage do increase by 1 whenever they level up, hence spell damage did not increase by 1 due to mage skill. :/

Edit: didn't see ktern's reply. :D Hope he is right though!

To all others who are still on the fence: This is a great game with huge replayability NOT COUNTING future campaigns. :D IAP is non-intrusive and not at all necessary, only if you want the luxury of convenience.

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    That skill just adds mp. However, as the dev said earlier in the thread magic damage is based on mo. 1 spell damage per every "few" mp. So if 4 is a few, then it raises it by 1.

14. Melanosol

Melanosol Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    Based upon my observations of the skill when I first got it, it was raising magic by the same amount as it was raising mp, and I was getting an extra damage to spells for every 4 magic (and thus each rank of it gave me 1 spell power more on spells. Though I'm not sure on the actual scaling with fireball, since its damage is both up front and over time).

15. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    awesome news! :D

16. LukeT

LukeT Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Im having a bug in the game, sometimes when I win a fight the game freezes, the music keep playing and I have to leave and finish the application, when I restart it the game this last fight I won isnt saved. Happened with me about 3-4 times. Anyone has experienced this before?
    Except from that, Im loving this game, but I think the IAP is not that optional, have to spend a lot for travels and upgrades(wich sometimes fail at the blacksmith and you have to spend money again, hate when this happens), the money you get in fights isnt that much, so you need some grinding to keep going. Not a dealbreaker for me, this is a very fun game.
    Congratulations for the succes of this game to the developers (Parabéns, muito sucesso, continuem fazendo bons jogos!)

17. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I only used the blacksmith quite late into the game when he was 50% success rate, and never failed any upgrade. I think it's better this way, you have way more gold later and can deal with the loss.

18. kazcat42

kazcat42 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Seems to happen when the last mob is killed by a DOT spell. I just use an item (ie an apple or other low lvl potion), then the victory screen comes up. No big deal.

19. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    Like someone said, I never used the blacksmith until much later in the game. You can even finish the game without going to the blacksmith once. The money earned from quests and monsters covered more than enough plus much more, I could even buy plenty of other stuffs from the shop too.

If you're grinding for money, make sure you're grinding at places that give you more money for your time, as opposed to killing 10,000 rats.

20. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You can also click the shield to defend, and it will finish the battle.