Universal Roll Back Home - a black & white adventure - by Dawn of Play

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DawnOfPlay, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Hey, guys,

We are launching a new iOS game on March 20th 2014 - Roll Back Home - a black & white adventure. And off to a good start - it was just nominated for "Best Upcoming Game" at IMGA!

Yes, this is a NEW thread for feedback on the trailer AND the game from the ones who were kind enough to volunteer for early pre-release testing, :D which the OLD thread was all about - now moved to promo codes - [thread=219814]you are welcome to request promo codes there[/thread] or via PM, but feedback is appreciated here in this thread! Thanks! :)

Without further ado, I present - the video trailer:

Roll the lost ball through underground mazes full of unique physics riddles - a roller coaster ride back home!

Roll Back Home is a physics puzzle platform game. Tilt to roll and jump with the lost ball through underground mazes full of mysterious riddles. Swing on large rams to smash walls, ride barrels to avoid being crushed and defy gravity, all to escape the dangers within the treacherous underground sewers. Presented in a sketched and animated flip book.

Features:
    * Tilt to roll and jump
    * Bounce and think through unique physics riddles
    * Ride a mine cart, swing big rams, roll on barrels, defy gravity and more

2. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Hey, thanks A LOT! So good to hear you like it!

And, oh, btw, me personally - I also prefer the touch control for jumping. :)

Ha, and more thanks, hope you like them as much! :D

3. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Hey, we hear you, that's why we didn't want to put doodle (oops!) anywhere in the description. :p The screenshots give it away, though. :p :D

Anyway, thanks a LOT - much appreciate your feedback, gives confidence++ - thanks! And, yeah, the smooth animations and the soft-body ball physics should differentiate it a bit from the rest of doodle games. :)

"winning title" - woohoo, may your words create the truth! THANKS again!

... ok, now I think we're safe on our way to winning that "most thankful developer of the year" award again. :D :p

Cheers!

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Alright...I'm back ;)

First off I'd not even put this in the same class as most other "doodle" games, I'd consider Roll Back Home a "Sketch Art Action/Puzzler" :D

This game is great. The tilt controls are absolutely flawless (there is a touch option as well). Level designs are so cool and the subtle hazards are tricky, at times, but fun. I like how the checkpoints are worked in too. I LOVE the variety of gameplay elements ie. boxes for climbing, pipes to navigate, rocks etc. the dynamic elements work great. It's nice that the levels aren't too long and they load really quickly for going back to shave a few seconds off your last run.

I do have a few questions. Is GameCenter currently not functional? Is this due to it being a prerelease version? If that's the case I would love to pay for the release version with GC enabled because I've been through how you have it set up and it's everything I could want, leaderboards for every individual level and combined world scores too. Also I'm a big achievements guy.

Anyways, thanks again for the promo copy of RBH, and best of luck and success with the release,

Richard

5. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Oooh, nice - "Sketch Art Action Puzzler" - I like this, I think we will be including this into our description! We labelled it as a "physics puzzle platform game" now... :)

Thanks a lot!

Hey, this is becoming weird - is it possible that everyone likes everything about this game?! :D

NO! I think you're all holding back! :) I said "brutally honest", remember?

Weird, it should be working! You might wanna try logging out of GC and then logging back in from within the game.

and .. "unfortunately" you probably won't be able to pay for the release version (we don't mind, though! :) ), because this is the release version - you own it now and it will get updated and all when it comes out on the App Store.

Thanks a bunch! :)

6. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I don't know if this will help, GameCenter is working..sort of. Now my individual level scores are showing up but when I check the chapter 1score it shows as "No Data Available". Also , the achievements aren't "sticking", they keep repeating.

7. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Hmm, I think this might just be a temporary glitch on Game Center side - or, well, I hope so and happens to us as well with new games we're making - when it goes live, these kinds of problems are (usually) gone.

Ok, the "sticking" part is intentional, though - well, we marked the first two achievements ("Perfect" and "In time") as "achievable-more-than-once = yes", so that's why - we wanted to give an achievement for every time you finish a level in time or without dying, but - yeah, that doesn't work so well, so we'll be removing those, and we are thinking of adding a progress achievement in the style of "finish 10 levels in time" etc ...

So, yeah, this is the point of this pre-release party! Keep'em coming! :)

Thanks!

Žiga

8. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep, it is :) I just bought another game and GameCenter is glitching. Thanks.

9. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Ah, well, there we go - hope those glitches go away soon for you!

10. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Roll Back Home final build approved

The final Roll Back Home build was just approved

... which means ...

WE'RE ALL SET FOR MARCH 20TH!

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback - and if you have anything else to add we'd be happy to read it all and consider it for the first update!

ps: If you got the pre-release copy, it should get updated automatically - let us know, if it did (not)! Thanks!
    And if you DID NOT catch it, you are free to PM ME for one, we have a new batch ready - we are giving them away freely for some feedback! Thanks!

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This game looks like a mighty good adventure, PM sent :)

12. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep the game is freaking cool, hope you get a code :)

13. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    We might need to quote you on that! :)

"Yep the game is freaking cool."
    -- rich_952000, 2014

14. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Oh, and we got the IMGA badge now as well as "hard proof"! \o/

[​IMG]

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

This game is great. The art style is wonderful and the gameplay is smooth, fluid, and fun. Reminds me of NightSky, but with a greater focus on physic-based interaction with the environment.

Now I hate to be that guy, but while I like the tilt scheme, I'd also like to see an option for touch controls. NightSky had a nice set-up: hold the left/right side to move in that direction, tap the opposite side to jump.

16. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks!!

Yeah.. you're not the first to say that, so not that guy :) (sorry! :) ), but we do have the touch option for jump. So just to clear this up - you'd like to have the touch control option for the left/right controls as well?

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks I got it :)

I agree with Bronxsta, game is great and has reminiscences of NightSky.

And I also agree with all those guys who asked for touch controls. Both options is always better.

Thanks for the code. Will get you back somehow :)

18. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Yes, touch to move left and right as well.

I just love the little touches like how the sticky black surfaces cling to your ball or how the countdown effect looks like a flip book. The art style is the highlight IMO, and the gameplay is just as good

19. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Ok, got it, all-touch controls request +1.

And thanks! :)

20. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Best upcoming game - imga - vote now! :)

We really need your help now! How about it - you in?

So - on March 20th IMGA (the International Mobile Game Awards) will announce the winners of the People's Choice Award!

And what can you do about it? Well, you can register and vote here:

http://www.imgawards.com/EN/vote.php

And hey, if you feel there's another game looking better than Roll Back Home among the "Best Upcoming Game" nominees, you should totally go and vote for it!

Cheers!