Topia: Age of Creation by Crescent Moon and the co creator of Populous!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Hey all,
    Glenn Corpes (Creator of Ground Effect and Co Creator of Populous) and I are doing a little experiment together on this idea for a world
    sim, with creature and plant growing. You shape the world with your fingers and watch things grow, trying to protect your herd. I don't have any firm release dates or anything like that, its more of an experiment right now.
    Will keep you updated with more images/vids as it progresses. :)
    Ideas and suggestions would be cool too, just to hear your thoughts.
    -Josh

Attached Files:

2. darioslzr

darioslzr Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    Excellent idea! I remember Populous...

3. $en$or

$en$or Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Gaming Editor
    Israel
    Like the concept Josh, hope it would be a blast success for you:)

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    How much is gona cost and when is it coming out jk :)

Sounds interesting. Is it going to be along the lines of something like the ngmoco freemuim game. It would be cool to have something along the lines of black and white maybe.

Cant wait to see what this grow into :D

5. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
  6. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    This looks pretty cool and interesting.

7. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    This is not game like Populous?
    Magic,shamans?? :(

8. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    If you think Populous was about Magic and Shamen you are thinking of the third game, Populous The Beginning, which was cool but was more of an RTS with direct control. The first two games which were more about effecting the outcome via godlike powers, most of which transformed the landscape.

In this respect Topia owes more to the original Populous than the Populous III The beginning. The player is God or the force of nature... More detail coming soon.

9. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    Looks a lot like a Jurassic Park demo I used to play... Sounds good to me!

10. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Here is a nice suggestion: make it a rts like populous?:)
    Pupulous3 was pretty nice.

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Ooh. Looks pretty cool.

12. Tommy_jr

Tommy_jr Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Yes please make it like the first populous where you can create your own race of animals through cultivating the land and then battle an opponent!!!

13. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    hmmmmm... looks good and interesting! :D

14. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Here's a suggestion: make your own rts :)

Just kidding...
    To those suggesting other games we could do with the engine, feel free. We Intend to see this Engine used for other games. We have a bunch of them lined up already* but right now we are spending a little time exploring something that, we think, hasn't quite been done before. If it doesn't work out the game may well evolve into something less Strange but Josh and I thrashed this idea out over several months and it's too cool to not try to get it playable. It's kind of a risk but we both think it's worth investing a little time on.

If we screw up, you might just get your RTS anyway...

15. Waylander13

Waylander13 Active Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Looks great honestly :) I'm sure the game will be brilliant :)

16. sakinnuso

sakinnuso Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Really looking forward to this game. When are you guys thinking about releasing it? I regularly look on the appstore for games like this for my iPAD, which would seem ideal with gigantic screen and touch interface. For some reason, these realistic 'life sims' haven't been popular on the iDevices, which is confusing. As a matter of fact, there aren't really many real strategy, rts, or sim games AT ALL on the device, which is a real mystery.

I guess i have an obsession with controlling the fates of swarms of little men, and your game definitely looks like it'll fill that void. A couple of questions, though:

1. Will players simply deform the terrain to affect the lives of the creatures? How much interaction will we have with them? If this leans closer to SPORE (on PC) it would be amazing, although I imagine that AI processing would be insane.

2. I'm unfamiliar with Populous, but i love the idea of high end graphics and deep strategy game play. Games like the 4x space sims promise this type of experience, but never deliver quite visually, as they're often ports of older PC games. Can you describe the type of game play that you're aiming for? I have no frame of reference....

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Populous, you say?!?

Forget Dead Locked (or whatever it's called)... expedite this release.

18. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    This game is about growing life on a planet, essentially by terraforming the landscape. You shape it to move the dinosaur like creatures around - and they herd, mate, create offspring, and you have to fend off predators. Its sort of like as if you were in a helicopter above the plains of Africa (in Prehistoric times) and were able to shape mountains. There are other aspects that we haven't delved into yet, but its certainly an interesting experiment and very cool engine that Glenn is developing.

19. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    The concept is certainly unique and intriguing, will keep tabs on this game!

20. banlieue

banlieue Well-Known Member

May 22, 2011
    Clever conception I should say!
    All you are talking about is so fantastic and intriguing. Have you any plan for micro visual angle of this? A "god" would always want more control you know;)