Modern Combat: Beginner's guide

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by oscar123967, Jul 25, 2014.

1. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #1 oscar123967, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    For the beginners out there, heres a little lazy but helpful guide I made:

These iOS FPS games are always extremely awkward when you first start playing, but after a while you'll get better & better & you'll be able to control it as well as any console shooter. I've been playing these iOS fps games since 09, so I wouldnt expect you to just magically get the hang of it. Remember having to learn how to play on a controller? You'd look down and see which buttons are which, or you wouldnt be accurate with the joystick. Expect the same experience here. After a while, its just going to be muscle memory.

Moving and Panning the Camera:

First off, dont ever release the joystick during a gunfight. Pretend that your left thumb is glued onto your screen. Always be on the move, even when you aim down sights. If you'd like to stay in a certain spot, continuously move the joystick left and right — this is know as strafing. So you shouldn't have a problem with the movement controls.

I like to keep my buttons near the bottom left corner so I could have some room for aiming.
    The area which I aim with is right above the fire button. Its key too keep them a little bit close
    [​IMG]
    That being said, don't ever let your right thumb do nothing. Most of the time you're going to be panning the camera around, so its key to find a sensitivity that suits you & an area that suits you. When you're not panning the camera around, you're going to be shooting/ADS. This is the part that takes a lot of time to get used to.

You should also have auto sprint ON. I have it off simply because I'm use to it from MC3 & 4.

Taking out the Enemy

When you spot an enemy, quickly pan the camera towards them so that the enemy is within the circle:
    [​IMG]
    That is the part that every beginner gets wrong. Beginners usually try to be percise and aim directly at the enemy so that theyre right underneath the crosshairs, and then they fire. Wrong. Just pan the camera enough so that they are within the radius of the circle I drew.

(If close range)
    Once you've got them within the circle, youre going to have to QUICKLY lift up your RIGHT thumb (remember don't let go of the virtual joystick) then QUICKLY drop it on top of the fire button. Youre then going to want to get the enemy under your crosshairs while youre firing. Its going to take a while to get the pattern & quickness down, but I guarantee after some practice its all going to be muscle memory.

(If mid to long range)
    Once you've got them within the circle, youre going to have to QUICKLY lift up your RIGHT thumb (remember don't let go of the virtual joystick) then QUICKLY drop it ontop of the ADS button, then lift up the thumb again, then do the steps in "if close range".

After the Kill

Once you've gotten the kill, check to make sure that the area is clear, lift your thumb, (undo the ADS), & reload. Reload reload reload. Remember reload. Another rookie mistake, they forget there is a reload button. After you've reloaded then start panning the camera again.

There is not one time during these steps where you would release the joystick.

To remember these steps I recommend whispering to yourself. Such as "circle, lift, fire, kill" or "joystick, joystick, joystick". It may make you sound like a lunatic, but it will help these steps become an instinct. It all just boils down to muscle memory, and to achieve that you'll need practice.

Hope this helped. Also, finish the campaign while doing all of these steps. Pretend you're in multiplayer. It'll make great practice. Watch some other people play on youtube as well (the more experienced players). Bnatesgamer is the most popular MC5 youtuber, so check him out.

Recon

Recon is actually really fun when you get used to how it works. There are going to be many times where you have to flee because you're too far from the enemy (and its pretty easy since you're so fast). It might be tempting to fire at em, but keep in mind you're going to take longer than usual since you lack range therefore your opponent will have an advantage and at the same time you will be exposing yourself to other foes

You also have to learn the maps. Take routes that have more cover than usual. For example, on rooftops when running on the sides of the map try to weave between cover. If you're not able to get into cover within a second, you're doing it wrong. A tactical advantage is always going to be better than a firepower advantage.

Also keep an eye on the mini map. Once you see a red dot appear, head that direction and try to find a flanking route. Flanking routes are ALWAYS in the outer parts of the maps.

Don't try to stay in one area and peek out from a wall continuously. Thats not how you play recon, If an enemy sees you he'll just aim down his sights and wait for your head to peek out. Always be on the move

Don't use a silencer, your damage will drop significantly making the SMG practically useless.

Always pie when going from location to location. (Pie - checking all angles to make sure no one is there). Also, always take routes that give you as minimal angles of exposure as possible!

When possible, grab the higher ground advantage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------​

If anybody has any other beginner tips, please feel free to post them :) Tips can range from controls, to killing, to surviving, really just anything that could help a fellow TA member.

2. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the tips! I like how GL incentivized playing the campaign (ie: making it possible to unlock guns/items via campaign).

Quick question - where/how do I move around and resize my buttons? I checked in control settings and was unable to find the customize option.

3. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    You have to access it while in a campaign level or a multiplayer game. You can then access a "customize HUD" menu. You can move & pinch to resize buttons :D

4. DaynjaDog

DaynjaDog Member

Jul 12, 2014
    How do I get the RED-34?

5. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    You need to level up the assault weapons by using them :) the RED will be the last weapon you'll unlock