Free app uninstalls

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Rasterman, May 15, 2015.

1. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    How many uninstalls do you guys have with your free apps? On the Android store I have a 97% uninstall rate. I think my marketing or app may need to be adjusted because the number of uninstalls seems VERY high to me, but if this is close to normal then maybe not?!?

If my uninstalls are very high I think it's because most people probably think my app is freemium, which it is not, it is a demo/full version model, where 1 IAP unlocks the entire game, and the demo version is heavily feature crippled to entice people to upgrade. I'm not sure how to best market this, should I simply say this in the description, or split the app into 2 apps, one labelled a demo, and the other labelled a full version? Splitting the app seems like going backwards with the ability to upgrade in the game immediately with IAP.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I guess if it is heavily crippled they have to make the call to delete or buy and 97% are choosing delete.

3. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Uninstall rate? They won't last a lifetime for sure. I think you meant for the duration before uninstall. Looking at the retention rate for one of my app (similarly demo/full) using App Store Analytics, I'm seeing about 10-15% active user after 5 days and probably 3-7% after 10 days. I guess it all depend on the depth that your game demo offer before the user are required to upgrade.

Will people pay for your full game if they have tried it?

If you think that's a yes, are you offering a sufficient demo to emulate what the user will get in the full game? Did heavily crippling the game affected the user experience that the player should expect in order to fall in love with your game?

If it's a no, it's probably time to reconsider your monetization method.