Game Design (Codename: Circles and Bombs)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by triggywiggy, Nov 14, 2010.

1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    #1 triggywiggy, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    This is a brief concept design of a game i and my good friend olliewollie are thinking on working on. This is not going to be what it looks like but its just a Base and gives you an idea of what it will be like.

Before i show you the image i will explain the game. The aim of the game is to drag the Circles into the boxes on the left and right according to there color. If you touch a Bomb you lose a life if you let a circle go down out the screen you lose a life. So basically the colors are on a escalator sort of thing. Also if you touch a Grenade it clears all the circles and gives you those points (1Point paie circle. And if you touch a heart you get an extra life. As you get to harder levels the speed will increase and the shape of the escalator thing will change making it harder. (PS) Sorry about the image size

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think. Also keep in mind the menus and quality if the game
    wont look that bad it was just that i was using Paint and Publisher :O.

Also if you can think of any cool names for the game or ideas that would be highly appreciated.

So far we have the name "Drag Or Boom!"

2. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    I really need your opinions guys as i am not sure what everyone else thinks of the idea.

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Ummm new gameplay...
    Circle Speed, Circle Touch, Drag and Boom?

4. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks for the names.

When you say new gameplay what exactly do you mean?

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I meant this game is something I haven't see. The nearest I seen to this was Wispin.

6. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    #6 Qurao, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    Sounds like a really interesting concept. If you can get some nice graphics on it, I'm sure it'll be fun. I think something that'd be important for this game is that there are multiple game modes; if there's only one mode, in a game like this, it gets really old, really fast. (An example of an alternate game mode could be tasking you with having to clear the bombs of the screen before they explode.)

I like the smiley on the Game Over page. It fits with the game, as it looks like one of the yellow circles sobbing over the loss of its colored brethren.

I realize that this is only a proof of concept, but he bar with lives, score, and so on should probably be located at the top of the screen, as I, among others, find it much easier to get a quick overview of.

I've even got an idea for a background, for the main menu, for you: a bomb with an angry face, chasing crying, colored circles into the foreground as it explodes.

I like quirky names, so "Drag or Boom!" is a name I could get behind. I have a very simple name suggestion for you: "Bombs are Evil"

If you decide to make something of this game, let me know, as I've got more suggestions for you, to spice up the gameplay ;)

7. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    This Is a new thing for us. IOS dev doesn't look easy and it may take a while to develop such a game but with you and TAs help I think we will get through it.

I am thinking of using GIMP for graphics. I don't really want to pay
    much more then the initial $100.

As for the name "Bombs are Evil" it sounds good but the bombs ain't the
    Main aspect of the game. Maybe you could think of a way to involve the bombs some more?

We are currently brainstorming ideas for the game modes aswell like:
    -Classic
    Survive for a sertain time limit through out in-creased difficulties over different game worlds. Different paths will probably be implemented.

-Survival
    Survive for along as you can on as the speed increases over time.

-Brain Trick mode
    The balls will have color names on them ( Balls will have a different color to the names) and the user has to place the balls in the color box in which the word on the ball is. A bit like one of those brain trick games.

I think that only the first mode will be entered into Inicial release.

8. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    I've jotted down some notes and sketches on paper, for a new mode, and some heavy additions to the general gameplay. I'm not sure how well they could be implemented, seeing as you're new to developing on the platform (I don't know how hard they are to implement, seeing as I'm not a developer.)

I don't really want to type it all out on the forums, but if you shoot me an email address, I'll type in my notes, and probably include some quick sketches.

9. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Thx. I will pm you my email

10. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I'm going to be completely blunt and say that many of these dreams do not become reality. if you have no programming background it will be so much hard work, and if you have no actual previous use or skills in a graphics program the graphics will no doubt be shoddy and the game not very good.

Prove me wrong, but as has been the case every time, in a
    bout a month this game will either be vaporware or no further than it is today.

11. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    I agree that there's a high probability of failure, for people just starting out, but everybody's got to start somewhere, right?

I've sent you the email. Let me know what you think.

12. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    I have knowledge of HTML code not that it is much similar to the codes used for iOS and have some knowledge of how to use GIMP plus I see this as an on going thing that, even though it may take a while to set up, I will do so.

13. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    The initial release, when it does come out willprobably only include 2 game modes but after that we should be able to add more. I'm sure that after about 3 months I will start to understand Command-C. Would also like to add, I have used Visual Basics swell though it is a different language.

Do you know of any Command-c tutorials for beginners?

14. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Here is a Picture of what the balls for our game may look like.
    [​IMG]
    Tried uploading them as there original files but there backgrounds turned black.
    Gets me why image unloaders remove image transparency :(

15. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Maybe you should think about changing image hosting service ;)

The circles look decent, but it's hard to judge how it'll turn out, without any other indication than that image.

16. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    most seem to not load transparent images correctly.

Looking around the net for some command-c tuts at the monent

17. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    At the moment i have all the plans written down and i am going to download some development tools tonight. Is there any Developers out there that know a better Free Picture Editor than Gimp?

And what is your guys opinion on the name "Drag or Boom!"?

18. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    #18 triggywiggy, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    At the moment i will have to put the development on hold, Due to IOS development kit requires Snow Leopard Which i dont have. So the Development will be on hold until Lion comes out as the Mac i am using is used to run a business and after reading all the reviews on apple about Snow Leopard removing documents, slowing mac down, causing printer to not work and so on i am not convinced that getting the latest mac Os software is a good idea.

So yeah the game will probably get started after Lion OS comes out. Looking at the predicted release times that looks like 5 months. On the Plus side at least i have time to get every detail i need about the game and so on.

19. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    a) if you're wanting to develop games you're going to have to spend, and buy a decent graphics software. You have to pay $200 dollars to begin publishing games on the app store so you may as well get started now.

b) snow leopard is meant to be very good as everyone I know has reiterated. Again, buy it if you want to make this app a reality.

How old are you? Just curious.