Multiplayer in Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RaptorF35, Feb 1, 2011.

?

Where should we have multiplayer

1. Put multiplayer in everything!

35.7%
  2. Keep everything singleplayer.

3.6%
  3. I like Multiplayer only in certain types of games(specify)

60.7%
  1. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    #1 RaptorF35, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    What is your opinion about putting multiplayer gameplay in certain types of games like Fruit Ninja or N.O.V.A?

I think we should just have multiplayer in traditional multiplayer games like N.O.V.A or Real Racing 2, while the multiplayer in fruit ninja is fairly fun, I think games like fruit ninja should expand into singleplayer instead of trying to put multiplayer in. I personally play more singleplayer than I do multiplayer in games like fruit ninja.

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i love multiplayer games.....i have been playing nova and MCBP 2

games like fruit ninja are better single player, but multiplayer adds another dimension to the games

3. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

Multiplayer is a great feature to have for games where there's either room to move around a virtual environment, or it's turn-based and can be played over a period of time. For example, great multiplayer games I currently have are Pocket Legends, Archetype, Dungeon Hunter 2, Real Racing 2, Tap Tap Revenge 4, etc. The turn-based games I enjoy are more like board games: Words With Friends, Underworld, We Rule...

For others, I think they should stick to leaderboards at most because multiplayer, however inclusive it may be, can detract from the actual game and its intent.

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    multiplayer is great for any game, and half the time it boosts the sales. People like to interact and be social and game together

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #5 backtothis, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    I usually hate casual games, but multiplayer sure adds a flair to them. Fruit Ninja and Flight Control are too overused examples, but it's true as hell.

If you're going to make a shooter (fps), don't bother releasing it without multiplayer. See how I said fps so Dead Space doesn't count? Aha.

Rts games and generally strategy games of all kinds (board, turn-based strategy) need multiplayer. Turn based works well as long as there's a time limit on how long the opponent(s) has before they forfeit their turn. Rts..yeah, please just include it.

I feel like RPGs on the iOS don't really need online mode; I know many people feel differently, but this genre is generally one I prefer to play alone on the idevice. On the pc..that's a story for another day, hehe.

Oh, racing games. Real Racing 2? Have you seen how well the online system works? There's a lot to learn from Firemint for developers working on future racers.

Just a short summary of my thoughts.

6. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    ima a competetive person so any multiplayer that has me racing or shooting other people is fine with me but slicing fruit is a no no. I am a fan of co op multiplayer but the only game that i know that has co op multiplayer is star battalion which is horrible

7. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I dunno if everyone's forgotten about it, but Eliminate Pro is co-op.

8. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    sorry i meant campaign co-op and plus the only thing i rmb from eliminate coop was people shooting me away with grenade launchers so they can they can pickup the credits/kill/item drops