Introducing our first iPhone game: Tipix

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Touchsmiths, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Touchsmiths

Touchsmiths Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    #1 Touchsmiths, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    Hello TA,

We would like to announce that our game Tipix is complete and will be submitted to the App Store shortly!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At its core, the game is a hybrid of Breakout and Labyrinth but with a gorgeous art style. The variety of strategies and challenges on each level provide something different for both casual and seasoned gamers.

The objective is to move a marble around the screen and destroy all of the blue tiles covering the picture. The catch is that you have to do so while avoiding the hazards that are scattered everywhere (red, yellow, green, purple, and black tiles). Your score is constantly ticking down, so clear the blue tiles as fast as you can!

Features:
    - 21 levels, hand crafted tile by tile, each offering vastly different strategies for success
    - 5 hazardous tiles that if touched will affect your score or your marble (Super Slow-Mo, Reverse Accelerometer, etc.)
    - Chipmunk physics engine that accurately "rolls" the marble providing top-notch tilt controls
    - Zero load screens and short (but challenging!) levels mean quick playtime whenever and wherever
    - Get the highest score possible on each level and then compete against the rest of the world with your Total Score!

We are targeting a release date of early June (it will largely depend on the speed of the approval process at this point). We are also planning to have a release day sale of $0.99 before being raised to our standard price point of $2.99.

Be sure to check out our preview video of Tipix to see it in action:

2. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Hello Touchsmiths, and welcome to the forums :) It is always great to see another developer on board here.

The "roll the marble" genre has certainly been thoroughly exploited on the app store, but this looks like it has a few unique gameplay features that could set it apart. I shall be watching over the progress of this one.

~Fletch

3. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    wooooah

cool looking! i'll try it out tomorrow :p

4. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA

Sorry for the confusion! Tipix is not released yet. We plan to have it in the app store by the middle of May (pending Apple's approval process).

5. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    lol oops

overly excited after the first picture x_x

6. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    For your first iPhone app, this looks beautiful. I always respect devs that are active in forums (preferably TA :D). Good job, this app looks beautiful and the colors look very nice. Congratulations on your first app guys, must feel really good.

7. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA

Thanks for the kind words! We are really happy that there is such a strong community of developers and consumers together in one place. In our opinion, TouchArcade has really helped the iPhone app industry flourish with it's great support for developers.

Also, for those that are interested, we will be posting a video of Tipix in the coming days so you can get a much better idea of how the game looks and feels.

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Welcome to TA :)

Is the gameplay like breakout meets labyrinth?

9. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Just wanted to ask for a video... :)
    Welcome to TA!

10. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA

On face value, I would say that's an appropriate analogy but it does go a lot deeper than that. We will post a video soon to give you a better idea. :)

11. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
  12. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #12 Zincous, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Nice, I like the video.

What are some of the penalties for getting the wrong color? I didn't see any consequences when you picked up other colors.

Is it a points deduction type of thing?

Edit: saw the penalties in your first description, but I didn't see any of those happening when you did it in the video....

13. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    #13 Touchsmiths, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009

For example, in the video when the ball ran over the yellow tile, the ball slows down significantly. In the video, our tester compensated for that by tilting the phone like crazy to make the slow ball go faster.

So in the video it appeared that there wasn't a large change, but trust me, the player definitely "feels" the consequences. :)

Here are the list of hazards and the associated consequences:

Red tiles: -1 second penalty
    Yellow tiles: Super Slow-Mo
    Green tiles: Reverse Accelerometer
    Purple tiles: Teleport
    Black tiles: Death!

14. iphonecrazy

iphonecrazy Member

Mar 6, 2009
    i will try it!:)

15. AClockworkSausage

AClockworkSausage Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Systems Analyst
    That a picture of burning cigarettes for a background image?

16. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA

Yep. I hope people dont construe it as something else! Thanks for pointing it out, we'll probably change it in the final version just to be on the safe side.

17. AClockworkSausage

AClockworkSausage Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Systems Analyst
    I would change it, personally. There are a lot of young people that either have access to, or their own, iPods that might buy this game and you know how hyper sensitive some parents can be :)

18. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    #18 Touchsmiths, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Tipix has been submitted to Apple and should be out sometime between May 19-May 24 with a worldwide release sale of $0.99 (for a limited time)! Afterwards, the standard price point will be $2.99.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a video preview:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ldnidc8usk

Cheers!

19. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Looks cool. And welcome!

I only have room for one labyrinth/ball-tilter on my device... and yours seems to have some depth lacking in most. I'll check it out.

20. punkin

punkin New Member

May 10, 2009
    wow, watched the youtube video...am very impressed!

aesthetically, the game looks fabulous. it also seems that the game can be enjoyed by both casual and experienced gamers. i know some developers have had issues with the tilt function, but the demo makes this one seem pretty accurate and easy to get the hang of.

congrats on your first game...i look forward to its release!