Lite version 'How to' questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by wastedyuthe, May 29, 2009.

1. I didn't feel the need to have a lite version while my app was $.99. However I am upping the price when the next update is out, and then I shall like to release a Lite version of the game so people can try it for free.

This is my first app released, and I would like to know how I go about releasing a Lite version. I assume I can just use a copy of the same code, but just change certain values, such as the Bundle Identifier to "PunkLite" for example, right? If that's the case, which values exactly do I need to change to make the lite version a seperate app from the full version?
    Also, if I want to add a UIButton to the main menu which links to the full version in the app store, how do I do that?

Thanks for any help.

2. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    What we do is (from memory, so I may be forgetting a step or two):
    1) Create a new build target for the Lite version
    a) duplicate an existing target and change 'copy' to 'Lite' in the target name
    c) get info on the lite target and append "Lite" to the Product Name. While you are here, notice the name of your Info.plist File, it should be <dir>/<appName> copy.plist
    d) Find the copy.plist that was created and change its name to <appName> Lite.plist (now verify the name change in the get info for your lite target)

2) Modify your <appName> Lite.plist
    a) Change your CFBundleIconFile to point to your new icon
    b) Change your version number to 1.0.0
    c) Change your CFBundleIdentifier

3) Update your code to remove full-version features
    a) You can set a compile flag and use it to conditionally compile your full vs lite features. What you do here probably depends on how different the two versions will be.

Regarding the button that links to your full version, just copy your iTunes URL and do an openURL request on that link. If you can't find out how to do this, I can dig up my code.

3. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    As a consumer, not developer, I have a suggestion
    Many comapnies continue to introduce lite versions that seem to either boost or lower sales. These versions offer nothing to paid-version buyers and leave a big impression on new buyers. CJS and other companies are making "lite versions" that i hope becomes the future of the app store

Instead of offering a demo to the game, these developers are creating new games that teach the player basic controls and offer a new gaming experience for paid version consumers. (i dont own your game and i am just guessing) Maybe you could create an app in which you train by hitting speed bags and heavy bags or training robots. Devs have found ways to link between their apps on one ipod. For instance, if you complete this version, in the paid version you can get golden gloves (that might have been a bad example, but i dont know ur game). This adds playability for both types of consumers and adds respect for the developer.
    I truely believe that this is a great choice and hope you can honor my opinion.

Well, thats IMO

4. Touchsmiths

Touchsmiths Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the help, we were wondering this ourselves should we choose to have a Lite version in the future.

5. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    who was that regarding?
    my comment?
    if so, i hope u make this descion

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

You bring up some interesting ideas MetroGnome but there are a few points to keep in mind. I believe most developers see the Lite-version as a piece of advertising plain and simple. (I know I do). ;) If they (we) could issue a time-limited version instead they probably would, but at the moment this is not possible. The idea is to have enough of a game to give the player a lust for more. I have a hard time seeing why owners of the full version should have any interest in the Lite version.

Making an "alternate" version to show of the game would make it more interesting but would also mean having to create more artwork which costs money/takes time. This could be a brilliant way to advertise a new API, making a free prologue to a new adventure game for instance, but in many ways this is akin to the developer actually making a whole new app, just not charging for it. In many cases this would simply not be worth it financially I guess...

7. moleki

moleki Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

May 22, 2009
  8. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    #8 MetroGnome217, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    I can agree with NickFalk, I have no concept of the time and money put into a game. As I said, I am a consumer not a producer. I understand that making an alternate version would be difficult and time consuming compared to making a lite version.
    It all boils down to the fact that the App Store is expanding by the second. I have seen many Devs being taken advantage of by competitors and consumers alike. For me, I base my purchases off several points (this is specifically for games):
    Fun
    Graphics
    Dev Reliability
    Replayability
    Interface/ Controls

One point that I mention, Dev reliability, refers to apps made in the past, and ability to update. I feel that by providing your fanbase with free content, the money will be paid back tenfold if all these checkpoints are met. I have seen many apps and experienced changes in the Store since its opening and I feel that Devs with commitment tend to triumph the most. Many apps have been successful, but one of the only apps to meet these guidelines is... (i know im gonna be flamed for this) Pocket God. I know, I know it is not really a game and some may feel there is not a lot of replay ability. You are correct about that and that is were this app falls short. It is fun, nice graphics, is somewhat repayable, has a nice interface, nice controls, and most importantly, has committed devs. Look at the following this "game" has created. As TA members, I am sure you are aware of the weekly threads.
    Back on topic. To earn a crowd and make a name for yourselves as devs you must be innovative, creative and willing to perfect your creations. Creating an alternate app is a way of pleasing the entire crowd and becoming successful. Period.

9. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    this is a good topic and id like to see it continue

10. Thanks very much to M of IMAK, and Moleki (welcome to the forums both of you) for the instructions- appreciated.
    There is some very interesting discussion here on Lite versions, which has made me think a little on what I want in mine. Good stuff.

11. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    have you considered any of my opinions

12. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    As a developer, I have been assuming that consumers expect the lite version to give them a taste of the full version. They would like it to be as similar to the full version as possible, but understand and expect it to be limited in one way or another. We did something possibly like what you are talking about. We have a set of (Brain Blaze) flashcard apps, one for each operation, and we made one of the operations free for a while. So, in the sense you are talking about, it would have been valuable to both potential and current purchasers of the other operations.

I think you have a good idea to link the free to the paid app in some way. We have been thinking of how to do this with our apps.

Thanks for providing a consumer point of view.

13. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    has anyone seen an example of how devs link their apps?
    can this even be done?

14. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    You can communicate directly between the apps or you can use a central server. More options will be available in the future.

15. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Tapulous does it. For example, if you make an account in TTR2, it'll automatically be added in any of the Premium Tap Tap games you get.

16. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    Yes that might be a good idea,
    our release of the lite version ClapBoardLT immediatly dropped the sellings of the full version AClapBoard to ZERO!
    there is a reference in the description and the App Store,
    but I saw one review mentioning a missing email function which is exactly the LITE restriction,
    maybe the LITE is not lite enough and people are not searching for the full version.
    ( the downloads of the lite is around 100 times more than was for the full version before the lite appeared.) and the full was only tier 2 (I just increased it maybe this helps getting more value???)

17. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    For vipValet, I stripped the online functionality of the free version, the save/resume feature, some 'helpers' and I also limited how hard the game gets.

It's still a functional game and you can still play it, but it removes some things that people that pay the $1 should expect.

18. rdklein

Apr 3, 2009
    Munich
    yes that seems to work as on POC Lite I set a timelimit to play for 1/2 if someone wants to play longer per game (I assume then he likes it) the full version helps - I this case I kept the highscore for the lite but due to the 1/2 hours its limited then also (maybe has its own charme to try to get fast to a highscore) -- but the ratio is 1001 to 200 using the highscore from full to lite version.

for the clapboard maybe I have to wait and anyway to put more functions into the full version - currently they are very close

-- question did you provide a link to the full version or any hint ?
    I had to remove my hint to the full version to get approved (but it was on a button available only on the full version=).

19. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I did provide a button for the full version and an intro screen that spoke about the lite version. Feel free to download 'vipValet Lite' (link is in my sig) so you can see what I did.

I didn't have any issues with approval beside it taking a while.

20. rdklein

Apr 3, 2009
    Munich
    Oh yes I will have a look (by the way - I bought of course the full version some days ago as I like those games also very much)
    maybe the problem is to have buttons leading to non functions like pressing email and not getting a email instead a message, that seems to be against the uI guides, a button leading to a web page is more clear to the user,
    I will add a button also.
    Intro screen sounds also good.