Porting to Android, should I do both Google Play and Amazon Store?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RaindropGames, May 20, 2014.

1. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

We have a game for iOS (been out since Oct 2012) and finally decided to port to other platforms. We used Unity so the port is essentially updating our GUI to auto-adjust regardless of screen resolution. (Yes, I realize this would have been smart the first time we built the GUI!). We will also be refreshing the 3D art, adding particle effects, etc so it doesn't look outdated.

Our game is paid and I have no desire to switch to F2P because I don't want to revamp the game and I find waiting mechanics contrived. I also don't like ads because I don't like breaking immersion and most of what I hear is ads barely make money unless you have a very high volume of downloads. We're currently making between $25-$50 per month (at the $.99 price point) and over the life of the game we've sold a little under 2000 copies (all at $.99).

I'm not sure if the Google Play store is worth bothering with. From what I understand, people don't spend much money on paid apps and they will pirate them instead. Amazon's store, on the other hand, has no problem with people spending money but a much smaller customer base.

Is this information outdated or am I correct?

Thanks!

2. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    There's not really any way to tell, other than trying it. For example, my rally game Get Gravel by far outperforms iOS in the Google Play Store. Amazon I have not found to be worthwhile... I had a game featured as the free app once and that meant I made a few hundred bucks the next day but other than that I make next to nothing on Amazon.

Unity makes it pretty easy, so you might as well deploy to as many stores as you can ;)

3. RaindropGames

Yeah, makes sense. The main reason I hesitate is I've heard the number of support requests for Android are significantly higher than iOS. I guess I'll have to find out for myself.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    So that is a should you port or not question. If you don't want too many users you shouldn't be making games lol

5. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    If you build an Android version, then you should release it on both stores.
    I'm making 4 to 5 times more on Amazon store (more casual oriented) but I'm still very happy to make earning on Play too.

No idea where this is coming from: "the number of support requests for Android are significantly higher than iOS.". This must be some kind of urban legend :)

JC

6. RaindropGames

Heh, I think you misunderstand my concern. Since piracy is high on Android, I'm not sure most of my support efforts would go to paying customers and I have limited time for my game business as it is. Other than than I don't care about piracy, I highly doubt most of them would have purchased if piracy wasn't an option.

7. RaindropGames

Yeah, I'll go for both. The quote came from speaking with mobile developers at the GDC. Obviously only spoke to a small number of people (rather than this being a large poll) but all agreed with that statement and they were speaking from personal experience. <shrug>.

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Piracy is high on all App Stores, not just Android (remember battle dungeon?). Piracy should not be a deciding factor on whether or not you port. Accessibility, the games virility and (if you're paying developers) the cost can be deciding factors, but piracy not.

9. Crichton333

Crichton333 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Game developer
    Be sure to do Play and Amazon, I also get awesome numbers on SlideME.

10. plicatibu

plicatibu Member

May 3, 2012
    Developer
    Brazil
    Hi.

I don't know how is Apple's users mentality but Android users don't like to buy games.

Also, there are too much piracy of paid games.

It's much better to release a free app with ads and/or in-app purchase.

I have a bunch of games and unfortunately up to now I made peanuts :(

Amazon (at least for me) performs much worst than Google Play.

As a fellow stated, you need to release your games to see how it will perform for you.

Good luck.

11. RaindropGames

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the feedback.

Also, thanks for the SlideME suggestion, never heard of that one.