iPhone Reiner Knizia Medici boardgame

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mrbass, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

Medici should be out soon. Will have AI players and hotseat support to. I believe 3 to 6 players (not sure about this 100%).

Here is description from bgg

Developer mentioned (July 17th) this should be submitted soon to app store so I'm guessing early August. Also I'm guessing late August Ra (best auction game ever) will be coming out.

2. Beezle

Beezle Active Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Nice! This is one of my favorite Knizia board games.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    "Best auction game ever" should be Power Grid.

4. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    No, Power Grid isn't just an auction game. Great game, but there are many other elements. The auction is just to get power plants. There are many other great games, such as Princes of Florence, that also use auctions but don't have the auction as the only mechanic.

Ra and Medici, on the other hand, are nothing but a series of auctions. Ra places first for me as well for best auction game with Traumfabrik, also by Reiner Knizia, being a close second.

5. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    This looks great. I can't wait to add it to my Knizia folder.

Any idea whether it will be Ipad only? Or perhaps universal?

6. ok I mispoke...hehe. Well yes I love Power Grid too have Italy/France expansion and it's a huge favorite especially when got six people. I love Imperial too. But I've played Ra since 2005 and it gets ton of gameplay. But when I can get people up for a 2 to 3 hour game of Power Grid we have a blast. Also Hollywood Blockbuster I spent like a whole day cutting out and pasting Disney movies on back of those cards and also real movie versions due to licensing issues.

I believe it's coming out iPad and then they'll work on iphone version and networking. Here is original post so you can figure it out. So I believe it'll be universal but I'm totally guessing though.

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, a large part of the strategy in Ra is deciding when to draw a tile and when not to. There's also the use of the Gods, although that is a lesser point.

8. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I've always just found Power Grid over rated. Everyone in my regular game group thought so too, and I ended up actually selling my copy. Imperial on the other hand is just an awesome game, and one of my favorites. Would love to see someone scoop the rights and put it out on the iPad. That would be an insta-buy for me.

9. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    But even using god tiles is within the context of an auction - use the god tile rather than wait for an auction. And, when you use that god tile you are changing the value of starting an auction for other players and whether or not they want to bid on it. And deciding whether or not to draw a tile is also deciding whether or not to start an auction. My point is that everything in the game revolves around the auctions. That isn't true in Power Grid. The auction is just one part of a game turn.

Now, we could start arguing little details about Ra such as the fact that drawing a tile isn't actually an auction. Neither is counting the score, etc. If we get down to that level though, nothing could be considered an auction game. But I still maintain that the game is basically an auction game. Power Grid, Princes of Florence, etc. are games that happen to have auctions as one part of the game rather than as the entire driving mechanism of the game. That is what I see as the distinction. Otherwise there are a huge number of auction games out there. And oh yeah, any game with dice in the game would suddenly become dice games. And if it uses cards then it is a card game, so maybe Power Grid is actually a card game since the power plants are cards? ;)

10. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I maintain that Power Grid is basically an auction game. But it's ok if you disagree.

11. FlyinWhee

FlyinWhee Member

May 11, 2009
    No matter how you dress it up, Power Grid is an auction game. A very clever one, but still an auction game.

Anyway, back on topic: quality board games are always welcome on the iPad, will keep an eye out for this one.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Who's doing this? Are they devs that have been involved in any other known projects in the AppStore?

While not ever a true indication of anything, I always feel a little safer snagging an app if I know the devs pedigree. I mean, sure, I already know the game being ported over to the iPad is from the amazing Dr. K, but if it is being done by developers that so far have only made a Card Matching game and maybe a Justin Bieber Fan app, I'd be a little nervous in grabbing it first day.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I believe it's done by Codito the devs of Yardmaster and iXylophone

They scored the rights to make a lot of RK games so hopefully they take lots of care with their games as one terrible port might mean they lose out on sales for their next titles

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hmmm. Actually Yardmaster looks kind of fun, I'll at least give the lite version a spin. Just going by nothing more than the two previous products there I'd deem them more than competent but nothing super amazing (perhaps the screenshots weren't doing Yardmaster justice as I know of a number of games that still frames just don't capture the game's essence that well).

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL