Can You Help: Port a PC Game to iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by JoeyLP, Nov 25, 2010.

1. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Hey.

Some friends of mine have created a PC game (custom built engine etc.) and they were wondering if it is possible for them to get it ported onto the iPhone (and iPod Touch).
    The only thing is they would sell it for free, and therefore would like it ported for free...(it's being done for fun, and not for actually being sold.) That could be a put off, but they are still willing to ask if anyone is nice enough to do so.
    If anyone can help me, I will be able get any other information you need.

I really hope someone can help.
    Thanks.

2. teamskyfort

teamskyfort Active Member

Oct 13, 2010
    and the original PC game being?
    I guess it would be helpful with some info about the PC version.

3. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    The original game is a platformer.

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Seriously, this is a LOT of work. It is very unlikely this project reach completion. This is why:

You'll need an experienced programmer, and these people won't do it for free to please your friends (sorry). So, I'm guess that you might find an hobbist that is willing to start the work. Guess what, after few week-ends working on it, he will drops the project when realizing the amount of works that need to be invested.

Sorry, just needed to tell you the reality.

JC

5. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Thanks for your information. I understand why it would seem to hard.
    Thanks.

6. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Well, it's not THAT hard, at least not for a developer. That's what we do for a living. The point about compensation is correct though: people don't do ANYTHING without some form of mental or physical compensation.

I think your best bet is to seek out a developer who is a fan of the type of game and wants to get it made, wants to be a part of the project. That works for psychological compensation. Monetarily speaking even though the PC game is free, there are ways to monetize on the iPhone without seeming to be greedy (eg. most people don't mind paying a dollar for the luxury of having a game they like ON their phone; also there is advertising or in-app purchasing to consider.

Anyway good luck!

7. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    If they are planning to give it away, consider putting the code under an open source license (not GPL, as they are incompatible with the App Store), then release the code. It may be picked up by people willing to port and improve it. Also, $1 is not unreasonable for the work that goes into a good port.