iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    And here I thought you woke up at the start of every month telling yourself to spend more on iOS games than you've ever spent before. :D

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Never...

[​IMG]

...I swear. ;)

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The ironic thing is that the original game was only a middling success (about 200,000 sold internationally); a successful iOS version will make it much more likely that we'll see a sequel. But fanboys will not let logic get in the way of their rage :rolleyes:

4. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    You're misinterpreting the hate. The game has been out for 5 years, and a countdown usually spells a lot more than an ios port.

Square Enix built a lot of hype to disappoint long time fans with a simple port.

Not only that, but the port completely changes the two screen battle system that made it so great in the first place.

They're simplifying the gameplay, putting it on a completely different device, and overhyped fans.

The dislikes are expected.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Maybe I didn't follow everything properly but wasn't the "hype" built entirely in the imagination of TWEWY fans? I mean, Squeenix's involvement from what I saw really only amounted to a countdown and some other vague teaser stuff.

6. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    What? While the game's sales were lackluster, it sold over 200k in Japan alone.

7. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    That's what hype and teasers are suppose to do? Not seeing your point.

8. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    So SE had nothing to do with this except for teasing and creating a countdown? Erm, yeah ok, because that's not exactly the kind of thing that build hype for sequels.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Getting upset over something you imagined happening that Square never said was happening is silly.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    So guys. If you own an iPhone and an iPad and posted on "Would you buy a 39.99$ game?" positively, now's your chance to redeem yourself. :) 18+20.

11. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I bought the game on import and in English. Completed it twice in a language I didn't understand and on the UK release, and scratched the hell out of my DS screen protector in the process. It's one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I'd love to be able to play a sequel. I'm also pretty sure most casual Final Fantasy fans wouldn't have a clue what it is (and they represent the majority of Square Enix's paying audience - there's a reason FFIII is racking up the downloads on Android despite market comments screaming about developer greed for anything at that price point). It is not a huge or well-known IP. It was not an immense, world-wide success and outside a core gaming audience it has largely been forgotten. The hardcore fans who keep the flame alive by reminiscing about it on message boards are the kind of people who are apt to go nuts the moment the possibility of a sequel is even brought up, regardless of the fact Square Enix do not owe them one, and have no good indication developing one would turn a substantial profit.

12. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    You should disable the ratings on the video to Sanuku like the launch trailer, seems that a lot of people really hate that port.

13. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    Totally this. A new IP on the DS, that turned to be one of the best RPGS on that device. (Ignore sales, it was a new IP, with a different type of combat) And what do they do, they "port" it over to a iOS, removing the Main oart of the game that was the battle system. After this long, and the inclusion of characters in the latest KH game, you'd expect them to at least give us "remake" on the 3DS. But it wasnt even that.

Was hoping for this to come back with a sequel after all this time. If they can make 100000000000 FF games, i dont see why the Nintendo handheld community could at least get to keep something on their side.

/End Rant.

14. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Unfortunately that's not how business works. :rolleyes:

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm totally gassed they redid the art at least, with how mediocre TWEWY sold it seemed pretty clear that it wouldn't get a sequel and I was expecting a total minimal-effort port with a high price tag. TWEWY's commercial failure (if you even want to call it that, "failure" might be a bit severe) seems to be the same sad problem the rest of the video game industry seems to have in that people won't buy new IP regardless of how cool it is (i.e. how badly Child of Eden bombed) but will throw $60 at anything with "Call of Duty" or "Final Fantasy" on the box.

If you guys want to be mad at anyone here, but mad at the people who buy the yearly iterations of Madden and similar franchises instead of supporting fresh IP. Square is just trying to keep their lights on like every other studio out there these days.

16. Goli

Goli New Member

Aug 26, 2012
    So um do we know if this works on 4th gen iTouchs or not ):?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You are right -- just checked again. It sold about 180,00 in the rest of the world. Still, it's nowhere near the top 50 best selling DS titles an compared to the big guns, it was more of a cult hit than anything else. There is a reason why SE has not even considered a sequel in 5 years.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Pretty sad, considering everyone who played TWEWY thought it was incredible. I wonder how it would've sold if everything about it was identical except the title was "Final Fantasy: Pin Battles" or something.

19. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    And yet its been hinted at that there is one coming, with the appearence of characters in the KH game.

Anyway, what im worried about the most is the combat. It needs the precision of the Stylus to play well, having a big finger blocking the screen where the combat happens wont do.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #100 squarezero, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    The battle system is what kept many people (including me) from enjoying the game. Now I'm really looking to this hitting the US.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood -- seems like the battle system hasn't changed.