Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: Do you like the ZX Spectrum style?
I love it! 9 37.50%
I like it. 6 25.00%
Not bothered. 3 12.50%
Don't like it. 4 16.67%
I hate it!! 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 AM

I'm 33 & from the US but just recently discovered the Spectrum thanks to importing copies of Retro Gamer. I think the visual style is incredible, especially all the dithering & color flashing you find in games like Myth & Rex. An absolutely gorgeous experience.

I've been creating a masterful collection importing games into Spectaculator. I'm really hoping to get my hands on one of those Elite Systems keyboards since they've gotten their legal problems sorted out, but I think the official app is still pulled :/
Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Personally I adore the old-school C64, ZX graphics and all, but I think that's because of nostalgia and because I was around when Top Gun the movie was released in '86 We should ask some 13 year olds what they think about it. Seems like there are only veterans commenting in this thread
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I agree i've seen some youngsters play Speccy games and think it looks terrible. For its time and just 48k its amazing what they did back then

Again its down to gameplay, i saw an old post of mine which i still agree with now, i would rather have a 20 meg playable game than some 500 meg game with nice graphics but poor controls etc.

Of course theres nostalgia but basically the games are good fun, same for classic arcade games from the 80's. Just very playable, playability doesnt age
Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Of course theres nostalgia but basically the games are good fun, same for classic arcade games from the 80's. Just very playable, playability doesnt age
That is absolutely true.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:52 AM

I tend to draw the line at Amiga quality, that's when you could begin to see personal art styles develop. Before that, a lot of it was up to the imagination.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:13 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
I tend to draw the line at Amiga quality, that's when you could begin to see personal art styles develop. Before that, a lot of it was up to the imagination.
Nah. Even back on the Spectrum you could see the distinct visual styles of Matthew Smith, Jon Ritman (or at least the artist he worked with - can't remember the name), Costa Panayi, Stephen Crow, Raffaele Cecco, Ultimate, Bo Jangeborg and others.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM

I like it if it's done well, the developer Quantum Sheep is a perfect example of great ZX Spectrum graphics
Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
Nah. Even back on the Spectrum you could see the distinct visual styles of Matthew Smith, Jon Ritman (or at least the artist he worked with - can't remember the name), Costa Panayi, Stephen Crow, Raffaele Cecco, Ultimate, Bo Jangeborg and others.
Screenshot them for comparison, post them and I'd be happy to have my mind changed.