Do you think Rovio should create a new version of Darkest Fear for iPhone?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RovioMobile, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should we make Darkest Fear for iPhone?

1. Yes

90.5%
  2. No

9.5%
  1. RovioMobile

RovioMobile Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
  2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Enh, how about another deep puzzler in the vein of Totomi!? ;)

3. ConraDargo

ConraDargo Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Totally! I've played the first one and it was really well made - one of the best games there is on the platform. The Iphone and Touch community would definitively benefit from having this series ported.

4. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    I just spotted a game on wiiware called Lit and it's a complete rip off of Darkest Fear. Not happy.

5. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Thought the triology was the end of it? Are you going to remake it?
    What about War Diary? That series can be expanded.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Remake the game and be done with it. Aim for at least iDracula's graphics and animation. Puzzles and pathfinding need an update too. Story seems really good.

7. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    We've been receiving alot of feedback asking for more Darkest Fear. It would most likely be in 3d and it would use some features of the old games but a new story line. The war Diary series was not as successful as Darkest Fear so new titles for it haven't been discussed as of yet, but you never know. We're currently working on a game for the Nokia N-Gage after that projects complete we'll start developing some new titles for the iPhone.

8. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Whoops, I clicked on the wrong button for the poll. It should be a yes not a no.

I haven't played Darkest Fear before but I am interested in it! The idea and storyline does look interesting.

I realize it would take quite a lot of resources though to rework the engine and graphics. The problem is that gamers for the iPhone/touch have an expectation for the experience to be optimized for the device and not a straight port.

9. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    A straight port of Darkest fear to iphone would probably look like S*#t aswell. Old java graphics can't be compared to the possible iPhones graphics.

10. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I enjoyed the Darkest Fear trilogy on my old Razr and would love to see an iPhone version for sure!

11. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    I never played the old version, but the video looks fun. I'd get it.

Edit: I don't think this is in the right section.

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    True, but if you're not remaking the earlier games, and instead giving a brand new iTouch/Phone experience not tied into the older games, then I think you should port the older games at a later time with slightly upgraded graphics (higher resolution sprites).

Just price the older versions in the $1.99 range, with the new iTouch/Phone specific version priced on the higher end (say, $4.99 - 7.99). That way you have product "at the ready" to meet demand for "more" once gamers are through with the iTouch/Phone specific version. Or you could release slightly upgraded ports of the older versions to generate revenue while working on the new iTouch/Phone specific game.

Think of it like Capcom with the RE series. Yeah, they developed CODE Veronica on and for Dreamcast specifically...but they also ported RE2 and 3 (the PC versions to DC). And on Gamecube they specifically developed REmake...but they also ported...RE2 and 3 (again)...and RE: CODE - Veronica.

You get the picture. There are always going to be those that never experienced the older games (like me) who would be willing to pay even for slightly upgraded ports of good games.

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, to be fair, I remember the "stay in the light to protect against monsters" and "light hurts monsters" mechanic being in Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. Not to the extent that's apparently in Darkest Fear and now Lit, but it was there.

Y'know...when you get down to it, you can't make an action/adventure horror game (so-called "survival horror") without some influence from AitD games creeping in.

then again, the first "survival horror" game was really Haunted House back on the Atari 2600, and the whole "stay in the light" mechanic was there as well.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Only do this game in 3D IF you truly believe you can render such a vast scope in GREAT LOOKING 3d. It would kill the game if you tried to do things in 3D and it ended up looking blocky and ugly. Don't do 3D for the sake of it.

If you can't do this, it would be in the game's best interest if you did great looking 2D art for it.

Example of great 3D art iPhone games: Vampire Origin, Real Racing, 2XL Supercross, RealMaze3D, iDracula (characters are 3D). 3D in Hero of Sparta is blocky and NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Example of great 2D art in iPhone games: 1112, Zenonia, iDracula (stages are 2D). 2D in Trapped: Infection, TapDefense is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

15. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    It's good to here you liked it so much. It seems like everytime i ask sites to review Totomi for me they all say i remember Rovio mobile i loved Darkest Fear. I'm really pushing for a new darkest fear to be made :D

16. I have heard of this game but I have never played it as of yet. I am highly interested in this title and would love to see it carried over to the iPhone.

17. RovioMobile

Apr 22, 2009
    Marketing Manager
    Helsinki Finland
    I've almost convinced the boss that a new Darkest Fear is need. Please keep on voting and you just might help me push the idea through.

Also any feedback about ideas for features that players would like to see in a new Darkest Fear game would be much appreciated.

18. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #18 Karuko, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    Shame about War Diary, I quite liked Crusaders and Torpedo was top notch. These strategy games work well in the App store.

If the new Darkest Fear is a new entry and no direct port, I'd be all over it. Have Grim Oak open world like in DF2, and the two switchable characters feature from DF3 appearing in the middle-end of the game. Some nice 2D graphics with excellent animations and ability to free roam (instead of moving by squares). And don't forget those Easter eggs mini-games. Finally, get the lighting effects down perfect, but that's no problem for Rovio!

19. ttursas

ttursas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Male
    Senior game programmer
    Vantaa, Finland
    Hehehe, you can thank me for the minigames in the Darkest Fear series. At the time I worked at Rovio I worked on DF2 and DF3 and designed and wrote the minigames mostly on my free time. ;)

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    So what's up? What did bossman say?