Big Fish Games - favorite puzzle/adventure?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bunger, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Not an iPad owner but after seeing many hidden objects games coming out just for the iPad I'm very tempted to get one in the future. I've got just about every Big Fish hog available (and many others) for the Touch but keep thinking it'd be great to use something bigger to play on. Pricing is the killer though, but after reading these post I'm back to thinking of it.

2. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    If you are using an iPad, you should definitely buy the HD edition even though it is cheaper to get the iPhone version. The older Big Fish games look beautiful on the iPad thereby making it possible to get the iPhone version. The newer ones, however, look blurry when you try to zoom in. I noticed this with Big City Adventure: New York. When playing this game, I just use a magnifying glass when I need to zoom in. It's a pain but I'm not going to spend $6.99 when I've already paid for the iPhone version. Next time, I will just get the HD version.

3. DavidGQ

DavidGQ Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials is probably the best one I played so far. I dabbed a little with Drawn. Will need to finish it. Other games were decent. Still have a lot more to go.

4. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Another game of this type which deserves mention is Kuros. I really enjoyed playing it on the PC and would purchase for iPad if it ever goes on sale. It's only $4.99, but since I've already played it, I can wait for a sale.

5. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I just played my first game in this category (Haunted Manor HD) and I'm interested in others that are considered to be the leaders of the genre. This thread is very helpful in that regard.

6. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    Definitely check out Midnight Mysteries - Salem Witch Trials. The graphics are gorgeous and it is almost as good as the Haunted Manor title.

7. joehunt

Sep 28, 2008
    Secret Mission: The Forgotten Island was released today by Big Fish with full game unlock on sale for 99 cents for both iPad and iPhone (good until May 8). This game got pretty good reviews on Big Fish's site, so I've purchased it. I hope to have time to play it this weekend :)

8. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    I just got Secret Mission today for iPod and am liking the hidden object bit so far, but unfortunately the "adventuring" part is a bit lame. Well worth .99, though.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm downloading Secret Mission now. Will check it out later. I like the IAP model for games, especially like this. Try before you buy *and* continue from where you left off once you decide to buy - no separate "Lite" version.

10. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    Thanks for the tip - will check it out tonight. Who is the developer behind Secret Mission?

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm not sure if it's a hidden picture game - I don't think it is - but it declares itself as an adventure game. Anyway, Destination: Treasure Island has gone free! I'm going to download it tonight. I already "purchased" it but won't really get to download it until later.

http://appshopper.com/games/destination-treasure-island

It's a darned big game. I mean the file size. So plan accordingly.

12. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Agree with the hit and miss point. Usually I'll take a look at the reviews for Big Fish games and most are either all 5 stars or not. Fairly straight forward if a hog works or not. Hidden In Time: Mirror Mirror comes to mind. But tried the lite (for Touch) and no probs so wondering if I should get it now. Anyone play this on your iPad, if so how'd it play?

13. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    All Big Fish games at 99c now.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Great sale. Had some, at the price, getting all the iPad games. Might be one that's not great but at the price it's hard to beat.

15. joehunt

Sep 28, 2008
    Fabulous sale! Picked up the only one I wanted but didn't already have - Empress of the Deep :D

16. grant666uk

grant666uk Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    forklift driver
    Scotland
    Just bought eight. What the hell 59p !

17. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Yup, I was so excited when I saw this! Am playing Puppetshow: Mystery of Joyville right now.

I am going to get all of the ones I don't have. Any tips on which ones I should buy for iPod, versus which ones are best on the iPad's big screen?

18. joehunt

Sep 28, 2008
    All the hidden object/adventure games are much better on a larger screen. I tried a few HOG's on my iPod, but too much scrolling and zooming for my taste.

The ones I did play and really liked on iPod (no iPad version) were other genres: Atlantis Sky Patrol and Rainbow Web.

19. bunger

bunger Active Member

May 26, 2010
    Excellent find - just picked up Buckingham Palace and Nick Chase - about the only 2 I hadn't yet bought. I wasn't sure if I would really like them, but you can't hardly go wrong for $.99. I also bought the full version of Secret Missions for the same sale price!

Also... apparently Treasure Seekers 2: The Enchanted Canvases has been released by G5. I have the free version of the first one, but haven't played it yet. This second installment looks promising!

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I bought a whole bunch of the Big Fish Games for 99 cents. Great deal! I picked up:

Secret Mission - The Forgotten Island HD, Big City Adventure: New York City HD, Haunted Manor ~ Lord of Mirrors HD, Drawn: The Painted Tower HD, Amazon: Hidden Expedition HD and Puppet Show: Mystery of Joyville HD. I should be set for hidden object games for a while. I also gifted Haunted Manor to my Mom. I'd gift her more of them but she recently complained that I was sending her too many games and she was spending too much time on them. :)