Year Walk Riddle Decoders Club - Deciphering Simogo's Next Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Wicked8146, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #21 Wicked8146, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    Awesome work Eoghann! Looks like it is only a matter of time now. Good digging. Here is yesterday's image entitled "palehorse", with the number 4 built into the back leg:

[​IMG]

Here is the #3 pic that says "innocent":

[​IMG]

And Lakewary.com now says "3" with a revised animated gif entitled 7of9.gif.

[​IMG]

2. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    #22 Eoghann, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    There are so many works out there that mention the Pale Horse; novels, films, music etc.

But I think they're referencing the source material, the Book of Revelation.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him...."

And that last gif definitely seems to point out that Year Walk will be the word revealed in the end, judging by the order in which they have begun blinking. Only L and K are left. Wonder if that will be the title of the game.

Death, temptresses, innocence(children?), goats (Satan?)...damn if all these are actual themes in their upcoming game, it's an overload of awesome that I doubt I'll be able to handle. xD

I also wonder if this game will have dealings with the occult theme, with the devil, birth and death, spirits, mystery, mythology, etc. Then again, I might be getting ahead of myself. Might be reading too much into this.

But Halloween will be upon us soon, said theme would fit quite well for an October release. Assuming Year Walk is the actual title (We walk the streets once a year during Halloween collecting candy and treats).

And going back to this quote:
    "Certain nights are not meant for us, Tonight is meant for them"...

...it is tradition to believe the spirits (the watchers?) walk the Earth on All Hallows Eve.

I'll be blown away if this be the theme (not a goofy Halloweeny theme, but a dark and mysterious setting like Dark Meadow). Simogo is all about exploring new boundaries, themes and gameplay mechanics with their games, so I'm extremely excited to find out what they have come up with!

The intrigue is enormous and these hints are killing me! Haha

3. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Here is the "2" image labelled "parasite".

[​IMG]

And 8of9.gif

[​IMG]

This means the goat image will be the final image tomorrow with the announcement on Wednesday.

4. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #24 Wicked8146, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Despite the image saying "1", Simogo has been implying that the announcement may actually come today. Yesterday their twitter account said "Big day tomorrow." and on FB, they posted this comment:

[​IMG]
    Looks like today could be the day. I'll keep my eyes open for anything.

Here is the "Gatekeeper" image:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #25 Wicked8146, Sep 4, 2012
  6. AnnaTheRed

AnnaTheRed New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Plushsmith at the Behemoth
    San Diego
    #26 AnnaTheRed, Sep 4, 2012
    As promised!

Here's a screenshot of the text from the trailer.

Let's all get super excited about Year Walk!

[​IMG]

EDIT: Here's a link to the same image on my flickr. You can see the higher resolution image there.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/annathered/7932248706/

7. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Awesome. Thanks for posting that. I read through it. It only gets me more excited. I think the clues may be over. We now just wait for the first video footage. It sounds like a very unique game. I wonder if there will be blood. I think that would be cool. I am interested to see how the Watchers play into it and how "she sings and I shall follow" is entwined in the gameplay. I'll post again here if there are any updates.

Follow all things Simogo here:

https://twitter.com/simogogames
    https://www.facebook.com/simogogames
    http://simogo.com/blog/

8. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Simogo just tweeted:

‏@simogogames
    Remember our "Lost & Found" video? We hid some of the first Year Walk tests in there. Can you guess which clip it is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJFOr3mRMk

It is this bit around the :17 mark. Confirmed via a follow up tweet.

[​IMG]

9. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Simogo posted an image of Year Walk in their "Games" section alongside Kosmospin, Bumpy Road and Beat Sneak Bandit. However, it contains a weird little question mark image in the corner. No matter where you click it goes to the same place so it is unclear what this means.

[​IMG]

10. Sharontung66

Sharontung66 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Inre: latest video update 10/31

These Simogo devs are really on the cutting edge of IOS gaming. "Year Walk" is not an exception. I can't wait. I'm a fan.

Simply brilliant! And appropriately creepy!

11. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #31 Wicked8146, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    Well, well, well. Here comes Simogo with some more teasing. They just posted this little rhyme on their FB page:

A moving card in snowy season,
    Every clip is there for a reason,
    Mysteries hidden in every frame,
    You might already be playing the game.

It is reference to their Year Walk Christmas video they just produced:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XbZWoRveHKs

Breakdown of the video:

0:00 - 0:18 - Image of the house with snow falling.
    0:19 - Quick flash of a forest from inside a car driving by.
    0:23 - Close up of the house overlayed with real world video of trees
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    0:26 - Image of a drawing of a not yet seen before face, followed by an image of an angel looking character
    0:28 - A zoom in of more real forest overlaying the house
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    0:31 - 0:32 - The house from a different angle, overlayed with some more real world trees. A suspicious upside down V in the lower right corner. The image of the house turns negative and then the wireframe of the house appears.
    [​IMG]
    0:33 - Mysterious person with a goat-head key appears.
    [​IMG]
    0:34 - Text from the plot of the story
    [​IMG]
    0:35 - Unexplained image of creepy animal - one frame
    0:36 - More real-life image of trees
    0:37 - Real life image of a fence
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    0:40 - Image of what appears to be an iPhone 5 with the girl character and text underneath that says "Skogsraet " and underneath that it says "The Huldra". The next frame is an image of a phone interface. Skogsraet means "Wood Nymph" and Huldra is a seductive forest creature.
    0:42 - Real life footage of a windmill
    0:45 - Picture of the ominous farm house, in color! Red!
    [​IMG]
    0:48 - 0:52 Ending with release date as 2013 but it also flashes on a few other years which may or may not be significant. 1872, 2004, 1746 Final image is of the now familiar goat character.

So what are they getting at here? Hard to tell. Looks like the images with the cell phone, the goat key and of course the house are all in-game. It's hard to speculate without knowing more or what we are looking for but the rhyme above does imply that we're already looking at the game so that's why I think those scenes are in-game footage.

12. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Well if it isn't the master detective; ready to unveil the many clues in Simogo's intricate web of mystery...:p

13. Ninjagorilla

Ninjagorilla Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Awesome digging. Not sure you found everything.

14. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    Great work Wicked! Very thorough! I'll try to be of help later tonight after class (been studying for a midterm).

From what I can tell (I'm on my phone so I can't do much) but the creepy animal on :35 looks like a close up of a goat to me.

15. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    #35 Eoghann, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Got my hands on some iphone video editing software! Couldn't wait till I got home (10 hours from now). Haha

EDIT: Just got home and managed to take a closer look at the video. But for starters, here are a few images from the Announcement Trailer (anybody know how to translate runes? They look like Scandinavian runes.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANd for the latest, some screenshots!

0:23 - strange squiggly lines on a reddish background, might be words.
    [​IMG]

0:28 - creepy cabin
    [​IMG]

Goat?
    [​IMG]

0:34.21 - large letter "E" to left of house.
    [​IMG]

0:37 - large letter "P" to right of house
    [​IMG]

0:38.64 - Looks like an upside down lowercase "T"
    [​IMG]

Call me crazy, but that highlighted part of the windmill looks a LOT like the letter "I"
    [​IMG]

Closeup:
    [​IMG]

And it seems to me that's a small girl at the right side of the window (I'm probably just going insane from looking at the video frame by frame!):

[​IMG]

Closeup:
    [​IMG]

A sneaky "R" on the bottom left:
    [​IMG]

0:45.08 - large letter "d" or "p" on the right side
    [​IMG]

Those are the letters I've found, dunno if I missed any. But working with those:

E-P-T-I-R-D

A full anagram gives me:

Redipt: To immerse briefly into a liquid

Trepid:
    adj - Timid by nature or revealing timidity
    adj - Filled with apprehension
    - Timid; timorous.

Could mean something....could mean nothing at all at this point, considering how some of the letters are flipped. Bs could be Ps or Ds for all I know. But I arranged them in a way that all 6 found letters can be used.

Found more dates I think these might be all of them?: 1746,1872, 1885, 1889, 1922, 2004, 2013. (maybe the dates the Year Walks have taken place in the past?)

Via Twitter:
    (Simogo needs a higher megapixel camera!) :p

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-BJmEPCIAAjHIy.jpg

Pretty sure that's year walk imagery above his head.

Probably just decoration but y'know.

16. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    #36 Eoghann, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Phew!

Welp, that's all I've found for now. :)

Because they've jam packed the video with so much imagery, I tried to focus on the more tangible clues instead of the abstract ones. Coz there were a lot of forest, graveyards, and things like that there, I might have just as well posted every single video frame! :eek:

17. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #37 Wicked8146, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    Great job Eoghann! Good research. Don't forget the V in the scene I found.

V-E-P-T-I-R-D (??)

I don't know. I wish there was another hint of some sort because we found a bunch of really cool stuff but not sure where to go with it. What video editing software did you use? Perhaps I can look a bit deeper as well.

For the fun of it I zoomed in on the pics on their wall, although the resolution is crap.

[​IMG]

The one in the red frame and the one in the black frame on the upper left are definitely from Year Walk. There is one of the cop from BSB as well. I think the one in the white frame in the middle is from Bumpy Road.

I also decided to pull images from all the trailers of all the characters I have found so far (aside from the 5 original b&w characters):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    #38 Eoghann, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    Hey Wicked! Same here, I just told Simogo I LOVE digging into the trailers; but they leave me with more questions than answers! haha

I had a short conversation with Simogo on Twitter and I got this:

So every letter is upside down. But that makes the letter "i"...an exclamation mark?

"v-E-d-t-!-R-d"

Jeez. xD

I need to revise those frames when I get home!

As to the video software, I downloaded the video onto my computer with Internet Download Manager, but you can use any regular YouTube video downloader, they're a dime a dozen.

I then opened it with KMPlayer , paused it and pressed "F" to advance frame by frame on the video. Every press advances it a single frame....so get ready for staring at the screen for quite a bit! ;)

I admit I scanned faster through parts that didn't seem relevant...but that might be where the other letters are hidden. So a more thorough frame by frame analysis might be necessary...

19. Wicked8146

Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #39 Wicked8146, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
    K. I downloaded the video as a flash file and used VLC player to go through each frame (Pause and press E to advance). BTW, that is 1,224 times pressing the letter E I think. I also found only the following letters:

V - E - D - T - R - P

"VED" in Swedish means "firewood". That's the only thing I have so far. I was thinking of words that are close to those letters. Does "trapped" make sense? Maybe reading too much into it. Not sure what this could be a clue for.

BTW, Simogo gave us a shout out in their year end blog. I am also still puzzled by the Year Walk image they have on their main page that makes a question mark appears when you roll over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also looked up "Church Grim" which is in the text in the trailer and got this definition.

20. Ninjagorilla

Ninjagorilla Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Awesome digging, but trp sounds weird... like there's a vowel missing?