Universal Spaceward Ho! (4x Strategy by Ariton Games/Delta Tao)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jaklar, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    If you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

2. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    @ChristopherCotton: I miss the good old dialog box. I can give money or metal to the AI player but I cannot say "sorry" or "##*+!" etc. pp. :)
    Today I played with some AIs and after one of my planets were attacked by an AI player he send me a "sorry" ...

So you should add the "send message" box like it is in the Windows version. There you can select to which player you want to send a message and then you can choose between some predefiened messages ...

If you need I can send you a screenshot from the windows version .... and I think you will have to build it in anyway because for the multiplayer port ... :)

3. skorens

skorens Member

Apr 5, 2012
    I *almost* added the Send Message dialog in one night when I was adding in the Send Money/Metal dialog... But then, sleep beckoned...Maybe in some future version...

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Spaceward Ho Noob Reports

The concept of the game is simple enough (total domination of a galaxy) but like all good games it really does draw you in. Do I mine or teraform a planet, build ships not to build ships, try to make friends or go all in for galatic dominance.
    This game really does suck you in I spent three hours last night devoted trying to conqour the galaxy. I left the AI at the default settings and like you guys said got the basics after about 10 minutes. Made a noob mistake and I have no where near enough tankers for my fleet so now I have stranded ships!! and a hostile enemy closing in.
    I also like the interface which is easy to use, the battle sequances remind me of advance wars and the fact most the planets are named after planets in scifi.
    I've also bookmarked the Spaceward Ho 5 manual in that was linked in this thread for a few more tips.
    On the whole well worth the purchase price here in the UK of £2.99 I can see myself loosing a lot of time to this and a great inroduction to 4X games :D

5. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    thanks a lot for your feedback ... I am glad that you like this great game ...

Hope I will meet you ... when Multiplayer is online ... :D

6. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I'll need a lot more time getting my tactics right before going into the multiplayer games :)
    Anyone know when the online multiplayer will be up and running?

7. christophercotton

christophercotton Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Well I know :) But it isn't for a while yet. We are working to get the iPhone version finished first. Then we will start working on multiplayer. You will know it is coming, since we will ask for people to test it.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've been working my way up the IQ difficulty... and just won at 130. I know it's not too special... but I'm pretty happy about it. Definitely feeling a LOT more comfortable with the game, and REALLY can not wait until Multiplayer is added... though iPhone will also be great. Gonna have to talk a bunch of my iPhone wielding work-buddies into snaggin this... then hopefully get em to battle it out online. =oD

This has definitely surprised me. At first, with how simple it all is on the surface, I didn't expect to get this caught up in it. But it really feels like the simplicity and lack of all the nonsense complex mechanics that can weigh down a THROUGHLY DEEPTHY 4X title with hours of planning and managing (though sometimes that's exactly what I'm itching to play) is where Spaceward Ho! really shines, and sticks out. It's what makes it special. I keep opening up my strategy folders, and 4 outta 5 times, this is what I wind up opening.

Thank you so much for brining this to the iOS, I really feel lucky to be able to finally experience this 20+ year old title! =oD

9. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012

Just updated the way fleets distances are displayed to be readable even on top of other items http://i.imgur.com/cQIo1.png Will be in 1.0.2, which I am going to submit to the AppStore today after releasing it to our testers. Here is the list of items we changed and updated:

• Allow for display of temperatures on planets colder than -99 (before it would display as just “-“)
    • Deselect a Planet if it is already selected when tapped on again
    • When selecting a planet, restart the selection animation at full (makes it not seem jumpy)
    • No longer crash on Large Galaxy (>200 stars) (reported by trinko in iTunes comments)
    • Made the TechBar sliders a little bigger, since many folks were having problems hitting them correctly.
    • Fixed Random Fleet Movement and possible random crashes from using the Organize Fleets dialog. If you had a fleet move to another planet instantly mistakenly, it is fixed.
    • When building ships, if you change ship types it will reset back down to 1 to build. This prevents building 100 colony ships right after building 100 fighters.
    • Allow Built Ships to be renamed
    • Distances between fleet paths now are displayed on top of everything and with a background so you can see them.
    • Fleets have a shadow so they are more visible when conflicting with other items
    • Improved the pinch/zoom of the Galaxy. No more mega small planets (unless you really shrink the galaxy)
    • In build ships dialog, if you run out of ships types and get a “Don’t Cheat” sound. You need to scrap some old ships. (thanks profsheldon for the bug report!) In next version, we will put up a warning and let you scrap old types.

10. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well ... I hope I belong to your test crew ... I have a little time for a new game ... :)

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow! sounds like a great update!

I was playing this morning, and something that's kind of bugging me..

Is there any way to break up the ships when you build them? Sometimes, building more than one ship will group them into a single bunch, and sometimes they will be built separately, so that they can all go in separate directions...

maybe just have a button in the ship building screen to be able to select wether you want the ships to be bundled together, or if you want them to all be separate?

If this would add too much to the simplicity, I'll totally understand... and just keep building the ships that are grouped together one at a time...

12. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    After building your ships, at a planet select from the menu, "Organize Fleets". This will allow you to split, scrap a single fleet, group, rearrange or whatever or set attributes on the fleet. Until the 1.0.2 update comes out, make sure you deselect any ships before hitting close. This is one of the bugs I fixed.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh, awesome! Thank you for that. I feel kinda stupid... Definitely gonna have to get more acquainted with the menu options. =oP

14. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Well, we are going to be redoing the UI since many people have the same problems you are having. It isn't obvious that it should be there. Hopefully we will have something in the next update to help out with it. Eventually we will get it to where it seems natural.

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    New to this thread. This game did hit a sweet spot of simple, but 4x, back in the day. However, the AI was always retarded, and it therefore got really old. Are there any AI improvements or multiplayer?

16. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    So you really beat the AI on IQ200? Well ... :cool:
    I think I am a good player (I am a pro chess player) and my limit in this game is around IQ180 ... then I win around 50% ....

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I just started a game with IQ 150, and it's pleasantly challenging at the moment. I'm pretty sure 170-180 will be frustratingly challenging for me... And can't imagine completing a game on 200...

18. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Depends on which version of the original you played. The AI was improved quite a bit in the Mac 5.x version, and it is quite difficult. Even more so if you allow the computer players to be allies. If you have specific things you think the computer does dumb, let me know and I'd be happy to determine if it is some bug you have found.

Multiplayer is not out yet, we are working on getting the iPhone version done, and then we will do multiplayer.

19. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Or if you have some good ideas on how to beat the AI, let me know and we can add that as improvements. Mostly I'm coming from not being able to successfully beat the higher level AIs.

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    What kind of handicaps do the "higher level AIs" get?