Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM
iPad mini

@AmuBlu: I'd be happy to discuss, collaborate. I've sent you a PM with my Skype.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:51 PM

Hi Alex,

Welcome to world of app development, quite possibly the most frustrating world you can enter. It will be immensely disappointing in a lot of respects, in most cases you'll feel the person who will most love your app is yourself, and not many else. You'll be very downbeat about download rates on your app, and you'll be irritated by user reviews.

As an example, Flappy bird was in obscurity for months before it eventually picked up. A huge amount of resilience, persistence and luck will play a part in whether your app is a success amongst all the other things, such as really good and consistent marketing.

It's taken me 4 apps and two years to create an app that's done reasonably well, but it's free and I don't make a living from it. I personally just wanted to build something that people would enjoy.

So this is not about being negative, this is about reality. And the reality is that it's VERY hard. For every 1 successful app, there are 30,000 failures. So unless you are prepared to do something serious about making your app succeed, don't enter into it. If someone had told me what it was like before I entered into it, I would not have gone near it.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Best regards
Michael
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Great advise from everyone and I agree, you will need to develop a few games (quick games) to test the market before doing anything lengthy.

For me I do a game and then do contract work for business app to pay for the bills. Getting a good return from a game is hard but not impossible.

I will gladly help you and anyone else in these forums
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
iPad mini

Hmm... bit surprised to hear no more from the OP. But if he still wants to discuss/collaborate, I'd be happy...
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

good luck!
it seams like you have the most important ingredient: passion!
i my self am relatively new to this industry, i come from e-commerce but was dreaming of games!
the first game we made was Footy Tap a very simple game just to learn the app game production pipeline, now we are focusing on Asslay Gore (you can find the Asslay Gore thread on the TA forum) - a real game!
my humble recommendation: game game game ... don't even think about monetization or marketing yet, concentrate in making a great game! your name, your work quality, your professional dignity are more important than any improbable instant success!

all the best, Nadav
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Hello OP!

I'm in the same situation. I'm a game designer for a small team, and we've just recently started to make simple games. Our current goal is to prototype and release them in short periods of time to learn and then move onto bigger projects.

Our first project is still receiving a few finishing touches before being released, so you can see we're pretty inexperienced. If anyone wants to PM me or send their Skype info to chat or just brainstorm, feel free to!

Right now I'm particularly struggling with the whole "think simple and small", as I'm used to working and playing more complex games.