Beta testing experience from an indie

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by madpoet, Jan 17, 2013.

1. madpoet

madpoet Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Digital Artist, Unity3D developer
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm an indie dev working on an iOS air combat game Sky Battles and I wanted to get some honest feedback on my game. So I tried a site called thebetafamily http://thebetafamily.com/
    and was pleasantly surprised. The site is by no means perfect but I found it very easy to upload builds, track installs, and invite testers that were already registered on the site. They also allow devs to rate the beta testers individually which I thought was cool.

The guy who runs the site named Axel gave me some valuable feedback on my game and seems to know his stuff. Based on my previous experience with beta testing Sky Battles, it's not so easy to find testers. Even when you find them, they don't always report and when they do, the info isn't always helpful.

Cheers!

http://magneticstudio.com

2. djskinner

djskinner Well-Known Member

Never heard of it before. Looks really good, thanks for pointing it out. We'll definitely consider this when looking for testers during the development of our next title.

3. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    Thanks for the heads up. We had trouble finding good beta testers too so will definitely check this out for our next game.

4. opsive

opsive Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    That looks like a good site, thanks for letting us know. When you say upload builds, can you still use Test Flight or do they have a completely different system?

5. madpoet

madpoet Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Digital Artist, Unity3D developer
    Toronto, Canada
    You upload an IPA. Test flight is a different system.