Bluebird (Newest Game from NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mew2468, May 25, 2009.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #1 Mew2468, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    Decided to make a thread since I couldn't find one :).

Was submitted on May 21st, so it should be out fairly soon (by Friday?).

[​IMG]

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It's already been submitted. Should be out in about a week and a half.

3. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hmmm... looks interesting, but I think it should have more gameplay elements. And are the black marbles supposed to be bird food or something? lol

4. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I know...I just made a thread :confused:.

I think they're flies...or something...

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    They seem to increase the bluebird's health bar so it better be food ;)

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I didn't mean that as a jab at you Mew.

Just letting the people who don't follow Ian's twitter know it should be out soon

;)

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I can't speak for Ian, but NimbleBit currently has two games in the top ten list of kids apps. If I were him, I'd be writing games like this too. ;)

8. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #8 Mew2468, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    That's fine :). You didn't really "jab at me", I sort of misinterpreted. Let me add that to the OP.

9. theapplegalaxy

theapplegalaxy New Member

May 25, 2009
    awesome

this looks amazing! :) i'll be picking it up :)

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    This looks like it lacks depth. I hope this is like scoops and a skyburger equivalent is in the works, because I have enough of these small simple apps. On the bright side, they are actually using new code instead of making minor edits to the same controls and gameplay (see: scoops, kyper, skyburger. Also, textropolis, and textaurant) I am not trying to hate on Ian/nimblebit, since skyburger has been on my favorites page until today to make room for Zenonia, but they could use some more variety.

11. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Not trying to oppose you in any way, but I think iPhone gaming is all about this kind of pick-up-and-play casual style. Of course, very in-depth games executed well (like Zenonia) are also outstanding on the iPhone platform.

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I really like it. The premise reminds me of scoops where the game is super easy to understand and just play.

Maybe it will get expanded into a deeper game like scoops did with skyburger?

13. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah there's way more casual gamers than hard core gamers on the iPhone. Easy, quick pick-up-and-play games sell very well.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

While I like games with depth as much as the next guy, you know what game has probably clocked the most total playtime on my phone? Doodle Jump.

What do you do in that game?

Jump.

I have no idea if Bluebird is the next Doodle Jump, but simple games you can play for 30 seconds with little or no load time are perfect for standing in line or sitting on the toilet. ;)

15. eliotness

eliotness Active Member

May 25, 2009
    this title looks amazing... :) i like small games!

16. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Are the controls like iCopter? because if it is then I am on board. You know like finger on the screen go up finger off the screen go down

17. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I don't have anything again these kind of games. I bought scoops and skyburger the same day they were released. I completey love skyburger and had some highscores. Bluebird is definitely an interesting game. But I kinda agree with Indyraider4. I feel it lacks a certain something to make the game extra exciting. Basically i like scoops and skyburger more than this game. Not sure why though.

18. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    ians apps are getting a repetitive style!! dont get me wrong still looks cool but just looking for something different..

19. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    The controls are very similar but with a twist. Each tap flaps your wings and pushes you up, while gravity is constantly pulling you down. Tapping to the right or left of the bird pushes it in that direction giving you 2 degrees of freedom.

Each wing flap uses up a certain amount of energy some of which can be reclaimed by eating the flies.

On simplicity:
    The game has about the same complexity as the Papi games, Doodle Jump, and Scoops. The controls do take some practice to really master, being a little more complex than helicopter games.

I love a deep game every once in awhile just as much as any gamer, and I love Sky Burger much more than Scoops. In terms of whether my simpler games are more popular, I'll let the revenue numbers from yesterday speak for themselves (my cut):

Textropolis: $46.39
    Sky Burger: $188.47
    Scoops: $896.46

On code reuse:
    Sky Burger shares around 5% of the Scoops codebase while Kyper shares 0% with any other game. Textaurant does not exist, nor is in development at the moment.

20. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #20 Prab, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    Well, but it's not really fair to compare the three games like that because: they were released at different times, the amount of pick-up-and-play games available at each releasse date, and some people did not pick up skyburger because they think it's the same as scoops.

Edit: I just think it lacks a certain spectacular something. An analogy would be Boxman games. There are a lot, but edge stands out because of edge time. There are a few scoops games since scoops was released but skyburger stands out because it has career mode and u also have to collect combinations of things you catch.

Anyway, we'll see how the reviews go when bluebird is released :) Good luck Ian!! And I totally love your games :D