Reviews??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by OLOtech1, Mar 2, 2010.

1. OLOtech1

OLOtech1 New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Just wondering whats the most successful and fastest way i can get my applications reviewed for more exposure! thank you in advance!

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    First of all, create an app that is worthwhile. This doesn't mean YOU think it is worthwhile; your opinion doesn't matter. Unless you are selling the game only to yourself.

Second, make sure your website and external links are in order. Have a video ready, fantastic screenshots and details on the gameplay. If you don't have this in order you may as well stop here.

Third, write an amazing and interesting press release. Sometimes making the press release personal will get a better response, and this can include over-the-top humor.

Fourth, compile a list of sites that you plan to target. Get at least 20 sites on that list, if you are lucky you will get 2 reviews (10% response rate).

Fifth, submit press release and requests for reviews. DO NOT SEND PROMO CODES until you get a response.

Sixth, sit back and reap the rewards of your less-than-10% response rate. Some games will see higher responses, but don't feel bad if you get between 0-10%. That is pretty much normal.

3. If you are talking about reviews on iTunes you should look into appiRater (not to be confused with appPirater)

If it a bit of code you can plug in to pop up an alert after 10 launches (or whatever), giving the user an option to go directly to the app store review page for the app.

It is reasonably good at getting reviews for your game, assuming you have people playing it in the first place.

I have it in some of my games, set to appear at the game over screen after 10 or 20 games, and I am getting about 35% pressing the button to go to the review page.

You could also give out promo codes, and ask those people to leave a review. I'm not sure what % of people actually leave reviews though.

Shen

4. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    As a reviewer myself I have to go through the task of deciding which games to review and which to not. We get multiple press releases a day, some requesting for a review some giving us a code straight away.

I'm not saying what is the right way to go. If the game has already proven to be successful and is being featured on lots of sites then you can probably give a promo code straight away as it will generally save people requesting it. EA use this way so they don't get 50 people all slowing down their day.

If you are a smaller developer and your game isn't that well known then make us request the code so you can keep track of who has it and who might post a review. A press release that gives a clear description of the game, link to websites, App Store link etc. will get our attention. Giving us no details or links will simply get you in the ignore section immediately.

Also if a reviewer does take a code, you have to be aware that they might not get around to reviewing your title. If after the description and images they decide that the game isn't what they thought it would be it might not get a review. Hampering us with follow up emails asking where your review is will not help you in any way. In some circumstances it will push you down the waiting line or off it altogether.

Just as you are trying to get people to see your app we are trying to get readers onto our site. While some focus on indie games many try to broadcast the best apps available as that is what the majority of people buy. We need viewers as much as the developers to keep running.

The best thing to do is just send out the press release to as many sites as possible and then wait for hopefully replies.

5. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    This is a very helpful post. Thank you for ur insider's info

6. HappyninGames

HappyninGames Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Sainter, your post is quite insightful, thanks!

7. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #7 Austin:], Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    I get many app requests, and I usually review them if the developer is generous and doesn't bother me every day and ask me when the review will be up. I always review apps if they give me a promo code, I sometimes do If they request it without a code I have a few tips.

Make your app free for a day at Freeappaday.com

Post on TouchArcade, EVERYONE IS ON TOUCHARCADE

Give away lots of promocodes

Send any reviewers you know promo codes. So they can spread the word to lots of other people.

Don't bother reviewers about when they will post the review.

When you do get a GOOD review, tweet it on Twitter or post it on Facebook to get more publicity, this seems to help A LOT

8. bobz56

bobz56 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    ok, so i guess i agree with the first point and the last three points, but i'm not sure just giving away codes is that great publicity wise.

9. Austin:]

Feb 22, 2010
    What I mean is giving away promo codes to people as long as they do something good for you in return, such as write a good review on iTunes so that people see it is a good game.

10. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

You can't expect people to write a good review about your game just because you gave them a promo code. If you are giving away promo codes to reviewers then expect an honest review in return, good or bad.

11. Austin:]

Feb 22, 2010
    I guess you are right:p

12. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Point 1: Ahh no. Paying $600 to make your app free and get exposure for it... I haven't seen clear evidence of it helping in the long run

Point 2: No, they are not all on TA

Point 3: A majority of codes go to lurkers who will never post a review

Points 4,5,6 I agree with