Is it just me... (Re-up)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CassieTheChaoticCupcake, Mar 28, 2010.

?

Are you satisfied with the current quality of games being released?

1. Yes. Developers are staying on top of things.

36.6%
  2. No. Developers need to be more efficient.

12.2%
  3. Kindof. Happy with some games but more work is needed.

61.0%
  1. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

...Or do iPhone/iTouch apps really suck as of late?
    I'm rather frugal, but I'm a hound for high-end apps and am constantly looking for some great games to play, but it seems that the ones being released for the past couple of months haven't been up to par. Am I just picky or has the quality decreased?
    If there have been any superb games made in the past few months, please do share. :)
    Tilt to Live is a no from me. I know it will probably be the most common one suggested, but I can't make myself play it. Maybe I'm a sucker for graphics or just looking for something that will last a long time. :p
    Opinions and suggestions are all welcome.

To get an idea of what I actually purchase, here's my current gaming list (in alphabetical order):
    Ace Combat
    Adrenaline Golf
    Adrenaline Pool
    AirCoaster
    Anrufen
    Assassin's Creed (1, 2, and Multi)
    Brothers In Arms
    Bust-A-Move (I love classics!)
    Cogs
    DDR S+
    The Deep Pinball
    Downhill Bowling
    Dungeon Hunter
    Eliminate Pro
    Final Fantasy (1 and 2)
    Finger Physics
    Glyder (1 and 2)
    Graal Online (I favor MMOs)
    Grand Theft Auto
    GT Racing
    Inotia 2
    Labyrinth 2
    Let's Golf
    Low Grav Racer (1 and 2)
    Parcel Panic
    Pocket God (I'm only listing it because I hate it)
    Pool Pro Online
    Quizarium
    Ravensword (Big fan of long-term RPGs)
    Real Racing
    Rhythm Racer
    Rock Band
    Sally's Spa
    Skee Ball
    Speed Forge Extreme (The better version of LGR)
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    Tap Tap Revenge (2 and 3)
    Touch Pets
    Toy Mechanic (The Cogs ripoff)
    Urban Rivals
    We Rule
    Words With Friends
    Zen Bound
    2 Across
    2XL ATV Offroad

Prab closed the old forum, and I contacted him about it. He said it would be fine if I could create a new forum, but we have to stay on topic :p No mention of suggested games to buy and such because it will be closed and moved to "What should I get?", even though that is not the intent of THIS thread. In other words, more complaining about the developers and more discussion (without recommendation) about future games or past games we didn't like. You get the idea.

If you want a look at our previous discussion, here's the closed thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=49655

Continue on, guys! :)

2. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Developers don't exactly need to be more efficient, they just need to make better games.

"but it seems that the ones being released for the past couple of months haven't been up to par. Am I just picky or has the quality decreased?"

A lot of the games that you listed are very good and came out in the last few months: Cogs, Chinatown Wars, GT Racing, and a few others, but I do see what you're getting at.

For me? I'm playing Jet Car Stunts, Minigore update betas and waiting for Mirror's Edge.

3. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    we need a hockey game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stinger table hockey is great but we need NHL 2010

4. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Your first thread was closed for a reason, you know...

5. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    High end apps are good, but im also enjoying the fact that there's an indie community that comes out with unusual and quirky games, ones that dont fall into any category, the gameplay may not be what you were expecting, but theyre fun as heck... if everybody focused on high end apps, the App store would change to reflect the normal video game market, everything would fall into genres and we would LOSE this advantage. And i would weep for the loss. But thats just my opinion... :eek:

6. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

As was stated above :) Prab told me to up a new thread stating conditions.

7. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Don't get me wrong; I love the indie games too! Some of my favorites to play are 5 Minutes to Kill (Yourself), Finger Physics, and Urban Rivals. None of them are exactly top notch like Grand Theft Auto or Real Racing, but they have quality in a different area, and that's their ability to fight away boredom. :)

8. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Looks like you mainly like console quality (Can be refered to as 'generic') games.

Your loss.

9. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    you talk like indie games can never be as fun as high end games.. ive found many indie games i enjoy MORE than high end games. and then theres Gameloft, which makes high end games that dont do much more than chase away boredom, something you say only happens with indie games..

10. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

It's not what I meant. I was pointing out one of my favorite aspects of indie games. It all depends on the player I suppose. Some people favor the long RPG games and some like the simpler games that keep you busy while standing in line. I like a fine mix of both, which indie games typically tend to provide. They have a large variety that I come back to enjoy time after time. I'm not putting them down in any way.
    The purpose of this thread is to point out that most of the recent game releases, indie or not, haven't been as good. I'm sure there's been a defecit from our favorite developers because they're busy working on iPad games, but I'd like to see some of the smaller guys come forth with something worth buying. I dunno about you guys, but I take my money seriously. I'm a highschool student about to head off to college with no job (not allowed). I don't get money very often, so when I decide to invest what I DO have in apps for my iPhone, I make sure they're going to keep me entertained for at least a month. Usually that's through a long-term RPG like Real Racing or Ravensword, or a game that's not quite as publicized like a few of the aforementioned indie games I favor that have high replay value (which I usually play until I burn myself out on them).
    So that being said, it's in my own opinion that apps worth buying have been few and far between lately.

11. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Sounds reasonable... have you ever thought of trying some of the non-lite free games available? Maybe checking on the free-for-a-day offers or getting some promo codes (remember to review) or winning contests? Thats what i do and it saves me a TON of money..

12. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Yeah. :) I'm constantly checking appshopper.com for new free games and price drops. I'm also a member of iphoneapp-promocodes.com so I can nab some promos as well. I'm constantly reviewing stuff so the devs can get some feedback to help them out.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    As an RPG fan, looking at the RPG genre on the iPhone, I was tempted to vote no, but with the release of Zenonia 2 and coming release of Chaos Rings and other decent-looking RPGs coming soon, I voted 'kind of'.

The other games I play are just to pass that 5-10 minutes of spare time I have sometimes, and they do what they're meant to; to pass the time, so no problems there.

14. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I don't play on getting an iPad anytime soon (holding out for a future version) but I really hope Apple makes an iPad game. I still play Apple's version Texas Hold'm to this day and still think it has the best presentation out of all the competitors :)

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    How can you not like Tilt to Live? I mean, seriously, it's like the best casual game on the iPhone yet!

16. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    It seems to me like the indie developers are doing excellent work on their apps compared to the big company apps.

17. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

I could agree or disagree with you there, but it's a matter of preference. Adult Swim's games seem to be flourishing and I know I've enjoyed them as much as an indie-lover could, but I'm still partial to the bigger names like Gameloft and Chillingo. I'm just using examples here, so don't get in a snit thinking I'm trying to drop names. :) It just seems to me that every developer needs to step up their game just a little, iPad arrival horning in or not.

18. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Chillingo is a publisher. For the most part, the games that are published under Chillingo are made by indies. :)

19. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    There haven't been as many "Wow! I need this game now!" type of releases this year, but there have been some good releases nevertheless. Ragdoll Blasters 2 and Tilt to Live are stunning.