Dangerous: Null Space

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by swiftest, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    #1 swiftest, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    Adding the first trailer for the game:

The video shows the player undocking, watching another ship warp off, warping around the solar system, blasting some asteroids for ore, docking, landing planetside and killing various creatures.

Thanks for reading, and let us know what you think! I'll post more videos in the coming weeks.

Linh

2. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    This game has potential and promises something I have been missing in space shooters!

In my opinion You need to pay closer attention to the interface, camera angle, textures quality and accelerometer controls and it is alpha so I don't want to be all-knowing.

Keep it up and don't forget to update us lively!

3. hiptanaka

hiptanaka Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    this looks fantastic. the fact that these types of games are such a rare breed on the app store make this all the more intriguing. its a shame theres a way to go, but it looks like you guys got yourselves a quality product. Keep up the good work, it's coming along really nicely.

4. ahcl20

ahcl20 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    UK
    Wow. Looking forward to more videos.

5. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Your feature list sounds impressive. Is this going to be a single-player only game or do you have plans for online multiplayer game play?

6. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback!

@Jarek: We are definitely planning on improving the UI and controls before release including allowing player selection of control formats. It is a challenge to balance the complexity with simple controls on the small touch screen.

@dansu: We are concentrating on making the single player experience the best it can be, then will consider adding in multiplayer in a later update of some sort. Ultimately, I would love to see the core morph into a MMORPG since the game mechanics will make it a fun hybrid AI & human player experience, but that's a ways out.

I've added some screenshots since the video is blurry at times.

Linh

Attached Files:

7. ahcl20

ahcl20 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    UK
    What sort of gameplay do you plan for the '1st person shooter' part of the game? Is it meant to be mission based?

There are some similarities between your game idea and Star Trek Online, apart from the online bit, of course.

8. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    tis game looks good. I like that it is a deep adventure including space travel, ship battle and on land expeditions. Have to keep an eye on this one.

9. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Looks like a winner so far. Graphics are nice and the mix of 3D space combat and over the shoulder 3rd Person sounds awesome. The only thing that needs to tie it all together is sensible controls and an awesome story.

10. that1techguy

that1techguy Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    this just might be the game i've been waiting for a long time... i saw the stargate reference and freaked add some sg styled characters and some look alike ships (puddle jumper, Daedalus) would love to the warp screen changed a little (look at sgu destiny in ftl). other then that this looks like it on the right track!

11. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    This is a game I've been wanting to play, but haven't found yet on the app store, so I'm glad others feel the same way.

@that1techguy: I'm not up to speed with Stargate references, could you tell me what you mean by "sgu destiny in ftl"? Loved the movie, but never had time to watch the miniseries.

@ahcl20: The third-person shooter aspect will be used during ship boarding encounters, and some quests/missions inside the space stations and on planets.

12. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Your game is Mass Effect of the worldwide AppStore.

It has potential I have never seen in any game because You are making not only advanced space shooter but even TPS with CD elements.

I wish You all the best and tons of patience mixed with endurance because this is what this business is about.

By the way: how did You cope with performance issues? Merging two game genres, actually even two games, into one seem to be hard task for the processor...

BTW, and who says indie devs can't make their dreams come true and do something amazing? This game, Necromancer Rising and upcoming Mission Europa are the best proofs it is possible.

13. that1techguy

that1techguy Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    sgu= stargate universe
    destiny would be the ship in it and the "warp (hyperdrive or what ever you want to all it)" is ftl (faster then light)

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgELNVD40fA
    the ftl is at 45 seconds in the video

14. syntory

syntory Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    how much of this game is going to be third person shooting on the ground, and how much in ships?

15. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Wow. This looks very promising. I will be keeping an eye on this one> I wish you guys the best of luck with it and hope to see it on the appstore some day.

16. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    @that1techguy: Awesome Stargate vids! I love the epic feel of the battles. Will have to check out that series.

@Jarek: Performance is an ongoing concern since we also model the world that happens beyond your immediate surroundings. Other ships really are warping around, mining, fighting, and docking/undocking all around you. We're aiming for immersion and a world that more than feels alive, it is alive. Luckily, we're able to re-use some of the tech from the space side to the planetside/third-person-shooter side. We're developing partitioning & virtual machine technology to help cope with the complexity.

@syntory: The goal is to let the player decide which part of the game he/she'd like to play more. You can board the ship and try to take all prisoners alive, for example, or take your chances by blowing the ship up and scooping up any survivors left in the escape pods.

We're working on the real-time space combat and trying some new ideas that we haven't seen yet with current apps. A bigger ship isn't necessarily better. A small nimble ship in experienced hands can take down a larger foe by using smart tactics. I just got my iPad today, so I'm hoping we can port the existing code over soon and see it on the big screen. :)

17. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Any news on this game? I missed the thread when it was current, and was just wondering if the project was still active.

18. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    #18 swiftest, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    We're getting close to the finish line... I've added our first trailer to the game.

19. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Will there be neutonian physics for space travel/fighting? I loved elite 2 because of that.

Will the transition between planet and space appear to be continual (it looks like you are actually going into the atmosphere) like elite?

If those two are true I will be buying it the second it is released. I have been wanting a space game for the iPad that has those two features.

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The graphics reminds me a lot of Black Space. So how large is the game and will it support RD? Will it be universal too?

Thanks.