Quantum Sheep brings you "Sunshine - Here comes the Sun" - it's pretty groovy! :D

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Oct 10, 2011.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    #1 quantumsheep, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    Hello everyone! :D

I'm getting close(ish) to finishing my latest game, and thought I'd drop in and give you guys a peek!

It's called "Sunshine - Here comes the Sun"

You play as the sun! No, really! I think this is the only game I can think of where you actually play as the Sun.

Which is nice! (though I'm ready to be corrected!).

Quick edit - here's a video!

Here are some screenshots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've gone for a very basic look. One person described the look as that of a kids game.:)eek:)Someone else has said it looks very Nintendo.

I just wanted something fun looking :D

Now, I'll be honest with you. I made this game with someone other than myself in mind, so I'm not sure it'll appeal to the 'hardcore' among you!

BUT

I did put in stuff that would appeal to me too (and hopefully you lot)! So it's got:

A cool score multiplier system.
    A Sun Level (levels up to 10) that increases the speed of your shots and your score.
    Chiptunes from the awesome Yerzmyey and Mister Beep (who I used on Air Supply).
    GameCenter leaderboards for overall score and for each level.
    Retina graphics

If I were to describe it, I'd say it was "Like Missile Command for my mum". Sort of...

:eek:

I'll give some more details out over this last week of development (I'm hoping to submit to Apple this week) and I'll try and make a video too! That might help sell it a bit more ;)

Anyway, hope this piques your interest! Like I said, more details soon!

QS :D

2. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Got any videos of it in action?

3. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Not yet! Sorry :(

I like to have the game pretty much finished before I do that, but it'll be in the next few days for sure!

Just putting the finishing touches on it as we speak and hoping to have it ready for submission soon.

If I can manage that, then a video will surely follow!

Cheers for taking a peek though!

4. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Yeah I am just new to iOS so it is easier on me to judge if I think I will be interested in a game or not if there is video of it. I actually like the more old school style graphics that you are going with. Good job.

5. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Why thank you - and welcome to iOS gaming :D

Don't worry, there WILL be a video - I always try and be as open as possible, and a video's always a good way of attracting potential players!

I'll certainly look into making that as soon as I can!

Thanks again!

6. subdeath

subdeath Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Marketing
    New York
    i'm a big fan of air supply.i always played it for more music and color themes and other cool unlockable stuff.

now i start to looking forward for your coming new game!

7. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you sir, that's very kind! I have it on good authority that Air Supply likes you too! :D

This will have unlockables - but I'll reveal them when the game's done. They're lots of fun though! :D

And there'll be more Air Supply early next year with any luck! I just made this for my mum as she found AS a bit difficult.

So this is MUCH simpler - for her! But it's also got a bit of depth to it as well I hope!

It's all a bit of an experiment really!

Thanks again for the very kind words!

8. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I've beta tested this game this morning, and so far I'm hooked! Very unique concept for a game!

Look forward to playing more! :)

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #9 quantumsheep, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Thank you, mate! I'm always worried about what you'll think of my games, so it's very gratifying that you like it!

Thanks for taking the time to play it and give me valuable feedback, as always!

And now for something I've just added that isn't in the build I sent you.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY NOKKEN!!!

[​IMG]

FEAR HIM!!!

10. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Awww... Nokken looks way too cute to be scary...! Maybe that's the point eh? Sucks you in with those big red eyes, and cute profile, and then BAM! :)

11. ShempSter

ShempSter Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Was this made with gamesalad?

12. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #12 quantumsheep, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, yes it was.

As are all my iOS games. Including Air Supply, which got a lot of favourable coverage on multiple review sites and made quite a few people happy on these forums and elsewhere!

I understand your point of view, btw (having read your previous posts on TA), and I agree with you. A lot of rubbish gets made with GS.

Same as Corona. Or Unity. Or Xcode. But perhaps more so with GS as the barrier to entry is pretty much zero.

I like to let my games speak for themselves though. If you don't like it, then I totally respect your opinion.

But the SDK I use has no bearing on the ideas that go into the concept and the gameplay. Nor on the music and graphics (made by highly respected musicians and artists).

Some people can't see past that. Fair enough! But I'm happy to say that most can, including forum members and journalists from well respected sites such as pocketgamer and 148apps amongst others.

Anyway, for those still interested I'm hoping to have a video up soon, and a submission to Apple soon after that!

Cheers everyone! :D

13. ShempSter

ShempSter Member

Apr 16, 2010
    #13 ShempSter, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    I did not mean it in a negative way! I've seen your posts on the Game Salad forums too, so I was curious if it was done in GS because it does not look like the typical junk!

I started hanging around the Game Salad forums because I would like to start doing my own games, and it seems like a nice package after downloading and playing with it. I noticed that you and a few others who post over there are extremely helpful, especially that tshirt guy! But I also noticed there are a lot of scammers (exchanging votes and rating each others apps) and thieves (people who steal artwork and templates) in those forums! You are right that this happens with all engines, but for some reason it seems to happen more over there.

Not wanting to derail your game thread, I wish you luck with it. Its nice to see some good stuff from that community!

Edit -- I will most likely pick this up for my kid to support people like you

14. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Cheers - I hope your kid likes it!

15. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Just a quick update!

Hello everyone!

Well, the game is pretty much done I'm glad to say, but it's far from finished.

I've been getting a LOT of feedback from the testers.

Some of them love it! (yay!)

Some find it way too easy.

Some find it way too hard.

No-one hates it yet (which is encouraging as I'm hoping that means the actual 'gameplay' works!)

So this is the crucial phase, really - balancing the game for as many different people as possible!

Not easy, I can tell you, but I hope to give it my best shot :D

Of course, I'll be looking out for your comments when the game's out in the wild as well!

Anyway, just thought I'd quickly update you on where I am!

Cheers for reading!

16. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Awesome! Always been a fan of your games, QS! Especially Kraken! Still play it a lot! Look forward to this one!!!

Man, it's been a while since I posted here. LOL.

17. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks fella, nice to see you out and about here! :D

I've been making some small changes to the game thanks to player feedback from the testers.

It really is invaluable getting others opinions before release! It means that when people try it when it's actually out, they're (hopefully) getting the best game I could make at that point.

After that, it's responding to what the masses request I guess!

Excited to be almost done. I'll get a video done soon as the game's finished!

Cheers everyone!

18. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    Art style is has a lot of appeal. Just basic and fun looking. Video soon?

Also, great to see someone using Game Salad. We use Unity, but I've been very curious as to what level of game can be made with GS. Seems like a pretty user friendly program.

Anyway, nice work so far, looking forward to seeing more!

19. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Air Supply had a great unlocking system. I found myself replaying it so I could hear all the music. (And to get a decent position on the leaderboards!). So I'll be interested to see what surprises are in this new game.

20. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks!

The original art was done by a friend of mine I worked with at Headstrong Games. He's awesome, and has worked on several Wii/DS games.

Unfortunately he got busy, but I managed to get two other artists involved, again both with a huge amount of experience, to help finish the game!

I hope people enjoy the look!

I'm hoping to have the game submitted to Apple by Friday with any luck. I've been implementing a few ideas and suggestions made by the testers. Always good to get more eyes on a game *before* it releases!

Hopefully will have a video by/at the weekend! :D

Thank you!

This is very different to Air Supply, but yes, there are unlocks in there, and I hope people will find them fun!

I'm always thinking of the replayability of my games, so I'm hoping the stuff I've put in will keep people playing well after they 'finish' the main game.

Cheers everyone!