Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 PM

EDIT: rescinded my previous comment here, and I'm not hating on this game anymore. Tired of constant complaining by people who won't even give it a shot. I don't want to be in that camp anymore, and for $1, it's worth a try. DON'T hate what u haven't played. It's all well and fair to take advice from other players, but still....form ur own opinion based on play. This game is good. If u don't like runners, stay away. Otherwise, with a quick troubleshoot, the game plays very well with no hick ups or crashing on 5s

Last edited by chief78; 02-05-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

This is a nice little game. Firstly its Marvel. Next its got a nice variety on the boring runner genre. The hero theme is really well done. There's nothing not to like here if you like runners, a runner with a Marvel theme and a runner which is not a carbon copy of every other runner out there. This is a kill, smash shootem up runner which is good for the genre.

I've mastered every runner out there and got bored with them all so I've been waiting for another runner to come along and this is really cool with Marvel heroes and all. Love the variety in this runner. So this will now be my next runner to master.

I'm really enjoying this on my ipad and I think they did a really good job first up. Next update should be even better.

This is a not just running runner!! Love it!!

Last edited by worldcitizen1919; 02-04-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM

I went ahead and bit the bullet. Running on iPhone 5s....WAS CRASHING AFTER EVERY RUN, but here's the solution:

I tried the uninstall and that didn't do it.

Per help.disney.com, try this instead (or maybe in addition to if still having issues):
1) go to settings on ur device
2) tap on general
3) tap on accessibility
4) turn ON option to reduce motion

That did it for me (thankfully).

Honestly, first imps are pretty good. It's nothing revolutionary, but the game is fun. We'll see if there's future updates that allow more than 1 crystal per day (since it says on one of the load screens to come back for more tomorrow).

EDIT: I was able to get around 1500 gold by my 5th run, so at the outset, the game seems pretty accessible. BUT the cost of heroes (either by paying with gold or crystals) is laughably terrible. IF you were to use crystals to pay for the cheapest hero (which I believe is Cpt Marvel....Ms Marvel), it would take 35 days of logging in to obtain that way. Hopefully there'll be balancing tweaks to the cost, because payout is pretty decent thus far.

***I wouldn't go writing this game off, it's actually pretty good and VERY reminiscent of JJ, which it most obviously drew its inspiration from***

Last edited by chief78; 02-05-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Well crap, all I get today is the load screen of disappointment. Kinda funny cuz I'm about to go hulk on my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (193.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Aha!! Message screen finally loaded....maintenance on servers. Hopefully that fix it
Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Now that I've played this for a few days, I wanted to leave some imps.

Gameplay is spot-on (at least on the 5s), with no slowdown or hiccups, and most importantly, NO CRASHES. There's a fix to prevent the app from crashing, which is what most of the App Store reviews pertain to. Too bad, becuz with a simple fix the game is pretty sweet.

Premise is simple, follow the coin trails no matter who you're playing as, and subsequently avoid all obstacles by sticking to the coin path. Of course this gets much harder as the run goes. Also of note is that each hero plays differently. Cap and Black Widow are runners. But cap jumps forward and not as high, whereas Widow jumps straight up (a little further than cap) and has a much more verticle line down. These adjustments take a little time, but once u get the feel, u know what to expect when each hero tags in.

Grinding is a part of the formula, so it does take time to build your agent and save for the other heroes. ***Tapjoy offers are currently not working. I'm waiting on 8400 gold to pop up. I put a ticket in and still no response, so we'll see what happens*** With that aside, an average run will net most between 300-500 per run. That's with base stats.

Gold and crystals are the 2 currencies. Gold lets u upgrade ur 3 agent stats, and play the chance wheel for hero power ups. Crystals let you do the same thing. The difference is if you spend 100 gold on a chance for ur hero's bonus abilities, you get a low tier version of that. Crystal guarantees a higher value version of this. An example of these abilities would be extra hero time, getting 30% of ur special gauge filled when ur hero tags in, more coins for that hero when running, etc....there's several, but from what I can tell, it's random how u obtain them. I spent a crystal on one hero and he went from 2 abilities to 5 that were also better stats. Low-end gold ones last for 1-5 secs and high-end crystal ones last for 3-7 secs. The abilities automatically activate depending on the situation, so no need to really understand them until ur playing.

Your agent has 3 categories to build up.
1) coin value, which will go up by 1% once you invest in it a bit, and is tacked on at the end of your run to the total coins collected. 10% of the total coins is converted to gold (along with the % increase based on where ur agent is at). So, for instance, if I get 3000 coin in a run, net gold is 300 + whatever the multiplier is (Mine's 10%, so an extra 30 coins in this instance).
2) ISO time, which is actually the amount of time ur hero stays active. This is an across-the-board stat, so if you have it beefed up to 10 seconds, all heroes who come into play (by your agent hitting the hero token on the way by) will come on for 10 secs.
3) magnet and invincibility time - says just what it is.
Currently, I have all at level 10, and have been able to make it to 4000 meters in a run with over 120,000 score. Now I'm focusing on a hero. And yes, heros are expensive, which is why the app pushes Tapjoy on you....of course it'd help if TJ actually worked.

Areas of opportunity: Obviously it's an online only game, and thus far I've had a day where they were doing server maintenance. That really sucks when trying to play, and cost me lots of time yesterday. But this is Marvel and they're usually pretty good about this stuff. I would hope that a future update includes local saves so that we can keep playing offline and just sync when there's a good connection to do so. Also, as mentioned above, TJ needs to work!

The game does have a few GC achievements as well, and daily challenges that are quite easy to beat (and will net a 1-time use power-up on the nxt run and 500 gold). However the only way to see your score against anyone else is thru FB. I don't subscribe to that crap, so no leaderboards for me.

That's the game in a nutshell. Absolutely good time, and well implemented play. All the haters, if u haven't played it, don't knock it. I've honestly not had this much fun with a runner since JJ, and this game has the same exact premise (get as many coins as possible while avoiding obstacles) and even appears to have the same graphical assets. I highly recommend this to those who can overcome the online requirement and have a $1 to burn. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by chief78; 02-08-2014 at 10:29 AM..
Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 AM

I'm actually loving this game.
But...on my iPad 2 it performs horribly.
Constant crashing.
Constant frame rate dropping.

But the game is really fun...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM

A quick update this morning is supposed to have fixed some of the bugs and allows for more than 1 crystal each day. I had one yesterday, booted up this morning and there were 4, so nice to know crystals will multiply for successive days. Hoping the big fix lets more players in so they'll start getting some good reviews. Having a blast with this game, grinding towards Thor, who is 80k (2nd most expensive). Able to consistently run around 2k-3k meters per run, with total gold earned (including 10% coin boost) between minimum 500 to 800. I do wish there were regular leaderboards instead of FB access only. For some reason my game center won't pull up any games so I can't tell if that functionality even works. Good times though.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Kat View Post
I'm actually loving this game.
But...on my iPad 2 it performs horribly.
Constant crashing.
Constant frame rate dropping.

But the game is really fun...
The app description shows optimized for iPhone 5, and iOS 7, which might be part of the problem. Did you try the recommended trick of turning off motion in the accessibility section under general settings? I posted it when I had this issue on my 5s. It at least works for this.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 PM

Servers down while they update the game....looks like more characters are (finally!) being added

EDIT: update came out, but it added Falcon, Red Hulk, and Winter Soldier....all kinda cool but falcon has reverse flight controls (holding jump makes him swoop down instead of fly), red hulk shoots a mini gun (??) and Winter Soldier sounds like the only decent one....they're all still too expensive though

Last edited by chief78; 03-04-2014 at 01:07 PM..