Good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RHess00, Aug 6, 2015.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Besides gaming, my other hobby is reading. I really love a good book. My favorite author is the late Sir Terry Pratchett. I was really sad to hear of his passing from Alzheimer's disease. I've read over 40 of his novels and I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar author. I also like Neil Gaiman, Steven king (although not much of his recent stuff), H.P. Lovecraft, Tolkien, and I enjoy a classic once in a while. Fantasy is my favorite genre but I like supernatural horror fiction as well and I can read just about any well written book. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #2 klink, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    River of Stars and Under heaven by
    Guy Gavriel Kay

gene wolfe torturer series

c s forester horatio hornblower books

The Aubrey–Maturin series Patrick O'Brien

Wool by Howey

The Martian by Andy Weir

I've currently doing The Sorcery! Trilogy by inkle
    https://appsto.re/us/Tlu17.i

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon - the maddest, baddest book I have ever read. Almost to the point if I were a writer I think I'd give up as I can't imagine anyone writing anything better.
    It takes a while to get going, mind.

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    World War Z. Forget the awful movie, the book is one of the few I've ever read to actually give me chills.

If you like Tolkien you should read Silmarillion by him too.

You'll have to resort to digital versions if you can find them, but I HIGHLY recommend Harry Harrison's books - the Deathworld and Stainless Steel Rat series are still some of my favorites.

Then there's Simon R Green, especially the Hawk and Fisher and Secret History series.
    (The first is a modern style "cop drama" except set in fantasy "medieval" times and with magic and far better than 80s cop shows. The second series is about a wealthy organization "policing" and defending our modern world against supernatural beings and invaders. Men In Black style-esque, but different and unique in its own rite.)

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik are more in the general fantasy style. Dragons and all that.

If you read and like those, feel free to reach out to me and I'll look through my collection more thoroughly. If we have similar tastes it would be helpful!

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. So many good books! Don't know why I've never heard of Harry Harrison but most of his books are free on kindle so I'll definantely give them a try. Wool looks interesting. I like dystopian/post apocalyptic stories. Against the Day looks like an Epic story and the Simon R Green books look really good. Now I just have to choose....

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Surprised Game of Thrones wasn't mentioned yet

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Read the free sample of Wool on Amazon, it's about a community that lives in a Silo many generations after an apocalypse, the only contact with the world being the cameras on the Silos surface.

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I read the Wool Omnibus Edition and it's quite good. It reads quickly and keeps you glued to it. Unfortunately I felt it lost a little steam at the end but that's not uncommon for a new writer. It's like he had a great idea but wasn't sure how to round out the whole story.

I got another meaty suggestion: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. It's different because it's seeped in Japanese culture.

9. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've considered reading it. I've never watched the show and I try to steer clear of articles with spoilers. It seems like anyone that talks about the show only talks about the controversial sex scenes and how the main characters are always dying. I'm guessing there's more to the books though.

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I've read them. I have mixed feeling about them. I enjoyed them but the story is very dark and the characters contain few redemptive qualities. Even more frustrating is wondering if R.R. Martin will ever actually finish the series.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Post apocalyptic. I read the book in one sitting because i couldnt put it down it was that gripping.

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I read a plot summary and it definantely sounds unique to say the least.

13. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    It's like a car wreck that you can't look away from but afterwards you wish you never saw it.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Perhaps, I thought the book showed some of humans worst qualities, but some of the best as well. Taken as a whole, whether one looks at the book in a positive or negative light, rests on a knife edge. That is one of the strongest qualities as it really is a book that is difficult to feel neutral about. I ultimately found solace in the ending and the triumph of persistence in the face of unending horror.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #15 klink, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    You guys have some great recommendations. Maybe we need a TA book club. :)

16. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    That's kind of what I thought. I'll probably stay away then. I like to root for the good guys too much.

As far as not finishing the series, that would be terrible. I remember when I was reading Steven Kings Dark Tower series (the first book is one of my top five)and he was in that car accident. At the time he said he was retiring and probably wouldn't finish it. That was heart breaking but he ended up finishing it anyways. It took him 30 years from beginning to end but he finished it. Amazing book series by the way. I'd recommend it to anyone.

17. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Metro 2033, far better than the game, it's really atmospheric and to be honest, it's by far my favorite post-apocalyptic book ever, also, 1984, that book is amazing.

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Thanks for tip. I never finished the Dark Tower series because of the reason you mentioned. I'll have to pick it back up again. It's funny because I don't think of myself of a big reader. But thinking back on it I've read quite a few books.

19. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Sounds like fun. My reading time is sporadic though. Sometimes I'll read a book in a week and sometimes it takes me 6 weeks. Depends on what my schedule is like. I guess a book club would motivate me to make time.

20. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez