Prisoner 84 - Hidden Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by HiddenJ, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiddenJ

HiddenJ Well-Known Member

#1 HiddenJ, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

John again at Hidden. Been a long six months but I can now announce the game my friend and I have been working on as Hidden Games.

Prisoner 84

Prisoner 84 is a game that takes place on Tryton; a maximum security rig situated a few miles offshore. Prisoner 84 wants to escape and the game takes you through his story.
    It is a 3rd person action/adventure, with a bit more emphasis on the adventure with puzzle solving throughout the game.

Hopefully we will be sending this to Apple very soon, and will keep everyone updated along the way. You can also keep up to date via our blog at http://www.hiddengames.co.uk

UPDATE
    Moved to the release forum here...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=61106

Teaser Vid
    [hqyoutube]0hkTnAk5zi4[/hqyoutube]

(Update)
    Images
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

2. That's looking pretty impressive. Atmospheric environments and good graphics at the very least. Will this feature any iPad or iPhone 4 enhancements?

3. HiddenJ

Cheers Mindfield,

At the moment, it's very iPod/iPhone orientated, it works all the way back to 1st Gen iPods on 2.2.1 which is what I own and develop on, so everything had to fit around that.

However, I don't think there would be too much of a problem to beef a few things up for the iPad once I've update myself to the all the latest SDKs and look into some cool updates.

4. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Nice trailer video!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. The graphics look a bit PS1-ish, but the music helps to give it atmosphere, and I like the fact that the focus will be more on adventure/puzzles rather than on action -- exactly what made the early Silent Hill games work so well.

6. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Graphics looks good,
    looking forward to this one. ;)

7. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Will this be sandbox style or linear?

8. HiddenJ

Thanks for the thumbs up chaps

Yes we're trying to get a good mix of Res Evil (new and old)/Silent Hill with some good old fashioned puzzles in there. We're a two man team and we're trying to push graphically as far as we can go but still allow everyone down to 1st gen users to still play.

It's fairly linear, it does open gradually but there are various parts that you can do in different orders and it unlocks different parts of the prison. There's a few secrets and extras all over the game as well, so you are free to go looking for things like that.

9. bebo_beta2002

bebo_beta2002 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    woooooooooooooow ... i swear am gonna love this game woow..first of all i adore horror games especially the resident evil and silent hill combined games...and form trailer and screenshots o gotta say that will be one hell of a game hidden J ..but really woow can't really wait for this awesome horror game...but is there a specific release date?

10. oaqque

oaqque Well-Known Member

wow looks impressive :)

11. It does look quite impressive, despite the blocky character models, and I do enjoy a break from action-packed FPS games to go with a more suspenseful horror theme. Very nice indeed. Any plans for iOS 4/Retina Display enhancements? (And perhaps the attendant higher poly counts that could go with it)

12. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Wow...looks great!! Cant wait. ANy estimated release date yet?

13. Wow.
    Looks scary and heads are a bit blocky (lol) but texture graphics are good.

How will combat work?

14. HiddenJ

Thanks everyone,

We've put a lot of work into getting the atmosphere as good as we can. Glad it's coming across in the screenshots :)

@bebo_beta2002 & IpodLady

Release date is very near. Hopefully it will be sometime in July. We're nearly there.

It's a fair comment that the graphics may not be up to super high end on the character, but we do have some features that I'll show below to make up for it :) . The levels are pretty high poly and a lot of texture work has gone into them with some really nice shadows. One side that we'll show in a gameplay video soon, is the puzzle system which makes a lot of use of the touch technology. We tried to come up with some clever ways of using it. I've heard about the retina bits on the iPad, which has my puzzle brain buzzing and trust me, with the power of the iPad we could go a lot further. We'll have to see how well it does on the iPod/iPhone and hopefully it will make it possible to invest in buying an iPad to do a HD build with some extra content.

Combat is nothing too complex but has a nice twist ;) . The combat is similar to Resident Evil 4/5. Over the shoulder view however you can walk, aim, shoot all at the same time in this.

So the feature of the combat...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the enemies we actually have a mini-gib system that allows random parts of the body to be shot off. It's not amazingly detailed, but it does add a really nice variety to enemy encounters as you can shoot the flesh off the torso, head, arms and legs to reveal the skeleton. Quite nice when you're being chased :) .

Thanks for the comments. I'll keep everyone up to date with release dates and news.

15. ASB

ASB Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Wow! Your game looks great! What do you plan the price to be?

16. And environmental reflections, which were a very nice touch.

The Retina display is for iPhone 4 -- 960x640 display, 326ppi. Plus, the iPhone 4 has the A4 system-on-a-chip presumably clocked higher, and can probably squeeze more performance out of that PowerVR component due to not having to shuttle bits across the bus anymore. The bonus is that it's easy to scale to the iPad from there; same A4, slightly higher resolution. You just have to tweak the UI for the larger screen on the iPad.

Nice! Brings me back to the days of Soldier of Fortune (PC) and the controversy it caused over the same limb-destroying capabilities. :)

17. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I was going to ask about how the controls worked, but seeing the image works. Thanks and I will look forward to your game!

18. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Does the d-pad look a bit odd to anyone else?

19. Bucks

Bucks Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Student
    TouchArcade Supply Closet
    so where is this at in developement? in percentage?

20. This game looks great, I'm really looking forward to seeing it out in the app store. Again, what do you think the price would be like?