hardcore RPGs, a la Baldur's Gate?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jensen, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I loved BG/BG2 on my Mac. I really want something like it for iPhone. Not a Diablo-esque action-heavy game or Japanese-style game like Zenonia, but a story-heavy, strategic combat, D&D-inspired game with (preferably) hand-drawn environments.

Is there anything like this out now, or anything announced that fits this description? I saw Ravensword and, though not strictly like BG, it seems like the best bet, and it's coming out this Fall.

So, what else?

2. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    nope, and it might be awhile until we see any

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I have the very same 'need', still unfulfilled byt the current App Store offering.
    Closest things I played and had fun were Underworlds and Dungeon Hunter.
    Ravensword seems good, but more on the Oblivion side than BG (the other ones I cited were on the Diablo side).

Still waiting... :(

4. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Would be nice, eh? I ended up listening to the "Icewind Dale" soundtrack twice last week to sort of replace the lack of such a game on the device.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Curious that you mention it.
    Last week I reinstalled it to have another playthrough with a friend of mine.
    We're loving any minutes im The Spine as the first time.

It could imho PERFECTLY reproduced (even enhanced) on the iPhone.
    Other candidates are Ultima 7 or Temple of Elemental Evil.

I just hope to see an invasion of WRPG in the App Store after the JRPG (albeit imho very low on quality) one.

6. dpashkin

dpashkin Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The Quest?

7. Trotgar

Trotgar Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    But screen size would be a problem, the UI had to be perfectly designed, or much simplified.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
  9. donner

donner Well-Known Member

yeah - the quest is the best hardcore rpg on the iphone so far. when all the expansions are release there will be close to 5,000,000 hours of game play i think.....

10. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    lmao.... more like 50 hours

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #11 drelbs, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Gotta plug an oldie but a goodie, DragonBane II.

Betatesting Undercroft, which is totally awesome as well, much more like Eye of the Beholder, with a party, etc. Keep an eye out for it. :rolleyes:

12. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The Quest in it's current state (ie: with both expansions) has about 120 hours of game play and is the best "true" western rpg out right now.

13. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    no way.... FF VII is easily clocked at 70 hours, and thats a 1.3 GB game (if you download it on PSN)

14. deputy

deputy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    New York
    Are you saying that you think the filesize of a game effects how long it takes to complete? If so, than you're wrong.

15. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    you can cram more in there

16. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    #16 Jensen, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    Undercroft seems the best bet for the short-term. I have heard it compared with Dungeon Master which, while not very like Baldur's Gate, is a game I have very fond memories of (Dungeon Master 2 specifically). Should be out in the next few days!

Also, just downloaded the lite version of The Quest, which I just discovered, so I'm sure that will hold me over and give food for thought in the meantime.

17. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Doesn't mean anything. Nowadays, most of the game's data goes into texturing/music. By having minimal amounts of both of these, and a good compression algorithm AFAIK, the Quest has TONS of gameplay.

18. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I've got 5 dollars on my account burning a hole in my pocket. Undercroft needs to come out soon before I blow my money on some stupid 99c apps.

19. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    FF7 was 40 hours for me. And most of the filesize is due to all the FMV's that Final Fantasies use, not gameplay time.

20. kenkin34

kenkin34 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Are you talking UNDERCROFT will be out in few days?! Any reliable sources? If it is ture, really a very gooooooooood news to me!