$1000 for advertising our app? :P

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Carlos, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Just wondering who thinks it would be a good investment to spend $1000 for promoting Libra Balance?
    And if not, why not? ;)

2. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I'm not a developer nor do I know the first thing about developing but what I've heard is from most developers is advertising usually turns out to cost more money than it actually brings in.

Word of mouth from consumer to consumer is definitely the most effective form of advertisement, but it's difficult for a developer to really get that started.

I do know that seeing an ad on a web page for a game does not attract my interests whatsoever. When a friend tells me about a game though, I'm much more apt to check it out.

3. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Or, what you should really do, is go around site to site and find a person or two to advertise your product like crazy for X amount of weeks and then pay them like $10-$20 in iTunes credit.

4. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    yea...im sure that a person (like me) who knows a lot of kids could show off the game to their friends and work hard to get the notice out on other forums other than this one...sometimes a review helps too. I know that i dont look at an advirtisement and want to buy something...i just think the dev has money to waste. A review + videos go a long way on forums....screenshots usually dont do a game justice...paying a kid/adult is much cheaper than paying a site, because the kid wants the itunes money to buy apps and stuff

5. MyLilPWNY

MyLilPWNY Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    lmao ur asking if ur app is worth 1000 and thread right under urs is asking if theirs is worth 40000

6. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    i shall average the money and start a new app worth.. $20,500... too soon?

EDIT: GoldGlover411 is right... child labor via iTunes gift cards :) Why didn't think about that... hmm... Im kinda serious.

- Matt
    mehware

7. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    I had the idea first! :mad::p

8. goldglover411

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    #8 goldglover411, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Think about it. Kids would work for a 25$ card. Even per week you could get almost a whole year (40 weeks of advertizing and having people get the word out and review it. People are more apt to listen to a person who is not the dev pitching the idea rather than an advertisement

(btw if you use the idea i do charge a creative idea fee of $25 itunes money )

9. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I would say the answer is as simple as: Do you think the advertisements would pay themselves back in profits, and are you willing to risk $1000 to find out.

One thing you could improve is the screenshots. They really don't show any gameplay or anything. I still don't even know what the game's about.

10. goldglover411

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    any old person can pay for an advertisement....good game or bad. Thats how i look at it

11. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    #11 Mondae, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    I will work for 15 dollar card for three month. I post on forums regulary. thinks bout it.:)

12. goldglover411

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i would work too....i need the money....@15 per month you could get one person for 66.6666666 months....but a better idea would be 5 people for 13.333333 months.

dude...you post on forums regularly? you have 48 posts

13. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Gosh, I joined the 28th. Waddaya want man that's alot of post per day. Fine three

14. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I think advertising is a waste of money for most people. I've seen some posters say to use advertising as 'branding'. In other words, an established game uses advertising to build recognition, but the key is that it already is successful. Advertising can allow you to ride the wave to success. If you advertise an unsuccessful game, there's no wave to ride on.

15. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#15 Will090, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Personally I don't pay attention to adverting unless the ad is REALLY compelling looking. Even then, it might get my click, but I'm not going to buy it until I get some impressions. I personally really enjoy Libra Balance, but the quality of a game doesn't matter until you get the click from a potential customer. So if you are going to invest in a banner or something of that nature, it would not be a bad idea to post your ad in this thread before to get impressions on it before you buy the actual ad space. I mean I saw a GTA:CTW ad on TA and had it not been GTA I would never even have though twice about clicking it. All it was was a black backdrop that said Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on it and had a quote from a critic. A good example of an ad would be the one for Angry Birds I have been seeing around the site, if I didn't already own it I would definetley click the ad

Attached Files:

16. bryanmitchell

bryanmitchell Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    The initial advertising budget for Geared was $1250. I borrowed it from family, and the ad helped a lot. I doubt it would have made it to #1 in Paid Apps without the advertising here on TouchArcade. I've heard from others that advertising did not help them as much. It really depends on your product, the audience, and and other factors that leave the final decision in your hands alone.

17. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Good for you. I love to here the AppStore success stories. It makes it look like a bright horizon of a new platform.

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I think the only type of advertising you should do is child labor for gift cards as suggested above.

Then use the rest of the money for your next app.

19. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

do you think you can afford to lose the money if the whole campaign fails (which i suspect it will)? if so, then go for it.

20. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Personally, outside of word of mouth, I feel the best way to advertise is YouTube video. It'll take a lot of work, but it's free and really compells people to purchase if you do it correctly!